Desert Lakes

Posted by: stonefish

Desert Lakes - 02/06/12 07:10 PM

Less then three weeks before the opener.
Anyone else planning on hitting the dry side?
Posted by: The Catcherman

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/06/12 09:01 PM

If there are any lakes ice free on March 2, I'll probably hit it. Or if I get my new pontoon ride done by then, maybe on the OP.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/06/12 09:32 PM

Upper Hampton been good to me on the March 1 opener. Like that lake.

c/22

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/06/12 10:10 PM

chromer,
No more 3/1 opener on UH and some of the other Seeps. They changed it to 4/1 opener a few years ago.
To bad because March always produced some really nice carryover fish.
Best thing about many of those lakes is they are planted with fingerlings rather then instant gratification finless genetic zombies.

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/07/12 03:08 PM

Chuck,
I've had my best luck there fishing olive scuds, egg sack scuds, pink scuds, parachute chironomids and stripping leeches.
Did I mention scuds......? wink
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/07/12 04:18 PM

A place on my bucket list map is Mann Lake in SE OR.
But lo and behold some fool(s) put goldfish in it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregoni...ted_in_eff.html

Maybe I'll do a spring trip to that corner of the state if I can control Springer Fever.
Posted by: Zen Leecher aka Bill W

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/13/12 12:48 PM

I'm planning on fishing the seep lakes for the opener. It's not that bad of a drive (now).

I've been fishing Rocky Ford lately as a warmup. Caught fish 6 of 9 times so far.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Desert Lakes - 02/13/12 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Never fish the lakes over there but I am looking forward to trying to get one of them picky sons of biotches on rocky ford to actually fight me this spring.

Chuck, i have some flies my dad tied that will work really well on RFC... since you have given me all the stuff you have, i can send you a few if you would like? just let me know...