recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line

Posted by: big moby

recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/05/12 11:55 AM

Have not fly fished in years but looking to dust off the gear.
Here is the deal. Want to fish coastal rivers primarily for searun cutts. I have a mid 90's model st. Criox imperial with an orvis battenkill reel. Just looking for a general purpose line.... used to use a double taper but wondering if i should go with a weight forward?
Posted by: stonefish

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/05/12 12:19 PM

I agree on the WF.
A couple of suggestions depending on your budget.
Upper end in regards to $$$ - Rio Gold or Airflo Ridge
Value lines $ - SA Professional, Rio Mainstream or Cortland 333

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/05/12 01:15 PM

Cool! Probably going more budget.
As far as flies for summer cutts. I used to do ok with hair's ear nymph and olive buggers. Any other suggestions?

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/05/12 01:23 PM

Spiders, Reverse Spiders, Spruce, Stimulators
Copper Johns, Lightning Bug, Muddlers
My favorite colors for SRC's are yellow, orange, red or black.

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/05/12 01:57 PM

Wow, thanks for the tips. Been out of the game awhile. Need to google some pics of those...
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/05/12 06:25 PM

I'm using a Royal Wulff triangle taper line on my 4-wt. I can't tell you much about what advantage a triangle taper is supposed to provide, but I like the line a lot. It's on the higher end of the price scale, but I'm inclined to spend more on a good line as compared to other components of a fly fishing outfit for trout.

I would add to the list of SRC flies anything that resembles October caddis, in any stage of its life cycle. An orange stimulator works for the adults, but the nymphs are usually darker in color. Especially from September on, it's all about the October caddis; I've seen coho rising to them before when a good hatch gets going (only once, but hey, you gotta admit that's food for thought).

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/06/12 12:14 PM

Thanks for the advise. Looking forward to hiking the upper wilson and trying to catch those babies!

Another question, leader/tippet length? Strike indicator? I used to use a small corky but found it would screw with my cast a bit....

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/06/12 12:30 PM

7.5' to 9' 4X or 5X leader should work fine with a floater. Go shorter if the stream is bushy.

Lots of folks like using thingamabobbers for indicators due to their light weight.

If you don't like using indicators, just use a big ginked up dry fly like a stimulator as you indicator. Run a nymph dropper off the hook bend of the dry. You'll end up catching fish on both flies doing this.

Re: recommendation for 3/4wt. fly line - 07/06/12 01:57 PM

Awesome! Forgot about the dropper program. Going to give it a shot this weekend
Thanks again fellas