OLD NEWBE

Posted by: easy rider

OLD NEWBE - 07/12/09 02:40 PM

Hello
Im new to fly fishing but aged in salmon/steelhead rod fishing. The family bought me an Orvis 8 wt . I have never used flys or a fly rod so I took a 8 hr lesson and discovered that there is alot to it. It seems kind of like drift fishing but with a quicker cast. So I guess Im wondering where to go and what setup to use. I like the Klickitat, Deshutes , White Salmon , Little White Salmon and even Drano.

Thanks
Bill
Posted by: Speyguy

Re: OLD NEWBE - 07/14/09 12:50 PM

I'd say whichever has the least vegetation along the river for your "new to you backcast". ;-). I still lose a lot of fly's to the trees, but recall it was much worse when I was younger...I've only been to the Deschutes out of your list, and after seeing the "Seasons on the fly" show on sunday about the Deschutes, I made some tenative plans to go down there. Welcome to the tribe....Tom
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: OLD NEWBE - 07/15/09 09:48 PM

Easy Rider,

There's good fly water on the Klickitat and Deschutes that I know of. I've never fished the White Salmon or Little White Salmon, so can't say for sure about them. From what I've seen of Drano, I don't know that I'd want to fly fish it. Welcome to the enlightened side of fishing.

Sg