West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide?

Posted by: Z-fish

West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/08/09 09:18 PM

I am going to Yellowstone beginning of August. Any suggestions for a good guide service in the West Yellowstone area?
Posted by: sodfarmer

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/08/09 09:21 PM

madison river outfitters
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/08/09 11:30 PM

Beautiful country out there. Something about watching fishermen in the Fire hole river, with steam coming off around them, and Bison in the back ground. I love it.

Sam
Posted by: chasbo

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/09/09 03:27 PM

I have a story about fishing the Firehole. It was early spring about 40 years ago. It was so cool to locate one of those hot springs to stand near and enjoy the bathwater warmth. Caught a few small trout and enjoyed sharing the stream with a herd of elk.

On the way back to the parking lot, along an undercut bank, just downstream from a picnic area, I flopped down a Royal Wuff. A huge bow rose circled then returned to the undercut.

Then within seconds came a slice of Wonderbread gently spinning, about a foot off the bank. CHOMP! that fish came out from the same bank and took a huge bite out of that slice. He was one of those trout that seemed to be as long as your arm, Splash he took another bite not ten more feet down stream.. then another and yet one more. Four strikes not a crumb left.

I stood there and deeply recorded that scene in my memory, mumbled to myself something about matching the hatch and moved on downstream.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/14/09 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: chasbo
that fish came out from the same bank and took a huge bite out of that slice.

Back in early Oct I stopped by my uncles ranch in Lewistown, MT. He has a small creek running through his property. I asked him if he had any trout in it. He said yes and told me about how earlier that summer he had been walking the creek and came across a low-twenties 'bow that had eaten a freakin squirrel. Only the tail was sticking out of it's mouth. They were both dead. Now that's ambitious!

I will have to remember the wonder bread story. I think I could probably tie a 4x4" bread slice pattern with white rabbit fur smile
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/14/09 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Originally Posted By: chasbo
that fish came out from the same bank and took a huge bite out of that slice.

Back in early Oct I stopped by my uncles ranch in Lewistown, MT. He has a small creek running through his property. I asked him if he had any trout in it. He said yes and told me about how earlier that summer he had been walking the creek and came across a low-twenties 'bow that had eaten a freakin squirrel. Only the tail was sticking out of it's mouth. They were both dead. Now that's ambitious!

I will have to remember the wonder bread story. I think I could probably tie a 4x4" bread slice pattern with white rabbit fur smile

SICK!
not quite a squirl but close smile we dont mouse, we rat smile
Posted by: Irie

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/18/09 06:45 PM

If you have time try driving south to Jackson, WY. There's great flyfishing there on The Snake, and the local NPR affiliate gives fly fishing updates on conditions, catch reports & hatches twice daily.

I miss Yellowstone. I don't know about going peak season again, But I'm jealous anyway.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/19/09 06:42 PM

Also near Jackson is the Gros Ventre. Holds quite a few trout, even some big uns. Killer view of the Tetons.
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/24/09 11:36 PM

I spent the entire summer after high school in and around yellowstone. Cutthroat fishing was fantastic as was the bows and browns in the Wind river.
Posted by: HURRICANE

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 11/27/09 02:10 PM

Madison River Outfitters: They are the best. I go every year and always spend a day or two with them.
Posted by: maryyang

Re: West Yellowstone - Flyfishing Guide? - 12/02/09 02:37 AM

search.mtadirectory.com is the online yellow pages which includes listings, website, emails and profiles for Yellow Pages and White Pages. The area serviced in Alaska includes Anchorage, Eagle River, Palmer, Wasilla, and the Mat-Su Valley