Harry Lemire Passes

Posted by: Cobbly Cruiser

Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 04:03 PM

A legend passes. For those that haven't already heard the news........... http://www.matalone.net/Harry%20Lemire/[/url]

Just glad Dave and I could share a few laughs with him last fall. frown
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 05:18 PM

Sad Day. I had a pleasure talking with him on the few occasions we met..

I'll always get a laugh out of "Harry who?"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 05:33 PM

wow, that is sad, my father would be heart broken.... tying flies without a vice is about a masterfull as you can get...

RIP sir, you will be missed....
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 07:02 PM

I've known Harry since 1973. I miss him already. I have a few of his flies that I think I'll have framed.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 07:46 PM

We all have our favorite run.
Someday it will be the last time through.

Feel the current on your belly and those slippery rocks under your feet for as long as you can.

RIP Mr. Lemire.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 09:03 PM

Glad I had a chance to chat with him last fall. He was truly a legend in the steelhead fly fishing community.
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/27/12 09:44 PM

This is very sad....I feel very blessed to have spent some time with him a couple years ago...

RIP
Posted by: Todd

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/28/12 12:14 AM

Glad I got a bit of his time on the Kispiox, as well...he will be missed in the steelhead world.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Robbo

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/28/12 11:59 PM

Really sorry to hear that. Harry was truly a legend, yet you would never have known it. Sad deal!
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/30/12 10:21 AM

I have to relate a good Harry Lemire story. Last fall while staying at a cabin near the river, Harry was staying next door. Dave V. brought Tye along on our trip and also some of those huge plastic blue ball type chew toys with the little ends to tie a rope to. These chew toys look exactly like a giant scale strike indicator, only about a foot around! I told Dave to put his shoes on and follow me. Lets go have some fun at a "dry fly" purists expense. No harm, just some good old neighborly ribbing is all. doh So Dave and I knock on Harry's door and he answers it. (Remember, this guy wouldn't be caught fishing anything but drys) I hold up this massive blue chewed to heck ball and tell Harry; "We heard you lost one of your strike indicators today on the river and we recovered it for you. Would you like it back?" Harry and his buddy as well as Dave and I had a great laugh! It was priceless to see the old man bust up! Good times, good times. thumbs
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 06/30/12 10:26 AM

I was so glad to see that harry had a great sense of humor. That was too funny!

This is the "strike indicator" Danny is talking about.

Posted by: GreenSauks

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 07/02/12 07:24 PM

Oh man! Sad day for sure! He was a fine gentleman, and I'll really miss seeing him in the fall!
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Harry Lemire Passes - 07/07/12 10:32 PM

Today was Harry's memorial. About as good as a memorial could get, a celebration of Harry's life actually. Harry had a lot of good friends in the fly fishing and steelheading world. Some good stories told, mostly about fishing, fly tying, travel, and good food. A hearty toast of single malt was raised to Harry's memory, followed by sharing more stories. At least a couple stories of Harry's disdain for indicators and bobbers and the inevitable jokes that were necessary to capitalize on that.

The guy was an artist. He tied flies that are perfect in appearance. I've held and cast bamboo rods he re-finished - to perfection of course. When he got into tying exhibition flies, he also made his own shadow frame boxes for them as well. Wood working, also done perfectly. A craftsman, an artisan.

I'm glad I knew Harry before he was "famous." I don't think I would have been so comfortable in our friendship had I known him as someone other than "just Harry." A few others in the assembled group agreed. Harry would have too. He wasn't comfortable in that kind of role, and was most uncomfortable whenever someone acted as though he were a celebrity. Marlene, his wife, assured us she will attend the Christmas party this year, and that is good to look forward to. I'll hear Harry's Rhode Island accent in my mind for years to come.

Sg