A little SRC Action

Posted by: SRoffe

A little SRC Action - 08/09/12 12:36 AM

The other night C/22 and I grabbed some rods and reels and went in search of some Sea Run Cutts, all the while to escape the heat.

Brad and I found some willing fish.

And got to enjoy the sunset from my parents house too.

Posted by: stonefish

Re: A little SRC Action - 08/09/12 11:06 AM

Nice work Sam & Brad.
Posted by: SkykomishSunrise

Re: A little SRC Action - 08/09/12 06:02 PM

Sweet!
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: A little SRC Action - 08/11/12 11:28 AM

You two need to enjoy the summer more.... wink
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: A little SRC Action - 09/09/12 02:02 PM

Here is the one we are all looking for.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?attachments/dscn0079-jpg.18598/

A 19-20 inches of late summer perfection.

Pure as they come

c/22

Re: A little SRC Action - 09/09/12 02:51 PM

Caught a nice 16" perfect SRC Wednesday evening out of the Honey Hole. Think I caught it twice in one night. Aggressive little fella.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: A little SRC Action - 09/17/12 09:02 PM

Sam,
Termites are flying. Time to break out the orange skaters.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: A little SRC Action - 09/18/12 02:37 AM

Darn lovely.

Re: A little SRC Action - 09/18/12 09:49 PM

Squat on Coho. Can't seem to keep them on the hook. At least the SRC are coming though for me.
Posted by: Smalma

Re: A little SRC Action - 09/19/12 09:55 AM

Sam -
Careful - those cutthroat can be pretty darn addictive. In spite of some off the chart coho fishing here in central Puget Sound I find myself heading out to one of the north Sound "S" rivers looking for sea-runs every chance I get.

As long as the streams flow stay low I'll be chasing one of my all time favorite fish!

Curt
Posted by: On The Hook

Re: A little SRC Action - 11/26/12 11:47 PM

What is the best time of year to catch them in the salt? I have always wanted to, just never got the chance until recently to try.
Posted by: Preston Singletary

Re: A little SRC Action - 11/27/12 11:41 AM

That depends a good deal on just where you are fishing. Generally speaking, the South Sound and Hood Canal provide a longer salt water season than the North Sound. In the larger North Sound rivers cutthroat begin entering the rivers as early as July though they'll continue to trickle in through the winter, becoming less available in the salt.

Due to the generally smaller rivers and streams in the South Sound and Hood Canal cutthroat tend to spend a longer period of time in salt water (Willapa Bay and possibly Grays Harbor as well), sometimes not entering their spawning streams until as late as December. Between late-entry fish and those who have spawned early and returned to salt water there can be a near-year-round fishery in these areas.

Taking these things into account, the best time to look for them in the salt is probably in the late summer and fall. Of course there are always exceptions, I've caught cutthroat off the beach at Golden Gardens, in north Seattle, in January. Keep in mind that coastal cutthroat, sea-runs in particular, are probably less-studied than any of our other salmonids (because they have no commercial value and, until recently, have not generated a lot of angler interest) and, at the same time, exhibit a wider variety of life histories than any of our other native species with the possible exception of the bull trout.
Posted by: On The Hook

Re: A little SRC Action - 11/27/12 02:03 PM

Thank you for the information.

I moved back to Western Washington this last summer and as I said, finally have more time to fish and be outdoors.

When you mentioned South Sound it peaked my interest as I now live in Shelton and my girlfriends parents have property on Hammersley Inlet and her Dad was talking about searuns, thus my question.

Again thanks for the info.