Steelhead on a 4 wt

Posted by: jam session

Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/23/10 11:45 AM

Just got back from a week on the Grande Ronde. I broke my favorite rod while I was there and was down to my 4 wt on the last day. Did manage to land this fish with it on a skated dry though.

Here's a couple other shots from the week:

Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/23/10 10:13 PM

Sweet and Wild! What a fish on a 4 wt. If it was any bigger,...
Posted by: Mingo

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/24/10 12:18 AM

damn nice fish!
Posted by: SkykomishSunrise

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/25/10 11:50 AM

Sweet! Good job at landing that steelie!
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/25/10 03:49 PM

Always bring a back-up rod! Fortunately, a lot of Ronde fish are 4 wt material, tho I would never choose a rod that light for steelheading.

Sg

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/25/10 04:30 PM

Yup, though casting a #4 fly, especially if there was any wind, was tougher than fighting the fish. The fish were in two distinct classes this year. 4-6# or so hatchery fish and natives that averaged about 10# like the last photo.
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 10/28/10 09:22 PM

Nice work. I'll be there in about 15 hours. A good friend has a "cabin" off Sangster Rd and meat hanging in his locker. Makes for some nice dinners and warm nights.
Posted by: fred evans

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 12/20/10 07:28 AM

Even 'more fun' if the rod were a 3 or 4 wt two hander.
Posted by: Doctor Rick

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 01/01/11 12:44 AM

My buds and I joke about being "Manly Men" while doing various and sundry assorted things and this would qualify as being material worthy of a "manly man" but I would use a 6 or 7, or in my case , the only steelie weight I have, an 8 weight.

Sometimes, bigger is better.

But it would be fun to catch a steelie on a 4 or 5.

And, have a great New Year!

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 02/02/11 01:43 AM

Do a 'Google for R B Meiser Rods (here in So-Oregon) .. his 3-4-5 two hander is a total delight for low water summer run fishing/landing.

fae

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 02/02/11 01:20 PM

Fred,
Thanks for the link...interesting site. Were you referring to the "switch" rods around 10.5-11ft? Tell me more why you like them. I have not yet learned how to cast a two hander and am interested.

I have been using a GLX 10ft 5wt single hander (3rd photo) for this until I broke it. It has a cut 8wt followed by shooting line and is great for single pickup casts of the flies I am skating. The 4wt is definitely too light for this when it is windy or a longer cast is needed but handled the small GR fish in the first photo just fine.
Thanks
JAM

Re: Steelhead on a 4 wt - 02/06/11 06:37 PM

There are times I can be a complete ..... It's a Sr Citizen thing I think? Went to answer your post and zip/nada/no way/can't do it/etc.,

It really does help if you 'Log in......'

Anyway, there's the direct link to the rod: http://www.meiserflyrods.com/meiser-12.php

Gary Anderson, ACR rods, is also here in the valley and designs/builds his own line of custom rods. Have several rods by both fellows and they ARE the 'Cat's Meow.' Toss a SpeyCo custom reel on one of those and you have one heck of a fishing tool! These are reels hand made, one at a time, just for you, not one of a 10,000 run ... which sell for the same kind of $$ ($400 - $500). Built strong? You could pound nails with these Puppies ..... your Great-Great-Great Grandchildren will be using this bit 'o kit.

Though 'competitors, Bob and Gary are actually very close friends. Bit of a difference in design philosophy in how they design rods. Bob's are (typically) have a multi-line rating, Gary's a single.

How you address the multi-line bit with Bob's equipment is in the choice of grain weight(s) you'll choose to string the rod. As an example, the above has a grain range of 250 - 400. Sounds like a lot, but at the lower end, you really do have a 'stick' that behaves like a three weight. Higher end ... a 5. Lighter line, softer delivery with smaller flies. Higher # of grains, the larger the fly.

Anyway, if you want a 'bespoke' bit 'o kit, I couldn't recommend any one more highly than the three above

Fred