Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot)

Posted by: ColeyG

Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 12:02 AM

Twisting up yarn balls was starting to get to me so I had to take a break and try to remember how to use a vise, some thread, and feathers for a change.

I have always been a fairly utilitarian tier, focusing more on making things that fish like to eat as opposed to trying to make things pretty or in a given "style." I am still not quite sure why, but I decided to have a go at trying to learn a few of the components of traditional style spey flies. I figured it would be a good way to teach myself some patience and attention to detail, neither of which I tend to have in any notable volume.

Obviously I still have lots to learn and by educated standards the flaws are many. Disclaimers having been stated, here is my stab at learning something a little more "traditional."

The Akroyd...kinda.

Alec Jackson 1 1/2 and small oval silver tinsel. I have since switched to med and large tinsel and like it quite a bit better as it doesn't disappear into the body as easily.

Golden pheasant crest parts and pieces.

UV ice dub

Yellow cock hackle or schlappen.

Ostrich to separate the body segments.

Blue eared pheasant spey hackles and black floss.

A turn of mallard flank.

Jungle cock nail feathers for eyes.

And the almost finished product. Forgot to take a final photo after epoxying the head.

A couple of other experiments.

A cheap knock off of Dec Hogan's Skagit mist with an attempt at a married wing.

The white goose shoulder I have isn't quite long enough. Bummer.

Something in Kispiox blue.

I am going to tie a few more to get a little more familiar with the techniques and materials then throw the whole lot in the fire on principle.

Two months still spring. Counting the days.

Anyone else whiling away rainy/snowy days at the tying table?

PS - a special thanks to the banned user who offered expert guidance and perspective. I would mention his name, but it has been forbidden. One day I hope to do you proud.

Posted by: Bantam

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 12:48 AM

Getting all old school on us Coley! What's next? Some old school fishing sessions with Salmo and KK cigars, scotch, and ascots is the standard attire during the function. Get your delta line spooled up! LOL

Just messing with ya Coley! They look good! You should send me down some and fish em until your iced over motherland thaws out for you get to put them to good use.
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 12:50 AM

Those shall be the "Coley Classic". I'd be proud to swing one of those flies at the end of my line.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 01:18 AM

Remind me of your address Sam and I'll send you a few. I have no use for such things smile
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 01:52 PM

The things one can do when there's no cable and the weather is crap. wink

Nice examples of your creativity at the vise, CG....
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 02:34 PM

Coley,

I tied a dozen basic bait patterns yesterday as I've been running low. I'm not proud, and rather than you throwing your flies in the fire, I'll pay the postage for you to send them to me. I've been known to fish flies I salvage off of gravel bars, sharpen the hook, and then catching the steelhead of my lifetime on said fly.

BTW, good looking work, and way more elegant than the bait I've tied up over the last week.

Sg
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 03:33 PM

Beautiful, Coley! As others have hinted, the reason I don't tie a lot of that stuff is the time and patience required; I find I'm usually short on both when I sit down at the vice, cuz that generally only happens when I'm going fishing the next day. That said, I like fishing that style of fly a lot. They are a dream to cast (next to bunny leeches and weighted stuff), and they "swim" in a way that gives a guy confidence in that the fish will at least notice them. A traditional Spey pattern on a dry line makes a 6-wt. Spey rod very, very happy, and that hides a lot of my casting faults, thereby making me feel better about what I'm doing. I plan to spend some serious time doing that sort of fishing next fall when the Chehalis is choked with nets for three weeks straight. I have neglected the fall steelhead fishery in recent years, trying to get the coho dialed in. Not this year. Thanks for the inspiration and another great post!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
rather than you throwing your flies in the fire, I'll pay the postage for you to send them to me.

Interesting offer and one I might take you up on. Though you'd have to promise to coat them in shrimp scent and egg goo and drift fish them in exchange.

smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/13 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
rather than you throwing your flies in the fire, I'll pay the postage for you to send them to me.

Interesting offer and one I might take you up on. Though you'd have to promise to coat them in shrimp scent and egg goo and drift fish them in exchange.

smile

sick
Posted by: What

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/13 12:54 PM

About a week ago I made a plan to tie 6 shanks one day, 6 tubes the next, same pattern and colors each session, alternating days to keep things simple. (Basically fill up the boxes before the 15th.)
Since making the plan I've tied a total of 3 tubes and 3 shanks, dropped off and wrapped 3 rods instead...looks like I should be begging for a trade in services!

Nice ties Coley.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/11/13 02:09 PM

Sorry Coley, no can do. Shrimp scent and egg goo are regarded as bait, even on flies, and bait is not allowed under the Selective Fishing Regulations. Ya' wouldn't want me to be "outlaw" fishing, now would you?
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/11/13 02:35 PM

ColeyG... very nice! Never used such nice looking lures to fish with. Never had the patience I guess. I have tried over the years to create all kinds of spinners and such but nothing I ever made looked as nice as what you have going on. Thanx for the photo essay. I liked it!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/13 02:32 AM

It's only a problem if you get caught SG. And I prefer the term "renegade style" to outlaw.

I was hoping a few others might share their latest inspiration, project, or wild hair. I get bored easily and am always looking for something fun to copy.

Anyone have a good General Practitioner recipe + example? Also interested in Lady Caroline but have yet to research either.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/13 08:56 AM

Other than trying to finish repairing a rod for my father, I am researching shrimp patterns for sea run cutts in the salt.

Last year I was looking at the Crazy Charlie, and thought that a similar pattern would world for SRC. I tied one up in pink, smaller hook, and played around with it last summer. I'd like to refine the pattern.

I haven't had the patience to sit down and experiment with steelhead patterns. They're a work of art. I'm kind of the utilitarian fly creator, just looking to get the job done.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/13 12:00 PM

Coley,

Going renegade style could have some negative repercussions in my line of work, so I guess I'll have to pass on those beautiful flies.

A picture of my fly boxes, if I had one, would be totally non-inspirational. Utilitarian like Sam says. Sometimes I'm inspired to tie nice flies, but fishing takes its toll. One cast, snag, snap, gone. Back to tying basic bait to get the job done.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/13 12:38 PM

Coley,

Going renegade style could have some negative repercussions in my line of work.

Sg

Mine as well Steve. Kidding in each case, scent and law breakin. I might still have your address lying around. Between you and Sam, I could you a photo or two of one of these things stuck in a steelheads craw.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/13 05:34 PM

Address for condo or the new house? You may have heard about me and photographs while fishing . . . sometimes I do have a camera with me . . . not that much good comes of it.
Posted by: Dub

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/13 06:48 PM

Works of art as usual. No self respecting fish would ever think to spit one of those out!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/13 12:46 AM

Coley,

Going renegade style could have some negative repercussions in my line of work.

Sg

Mine as well Steve. Kidding in each case, scent and law breakin. I might still have your address lying around. Between you and Sam, I could you a photo or two of one of these things stuck in a steelheads craw.

Sheesh, that means I have to go fishing. Have a trip to Forks in a few weeks planned. I wish I could have got a picture of the Jig you made in a steelheads craw, but, I slipped, fell on my butt, and broke off.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/13 02:21 AM

So it goes Sam. At the end of the day, if you have a good story or two to tell, you are doing pretty well for yourself. The Akroyd army is coming along. Need to crank out a few more then get a few small care packages in the mail. Small in content, not in care of course.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/13 02:38 AM

Another simpleton bluish creation. Not sure what this one was inspired by. I think maybe I tried to imagine the two colors I think steelhead are least likely to eat and then decided to wrap them into a fly. At least it has contrast.

Woulda preferred medium JC for the eyes and wings that lay a little more flat, but beginners can't be choosers...or something like that. Need shorter hackles for bodies. Time to order some more feathers I guess.

Miniature Akroyd army, ready to march into battle.

Don't let me down Sam.

Salmo G, sounds like you might have a new address since I last sent you a care package. PM me with a new one and I'll send you a few of the factory seconds seeing as how you don't care much for pretty flies either smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/13 01:33 PM

Good looking Akroyd army Coley. I used to sit and tie flies at night for hours when I was young enough that I didn't need to wear the magnifier glasses. Now I'm only good for about an hour before the glasses start to bug me.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/13 09:23 PM

Keep it up Coley. Next step is to tie your creation on gold hooks and put them in a frame.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/13 02:04 AM

Last two, time to clean up the table and switch gears.

Something a little more natural using rhea and goose feathers I picked up in a field in Argentina. The rhea is a little hard to tame as compared to the blue eared pheasant and whiting hackles.

Nightmare spey? Tried a tented wing out on this one and I think i like it. No idea how it will swim as compared to the dee wings but I like the look anyhow.

No mas. Been fun to give something new a try and there is a lot to learn with this business. Gotta start prepping for spring though. Smolts and Dolly Lama's should probably be next on the list after a few rounds of yarnie production.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/13 01:36 AM

LIKE the nightmare Spey. Come October Caddis time, that one would flat get it done. I also really like the sparse blue and yellow ones above the Akroyd army. I'll fish any of the flies pictured in this thread, in case you need another field tester. I'm cool with a shrimp oil soak, too. Who am I to question a man's art?
Posted by: Gray Ghost

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/19/13 04:27 PM

It's only a problem if you get caught SG. And I prefer the term "renegade style" to outlaw.

I was hoping a few others might share their latest inspiration, project, or wild hair. I get bored easily and am always looking for something fun to copy.

Anyone have a good General Practitioner recipe + example? Also interested in Lady Caroline but have yet to research either.

Here is a SBS done by Marty Howard of his version of Tom Larimer's Sandy River Prawn. I tie my own version as well. Have fun tweaking it to your liking.

Tom Larimer had the recipe and pictures on his site, but has since taken it down. The recipe Marty has listed is Tom's original recipe from his site. The main difference I remember was Tom's Ostrich tail/feelers were longer than Marty's, extending out past the end marabou tips some and used UV Polar Chenille not UV Cactus Chenille .

Somethings I'll add/change:

Tail/Feelers: Bucktail (sparse, slightly longer and before the sparse Ostrich)

30-40lb. melted mono. black Sharpie eyes (extend back 1/3 of tail/feeler length after the Ostrich)

Under Body: UV Cactus Chenille, UV Polar Chenille (uv polar chenille sparse, palmered, with spaced turns over the uv cactus chenille)

Wing/Shell Back: Bucktail (sparse, slightly longer and before the sparse Ostrich)

UV Spray: CS Coatings UV Blast (light sparse spray)

Note: The added bucktail really helps balance the fly.

An excellent prawn pattern using a lot of movement materials, making it a great swimmer.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=34294

GG

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 12:07 AM

Image copied from speypages link above courtesy of Gray Ghost.

That is a good looking prawnish thing, plenty of fishy action no doubt. It definitely falls more into the marablob category although the grizzly hackle is a nice touch for some lifelike contrast.

GG I like your suggestions re: feelers and eyes, definitely good touches.

For prawn/shrimp patterns, I am really personally drawn to the segmented, natural looking stuff. Twitches Skrunk is about as good as it gets. I like the GP as well for the same reasons and it seems like there are some very nice variations on the original out there. I need some more materials to make that one happen though, GP red breast feathers namely.

Here is shrimpish thing that treated me well this fall that I have been meaning to recreate. I went to great lengths to save my last one, but eventually broke it off in spectacular fashion in the mouth of a chrome rocket.

Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 12:24 AM

Not that I would ever imbibe, but I've always liked the sparse, traditional spey.
Leggy and seductive.

Nice stuff, Coley.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 02:36 AM

Wings are a little long and a little high. I fixed those problems in later models.

I too have been visually drawn to the sparse, classic, spey "look" though I am not sure why. At first I didn't think it had anything to do with fishiness, but after learning more about the engineering in these flies, the style may be more fishy than I give it credit for.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 03:05 AM

Here is a different spin of the standard GP. The GP Intruder.

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/Intruders.pdf

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/GP_INTRUDER_S_by_S.pdf

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/videos-gp-heron-intruder.html

GG

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 03:32 AM

Here are a few of Marty's SBS speys with GP or Ringneck pheasant rump wings.

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=30880&highlight=REd+Ween

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=52063&highlight=dance+hall

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=63710

GG
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 08:30 PM

It is amazing how much you can miss a place that your barely even got to know. I wanna go back!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 08:38 PM

Word. Shoveling the driveway isn't nearly as much fun as fishing.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/13 08:43 PM

Wings are a little long and a little high. I fixed those problems in later models.

I too have been visually drawn to the sparse, classic, spey "look" though I am not sure why. At first I didn't think it had anything to do with fishiness, but after learning more about the engineering in these flies, the style may be more fishy than I give it credit for.

On the hangdown especially, with a little twitch perhaps.
There was suddenly a big wash........

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/25/13 10:40 PM

Took a stab at twisting up some tarpon flies for the world traveling angler sir Stam.

Not entirely happy in each case, but I was starting to iron out a few kinks towards the end of each batch. Might have to wind up a few of these for my own collection in case I wind up in a warm sunny place again one day.

Still have another coat or two of glue to finish the heads.

Psychedelic Herring

Sea Habit Sardine

La Cucaracha (cockroach)

And a couple of shades of Stu Apte's tarpon fly

Care package on the way Stam.

Hope they bring you guys luck and take me a photo or two if they hook something besides Dave's foot, second thought, take a photo of that too.

Posted by: stonefish

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/25/13 10:45 PM

Nice work Coley. Those will hunt.
You going to epoxy or a uv cure on the heads?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/25/13 10:56 PM

Being my first experiment in this realm, I have started with three different products, Hard Head, Softex, and a clear epoxy. Trying to get a sense for which will be easier to work with and turn out the best results. The Hard Head and softex are nice to work with, but being thinner, they take quite a few coats to build up the head. The expoxy is a pain to work with but due to the higher volume and thicker viscosity, makes quicker work of it.

I know nothing about this UV cure business of which you speak. Good way to go?
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/25/13 11:22 PM

Whats the hook on those salty flies?

Looks stout but black? Don't they need to be stainless or tinned?

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/25/13 11:32 PM

Gamy SC17 Tarpon/Saltwater 2/0.

I was a bit thrown off by the color/ finish as well as it seems like most saltwater hooks are the silver stainless variety. I like the Tiemco 800s for smaller stuff.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/13 12:16 AM

Coley,
I've used two UV cures, Clear Cure Goo and Loon Knot Sense.
I really like it. Just zap it with the light and you are done. Way easier then turning epoxy.
After it is cured, there is a slight tackiness. You can remove that with a alcohol wipe or coat it with Hard as Nails. I use the Hard as Nails.
The tackiness will go away if you set it out in the sunlight. Good luck trying to find some of that at this time of the year. wink
My CCG light cures Knot Sense.

Other brand of UV cure are Bug Bond, Tuffleye, Diamond Hard and Solarez.

If you go on YouTube and search for "uv cures fly tying" you find some videos on the various products. This will give you a general idea of how it cures.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KhZUWNKPF-o

SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/13 12:27 PM

More good work Coley! You're a regular pro, except for working for free. I've become partial to a tarpon fly, whose name eludes me at the moment, but it's got a rabbit strip tail and a wide, flat head. I haven't figured out how to tie that head yet, or what poly material to use, so I buy them at PS Fly Anglers in Tacoma. The tarpon like 'em in black, purple, and blue.

The strip wing flies swim good, but sorry to report that the red one has taken up residence on some submerged wood on the OP the other day. I think I'll save the remainder for the Dean this summer, assuming we make the draw. The flies are too nice to fish real deep.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/13 12:34 PM

SG,
Would that be a Toad tarpon fly?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/13 03:19 PM

Ah yes, Toads! I like how they swim, and the baby tarpon love 'em too.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/03/14 11:36 PM

It's that time of year again. Short days and long cold nights means too many hours spent looking for entertainment inside doors, otherwise known as tying season

I've had some fun projects so far this winter twisting up some stuff for friends taking warm water trips.

Lots of boner fish. Mainly the usual Crazy Charlie varieties but with a few new twists and, uh, turds thrown in. The first few batches of twenty some dozen so far this winter.

Moanna's Chili Pepper

Moose Turd

George Bush

I took a stab at knocking off a few of Kelly Galloup's articulated streamers. He's got some pretty badass stuff and I really like his big bug philosophy for trout. Check out his online fly shop and patterns if you haven't already.

A few Boogie Man variants. I didn't have any white deer hair for the heads and instead had to use bucktail. Less than ideal.

A a twist on the Sex Dungeon with a little more sculpin flavor for locale.

Fry patterns rock in the spring in these parts and here are a few quick and dirty versions that have treated me well.

Simple marabou fry. Been digging the UV fly finish, thanks Stonefish. Talk about quick and easy!

DNA fry

Ugly version of a wiggle tail fry...ugly but deadly.

And finally, just to throw a little bit of sacrilege into what could otherwise be a fairly civilized fly fishing discussion, the EZ Thread Yarn Ball factory has been cranking as of late. Must be steelhead season in the PNW?

(pardon the card, sometimes yarnie photos show up elsewhere without permission)

Anyone else dusting off the bobbins to lash feather and fur to hook as of late?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/03/14 11:57 PM

Coley,
Glad to hear you like using the uv cures. Really no reason to use epoxy anymore.
Sometimes those blind Charlies will do the trick when nothing else will.
No flies being tied for me recently, but since you mentioned yarn balls I'll add I've been tying up while watching bowl games.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/04/14 12:03 AM

Great looking stuff!

I dig the prawn jigs. Very fishy looking and nicely done. The articulated rabbit varieties are sweet as well.

Bonus points for a new nightmare application as well smile
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/04/14 01:50 AM

Sex Dungeon! Where are the Zoo Cougar's Coley?

Stoney - yeah gotta agree with Coley - those prawn jigs are handsome.

Nice job fellas!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/04/14 01:34 PM

So are you guys using Clear Cure Goo?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/04/14 11:34 PM

Sam,
I've used CCG Tack Free in the past. It works fine, but I've found it not to be tack free. As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, you need to either coat it with Sally Hansen's or get it outside in the sun to get the final cure. I used the CCG light as well.

Over the last six months or so, I've been using a brand called Crystal UV. It is truly tack free as advertised. I buy it from a member on WFF who goes by Silvercreek. I'd highly recommend his high power light. The light is so strong If you don't wand it over the uv cure the cure will start smoking.
It will cost you about $50 to get started with the cure and high power light.
I used it an my salt flies this summer and it held up really well to getting whacked on the beach. I really like his product and don't
really see myself using CCG again.
Here is some info on his product.
http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/uv-resin-system-t42344.html
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 03:44 AM

I've been using Loon's UV Clear Fly Finish and can't imagine anything being easier. It takes about 8 seconds of exposure to the light and the finish is clear, hard, and not tacky at all. No complaints.

They offer two different sized lights and I went with the larger of the two at friends recommendation.

I also went with the thick , which is definitely thick, but that doesn't seem to be a bad thing as you haven plenty of time to move it around and even out proportions before it runs off on you. I'd like to try the thin for the sake of comparison, but again I can't think of anything that needs improving with my current setup. Very glad to have put the epoxy and softtex away.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Banned User
...you talkeetna boyz got all the cool stuff

Including all of our teeth.

Jealous quilbilly?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 01:51 PM

Amazing hook trickery.

Great work !

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 01:52 PM

Coley,
Good to here the Loon product is working well for you. I was using Knot Sense Sense. A fly shop employee had told me all the Loon uv products were the same, just sold under different names. That obviously isn't true based on your experience.
The light I used may have played a bit in the tackiness of the Knot Sense as well.
I only had one of their tiny key chain type lights so I used the CCG light on it.
I hear you about epoxy. I doubt I'll ever use it again. The uv cures are just way to easy.

Based on my research, it seems the light plays a large role in the final curing process. Different lights may or may not fully cure with the different uv products on the market.
I have noticed that changing the batteries also helps. Fresh batteries seem to improve the curing process.
SF
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 02:19 PM

Spent a few hours on this married wing fly. Marrying those 75 or so calf fibers for the perfect over wing is tedious business.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish
The light is so strong If you don't wand it over the uv cure the cure will start smoking.

Guess you could give your self a sun burn with that light, eh?

I ordered the CCG stuff from WW yesterday afternoon. I'll see how it does. I'm not liking what you say about the tackiness of the cured finish. Hope I have different results. We'll see. If not, it's not the end of the world, I'll make due.

There are some bait patterns I want to tie that have had epoxy heads. I can see some using some of the thin finish for still water flys.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 05:04 PM

Nailed it wntrrn!

Don't stare at the light Sam, it's pretty, but it hurts.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 06:59 PM

Don't stare at the light Sam, it's pretty, but it hurts.

Now you tell me????

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/14 10:49 PM

Been tying a bit myself, will try and contribute a pic or two when I get off work.

Well....you working nights?
I know you have a problem with cameras and posting pictures, but "will try" sound like promise to me. grin
Let's see what you've been twisting up John.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/14 01:47 PM

I'm getting low on bait myself, so it's time to hit the vise and tie some more.

I'm not familiar with this high-falutin' UV stuff. It this to put plastic heads on baitfish style patterns? I tie very few salt water flies, but from what I've read and heard, eyes make a big difference when it comes to getting eaten.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/14 01:58 PM

Salmo,
The UV cures basically takes the place of epoxy.
Super easy to use, just zap it with the UV light and it is done in a matter of seconds.
No more epoxy mixing, yellowing or turning to dry.
It is good for lots of uses like baitfish heads, chironomid bodies, wing cases, scud bodies ect. Any pattern you would have used epoxy on you can substitute with UV cure.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/14 04:26 PM

Good stuff John.
I like both the sunrise and fly pics. Nice looking patterns.
4th fly picture, fly in the front with the white wing.
What is the orangish / pink body material?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/14 04:45 PM

Very, very nice. You are an artist.

I am envious of your whiting stash. I've used all of the longer hackles from my black cape. What is the barred orange on the throat of #1, one o my favorites.

The GP over wing is a nice touch.

Pulled the trigger on that JC cape a few days back along with a few other supplies needed to get back into the classy stuff. I gave away most of my Akroyd stash in BC this fall.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/14 10:40 PM

Wow KK that's some solid work.

S_F those prawn jigs are $$. I love the cerise one, maybe just a bit fatter body w/ more pronounced segmenting?

I'll take my usual dozen, lol

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/07/14 10:25 PM

Nice work, Quillbilly.

Wandered into a Quillbilly neighborhood....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/10/14 11:05 PM

Got a care package from AO Feathers a few days back.

Some much needed eyes.

AO has a ton of awesome stuff, not just highfaluting, extended pinky tying materials either. Check out his hot tipped marabou. Very generous portions of top quality marabou.

He has got some split goose feathers died in a wide variety of colors that make very nice spey hackles. Much easier to work with and far cheaper than BEP.

http://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/

Now I have to see if I can remember how to tie an effing Akroyd.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/10/14 11:17 PM

Very nice looking materials. I dig the hot tip marabou.
I plan to do a bit of that myself this year with buck tail as well as some window bleaching to get the right colors.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/11/14 03:27 PM

I think I like them. I've twisted up maybe half a dozen using the goose so far and no complaints really. I soak them (as per instructions) in water for a couple of minutes prior to wrapping them up. Quills are thin enough, very pliable, and super strong. Not brittle at all. Not as thin as whiting but way

Bit the bullet on a couple of silver grade whiting rooster capes yesterday. Orange and black.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/11/14 03:54 PM

Your ascot is in fine order Coley.

Guess I didn't get the memo regarding soaking the split/burned goose before tying, so I didn't like 'em. I've just kept on with heron feathers. Only problem is they only come in blue dun. If only I could find some green heron or night heron.

Nice Akroyd. I still have 3 of the flies you sent me last year from my B.C. trips. I'm still open to becoming a fly 'ho the way Paker is a boat 'ho.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/11/14 04:05 PM

If you are still in need of baits Salmo, let me know what you are looking for and I will send a few your way. Could use the entertainment smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/11/14 04:09 PM

Here is another of the goose immediately post hackle wrap.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/12/14 02:02 PM

Because steelhead aren't picky, I'm not picky. I'd never turn down quality bait by Coley G. The last batch fished well on the Dean, Buckley, and Thompson last summer and fall. I don't fish them in the winter because they are too nice to fish deep and hang up and lose on the stones.

You make that goose hackle wrap and lie better than I do natural heron.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/12/14 02:58 PM

I'll pull together some more utilitarian type stuff for you. Weight or no weight?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/13/14 12:01 PM

No weight.

You da' man, Coley! Take that, Paker!
Posted by: Mingo

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/13/14 01:04 PM

This level of tying skill and artistry is why I'll never post up one of my ugly bugs on here. Oh the shame!

Nice work Coley!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 11:23 AM

Nice Work ya goat roping white devil! I think you need to make those heads a more sparse, they aint gonna swim looking like that!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 12:16 PM

Ill play...
Some of my recent ties from the dry spell of weather and sh!tty fishing in Nov.-Now. My apologies for the poor quality pics but you should get the idea what lies with in the ties.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 07:32 PM

Nice bugs Bantam!

I'll be curious to see what you think of the goose KK. I picked up some of the puglisi brush yesterday. Not sure what to do with it though. Maybe I'll put it one a few flies for Salmo g and see what he thinks of it.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 08:01 PM

I agree Coley, Nice flies Bantam!

John,
What EP brush are you using?
He has multiple brush products. The only one I've tried is the Anadromus.
I used it on some jigs. Nice stuff but not cheap for the amout you get.
Need to look at it for some baitfish this summer.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 08:23 PM

Ill take all of your heron and polar bear please.

I could only find purple and orange in the anadromous brush. Would like some pink but ill have to order.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 08:25 PM

......and a Metz #1 grizzly neck was 40 bucks.... It's all expensive these days.

And a Hoffman was around twice that, IIRC.
http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/feature-article/oldfeatures/feature_30.php

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 08:58 PM

KK, got any blue grizzly hackle? Or a good source for JC cape?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 09:28 PM

Thank John.
The brush makes a pretty nice looking jig. I tied in marabou underneath to give it a bit more body and cut down on the amount of brush needed.
The Rvrfshr sickle is well hidden in there wink
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 09:41 PM

Nice work guys. Good bad weather hobby.

Bantam looks like you have it down, was watching a vid awhile back w/ A.V. tying up a popsicle like your 1st one. Lots of work in the details to get it just so & still swim right.

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/14/14 09:52 PM

When I saw Bantam's bugs, I too thought of the Princess of Chilliwack.
Ape likes 'em big.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/15/14 12:08 AM

Lots of steps in all of them... watched a lot of videos and buddies tie some bugs over the summer while out in Westport. Time to test them later this week thru the weekends drop!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/15/14 12:18 PM

I've been digging the bear hair for an underwing type application on intruder style flies. It perks up marabou and softer materials that go over top and adds the appearance of bulk and profile without actually adding too much.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/15/14 12:57 PM

BU,

I don't have all the heron. I see plenty of them flying around almost every river. Plumage is absolutely prime right now. I'd share some with you, but it's illegal to send even pre-ban through the U.S. mail. Same with polar bear. A friend brought a whole bear home with him down from AK in the pre-ban days fortunately. But he won't let me snip anything off it, and it's just hanging on his wall. I just have a few chunks left of old stuff, some dyed.

This thread is so inspirational I might sit down at the vise tonight or tomorrow. If the rivers keep dropping I'm gonna' need some fresh bait this weekend.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/15/14 01:55 PM

Nice looking bugs and backdrop.
Posted by: Colon Kaepernick

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/15/14 06:54 PM

Those earings are dope Yo! They would go great with the drag outfits me and Hank wear on the weekends!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/19/14 06:20 PM

Heres another big bug for this winter that should swim pretty nice... I need to build myself one of those swim tanks for all the flies ive been tying as of late.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/19/14 06:44 PM

I am always surprised at how a flies profile changes when it hits water and current. Those "big" bugs often turn into medium sized ones and the ones that seem about right out of the water usually turn into smaller and thinner than ideal once wet. The swim test is key.

Looks like you have some rhea, ostrich, couple colors of amherst, and grizzly? What is the darker material around the collar with shorter barbs? Can't tell if it's just darker there due to shadow effect or if you have something palmered in there. Looks nice dude. Toss a wing on the top for some added contrast. A strand or two of something flashy on the lateral line would really set it off. I'd hit it and/or cast it.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/19/14 07:26 PM

The collar is squirrel tail. Ive been using it since last year, I prefer it over bucktail because its less buoyant and water seems to make the squirrel pop and prop the desired materials that need it.

No rhea used in this intruder, mostly ostrich herl. Theres a few strands of dyed peacock tied in reverse in the tail to help prop the ostrich in the tail. This was first of probably many of this pattern. I'll need to see how it swims first before it gets mass produced.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/19/14 07:39 PM

Squrrel. Nice. I picked up a piece of arctic fox and like it or that application as well. Less bulky and easier to work with as compared to deer.
Posted by: metaladdiction

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/21/14 11:54 AM

Were you in Poulsbo yesterday BU? You must be talking about the other little short dude. Nice intruder Bantam. Working on getting the fishing room put together, then I am back to tying.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 01:20 PM

Me, post photos? Yer kidding, right? Too bigga' PITA. I tied a half-dozen fresh baits, sorta' shrimpish, sorta' pinkish-purple. Close enough?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 02:31 PM

Should be a care package showing up for ya any day Salmo. Nothing fancy, just a few quick and dirty utility baits.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 04:31 PM

You post three old photos and suddenly think you've earned the right to act as photo nazi? It will take at least three more for you to have earned that role smile

But seriously, how about those pics?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 05:21 PM

Way to bring it and nice spread. I like that golden pheasant. Have a few tail feathers for wings but they don't work quite as well as turkey.

I like that black goose as well. Pretty classy for a quilbilly.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 06:33 PM

John,

You can send me flies anytime too. Good stuff. Most of my stuff is pretty utilitarian. So it's fine if my bait never happened. I don't think I've ever taken a photo of a fly. Do you have to put the camera on macro setting? Where is that button on a Nikon PAS? See, there's more to it than just the PITA of trying to post pics on the forum. I have done it, and it was never as easy or simple as Paker and Todd said it is.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 08:09 PM

Macro = magnified or larger than scale. Most halfway decent point and shoots have a macro setting these days, but not all. It's is the button or menu selection that looks like a flower in most instances and macro is definitely handy for close ups of small things.

Captn DR does twist up a good looking bait. I recall an sexy ghost shrimp pattern from a while back I wouldn't mind copying.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/23/14 08:21 PM

Beer goggles is what you need, not macro...unless you are trying to find your junk, then macro might be of use to you.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/28/14 12:15 PM

Care pkg arrived yesterday. Thx Coley! Nice bugs; betterin' what I usually tie fo' sure.

Just returned from 3 days on the Skagit, so won't get these wet for a week or two. Maybe I should save a couple for mounting in a frame for that future day when Coley becomes an internationally famous fly tyer. Whooaa!

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/28/14 01:16 PM

Glad the package showed and sorry I didn't get them there before your Skagit mission.

Wasn't sure what size hooks you prefer. The stinger loops should be sized for #2 and #1 at least.

Good luck!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/28/14 04:52 PM

I don't think I have a fish picture less than 2 years old. Besides, there is that PITA issue, remember? I don't even have Paker's instructions for posting pictures anymore.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/29/14 05:05 PM

Come on Salmo, lets see some pics of your ties.
Hell.....even KK is posting pics. wink

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/29/14 06:57 PM

I'm thinking at this point even a blurry picture of the moon would be considered acceptable. grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/29/14 09:59 PM

Oooh, even a blurry picture of the moon - such a challenge.

OK, let's start with my excuses:
1. I don't upload photos from my camera to my computer more than 2 or 3 times a year;
2. Last time I tried to upload a photo it didn't work;
3. Even when it works, it's laborious and cumbersome;
3.a. I had to go to photo section of PP and then to pic file location on computer;
3.b. then PP separately emails me a link to the photo;
3.c. then I have to go to my email, capture the link;
3.d. then go back to PP post and paste link;
3.e. and that's just the hassle I remember. It's a complete cluster fvck. I don't know how you cool photo posters put up with it. So it's not so much being flumoxed by the process, but rather zero patience and very low tolerance for hassles.

I honestly don't have a single photo of one of my flies in my possession. If I can find the instruction book for my Nikon Coolpix I'll see if I can figure out the macro setting and take a picture of my "fly box." This could take a while.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/29/14 11:02 PM

I started playing around with an Intruder style fly inspired by the Akroyd. Tried to use the same or similar materials and color scheme but with the more modern intruder body style and hang back hook rigging.

Couple of versions, one with JC wing and the other with grizzly. Added some yellow rhea and some silver crystal flash in the tail and a turn of marabou at the head. Used some amherst instead of mallard flank for it's the longer barbs shooting for a longer more slinky fly.

I think I like the idea, but I have a ways to go to refine the pattern. A lot of the detail in the body is lost and probably not worth the effort. Perhaps I'll try a few more of the classic patterns in a more modern "style." Kinda fun.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 01:04 AM

Nice work Coley. As usual.

I was looking for the macro thingy on my camera and discovered that the battery is exhausted, so it's on the charger. Maybe tomorrow I can get to the next step.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 12:06 PM

The Macro has landed......

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 12:11 PM

I predict Salmo g will come through big time with some killer pattern pics.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 04:53 PM

Prawny type thing.

Fish eye view

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 05:00 PM

Very nice Coley thumbs
That will het eaten.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 05:30 PM

Yep. Orange AO goose for the hackle and two salmon colored whiting feathers at the head.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 05:45 PM

That prawn is gonna be a straight up killer. Nice tie dude

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 07:11 PM

Lady Caroline.

Wings a little short. Used all of my XL mallard. L isn't quite long enough. Ah well.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 08:20 PM

Lady Caroline.

Wings a little short. Used all of my XL mallard. L isn't quite long enough. Ah well.

That's a gorgeous bug, Coley.
Beautiful head, too....svelte.

I need a cigarette and I don't smoke.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 08:40 PM

Mr. Mountie is getting crafty while all bunkered in this winter.... Nice ties broheim! I need to get a few new lines for those traditional style flies, casting and just overall fishing.

Here's two for my approval after playing around with some silver pheasant some White Devil Quillybillie recommended me to give a try in my ties. Its pretty nifty material, I like the longer fibers and I use less of my more desired feathers(ostrich). Kinda wished i had one of them fancy swim tanks right about now... these should swim nicely.

Weighted 5/32 eyes

With out weighted eyes

Double stacked....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 09:04 PM

Pretty wicked Bantam. I might have to give some of this silver pheasant stuff a try. KK seems to like it and he hasn't steered me wrong on materials yet.

Might try a few Sol Duc's on for size next.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 09:17 PM

Progress is real slow. Accidentally found the macro button (now don't know how to turn it off, and can't find the camera manual) and took a few shots. Then the picture wizard would only load the first third or so of the 415 photos going back to Belize in April 2012. Can't figure out how to get it to look at the most recent 4 or 5 shots on the card. FVCK! Maybe yer beginning to see why I don't bother. T'ain't easy when you don't know what the fvck yer doin'.

BTW, that is one sweet LC Coley! Great late summer, early fall pattern. I also like to fish it from a floating line following T-14 Intruder chuckers thru low clear water. Picked pockets more than once that way.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/30/14 10:47 PM

Couple of Sol Duc variants.

One little more full with the goose and schlappen for hackle.

And the other on the sparse side with a BEP hackle.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 12:49 AM

BU - do you have real, real Florican Bustard or a substitute? Isn't the real deal extinct ala the Dodo?

I think I have a pile of the real deal actually (seriously)....I'll have to check Grandpa's stash.

$7000 a feather - friend pricing of course... rofl

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 11:18 AM

I know - just messing around on the price.

But is it real Bustard or substitute? I thought it went extinct? I'll have to research some more.

Once I find the stash, I'll see how much I have and if enough - you and Coley are welcome to a couple of feathers. IMO - I wouldn't fish with them...I'd hang those suckers on the wall in a shadow box....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 11:34 AM

A quick search has proven you to be correct sir. Not extinct, just extremely rare. I'll look for my stash this weekend and report back...
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
A quick search has proven you to be correct sir. Not extinct, just extremely rare. I'll look for my stash this weekend and report back...

You should have plenty of time Sunday , say around 3:30.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 09:11 PM

The once elegantly plumed Harold wandered into a Quillbilly neighborhood one evening.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 09:14 PM

They taste like chicken.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 09:44 PM

This thread has some great pictures. It could use a few more.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 10:04 PM

Cough, (Salmo), cough.

If worse come to worse, Salmo, email me your photos and I will post them on your behalf. Yes, that's cheating, but perhaps the monkeys would leave your back alone for a day or two anyhow.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 10:09 PM

grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/31/14 10:38 PM

Intruder silhouette.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 05:15 PM

Microsoft camera wizard will only recognize the first third of the photos on my SD card. So I installed the Nikon View and Nikon Transfer software that is specific to my camera on the 'puter. I got two photos uploaded before it decided not to recognize any files on Removable Drive F. Windows Explore refuses to recognize anything on Removable Drive F as well.

Not only is photo uploading on PP a total PITA, now trying to get photos from my camera on to my fvcking computer has become an even bigger PITA. It's a fvcking conspiracy, I tell ya'!

So I actually took some pics that aren't half bad, meaning they are half good, at best. While I was looking for the camera instruction manual, I found it on a CD and loaded in on the computer, so now I actually know how to turn on and off the macro setting and flash. Man, this makes me long for the days of setting f stops on the ole SLR.

I'll see if Mrs. Salmo can make it work after she returns from her tennis match. She's a little bit of a computer geek.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 07:04 PM

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 07:36 PM

Since I've been ribbing Sg about posting pics, I'd better step up myself.
I think a couple of them are even blurry. wink
This is a pretty simple pattern but the searun cutts enjoyed it today.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 07:46 PM

What is this? Fish pictures in a fly fishing thread? How out of place?

Looks like you had a fun day outside thumbs

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 08:10 PM

Sorry about the thread violation Coley. smile
It is always nice though to sit down and wrap up a few before hitting the rack and have them produce the next day.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 08:29 PM

Stonefish,

Do you paint the eyes on that fly, or is it an add-on that you tie in?

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 08:44 PM

Sg,
Those are stick on eyes that I coat them with UV cure. Zap it with the light and done in 10 sec or so. You could use epoxy as well.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 11:32 PM

BU - I found the Bustard and its the real deal. Its high quality and in great condition. However, there is only a tiny amount enough for a few flies, but you are welcome to it. I also found a bunch of other exotic stuff - jungle cock necks, lots of parrot or different colors (think colored over wings), dyed guinea fowl and whatnot. I'm going to do another closer inspection and inventory. Maybe take a few pics and post em'...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/01/14 11:41 PM

Your camera is on he way quilbilly. Check your phone for a tracking number and call me when you need to find the macro button. Let's see that steelhead Kate.

Sounds like you've got quite the stash there Nick. Tie something pretty!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 12:00 AM

Coley -

I've only ever tied trout flies (thousands and thousands of size 12 Adams & Renegades etc.), so I never really paid much attention to my salmon / exotic stuff. If you want the small stuff, I'm your guy. I have no clue how to tie an Intruder or a Sky Sunrise, but I bet I could knock out a perfect replica after few tries (maybe). Tying concepts are pretty much all the same right? I probably have the most trouble with some of your floss weaves and wing marrying.

I have cabinets and boxes full of crap...3 generations worth dating back to the 1930's and the only thing of value I inherited from my Gramps and Dad. I have stuff I probably shouldn't have if you know what I mean. whistle You should see my book collection! Started tying before I could write my name...but its all been trout stuff. Size 8 - 22's western trout flies by the hundreds of dozens. I haven't looked at my Salmon and Steelhead stuff for over 20 years until today. WOW! laugh

You guys and this thread have inspired me to learn more about Salmon flies. You're the experts here and I appreciate you sharing such exceptional work. applause

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 12:16 AM

Here's some of the limited Salmon and Steelhead stuff I've done in the past few years. The Herring flies have rocked off the riggers and I've taken a few brats on the Creeper.

Herring Flies

Creeper

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 12:21 AM

With such a treasure trove of high quality materials it would be a shame to not fill out a few boxes if not actually put something in the water this winter.

Maybe someone here could do a step-by-step on some more modern stuff like an Intruder? I think Opie did one a few years back. Maybe a few folks could put one together so we can compare notes?

Id like to see a full dress pattern broken down as well. KK?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 12:31 AM

Those herring flies are killer Nick. Some pretty high tech materials as well.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 12:51 AM

Nick, do not barter anything that goat jockey... D@mn quillybillie is too old to possibly to use all the materials than he has already.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 01:04 AM

Thanks man. They have been punished by the Black Mouth and Summer Kings. I think I have like 5 left? Time to get the tube vice out before the summer.

I just grabbed the following off the shelf:

Salmon Flies by Poul Jorgensen (1978)
Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing by Jospeh D. Bates Jr. (1950)
Atlantic Salmon Flies and Fishing by Jospeh D. Bates Jr. (1970)
Fly Tying Materials by Eric Leiser & Art Flick (1973)
Flies for Saltwater by Dick Stewart (1992)
Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies by Paul C. Mariner (1998)

I'm going to pick a starter pattern or two, grab the materials & camera and go it. It'll be a couple of weeks before I post the outcome.

Love this guys...keep it going. Thanks!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 01:05 AM

rofl

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 01:29 AM

Prepare for frustration smile

Look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing how it goes!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 05:54 PM

I'm gonna kill you Luis.....physically kill you.

See that everyone... Hate crime in the foreseeable future.
I can predict the headlines now "Goat Fvcking Quillybillie kills brown guy for hair feathers"

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/02/14 07:10 PM

Concrete wading boots. He swims with the fishes.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/03/14 03:56 PM

You damn peckerwoods are too funny....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/03/14 06:52 PM

grin
Posted by: Todd

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/03/14 07:45 PM

I like how flyfishermen take pics of flies...and fishermen take pics of fish smile

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Carry on smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/03/14 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
...and fishermen take pics of fish smile

That explains why we haven't seen any photos from you this winter

wink

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/03/14 09:44 PM

I do prefer slip ons, but that's only because I'm lazy.

If you've ever seen my anchor rope or fishing lines you'll note that I can make a wide and varied assortment of knots, many of which are impossible to un-knot once fully tightened wink

I've tied plenty o'flies in my life, still occasionally do...they aren't even remotely as pretty as those in this thread...which, in spite of my teasing I do enjoy seeing...but thankfully the fish don't seem to mind.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/03/14 09:53 PM

I was making fun of him for not catching fish...for the record.

A pink piece of yarn is just as effective, probably more so, than a finely dressed fly. No need to go beyond that if getting one to bite is your only interest.

One of my favorite and most often used knots in high angle rigging/rescue applications is known colloquially as the BFK (big fukkin knot). Turns out there is some truth in the age old adage "if you don't know a knot, tie a lot."

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 12:52 PM

And I was making fun of flyfisherman making lots of pretty flies so that they could go out and not catch fish on them...for the record wink

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
I like how flyfishermen take pics of flies...and fishermen take pics of fish smile

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Carry on smile

You mean like this?

I caught him superbowl eve swinging this.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 01:39 PM

That fish is really 4lbs... MA is a Umpa Lumpa refugee. I found him years back selling bootlegged candy outside the thriftway in Forks

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 06:15 PM

Orygun 20......

+ points for actually posting some pictures...... grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 07:43 PM

Polish Fly
Open Division

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 07:47 PM

And winner of the 2014 Salmo g. excellence in photography award.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/04/14 08:01 PM

The Open Division guys are secretive.
Photos (if any) are always low res.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/05/14 05:53 PM

Those were tough times Luis. Wonka had no contingency for the economic downturn. Layed off all of us but one and then carbon copied him. I had to take out 2 of those Lollipop Guild munchkins to secure that store front.

I appreciate the photography award. Never considered myself worthy, but hey if Obama can get the Nobel Peace Prize I guess anything is possible.

Just set the vice up and organizing the fishing room. The Polish II is in the works. Might take a couple days though since I am going back to work tonight. grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/05/14 09:12 PM

Yeah, I hear ya', ya' ole reprobate. Mrs. Salmo didn't get 'er done after tennis Saturday, and Sunday was dedicated to the SB. And tonight she's at a meeting of the condo board. May come as a surprise, but this isn't her highest priority . . .

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/07/14 09:15 PM

All right guys it is time for the unveiling of the Polish II.

OR

OR

Take your pick. Gotta go to work so I have money to do what I really enjoy.

Tight Lines

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/07/14 09:27 PM

Some major upgrades over version 1.0!

No good reason a self respecting fish wouldn't eat those. Good on ya.

Just did a quick fly shop drive by for some new feathers and fur. Picked up some silver pheasant and arctic fox each in a few shades. Looking forward to messing around with each. Also grabbed some golden pheasant tippet and amherst died orange. I have an idea for an intruder style fly that incorporates a General Practioner style and materials. Might turn out to be crap, we'll see.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: metaladdiction
All right guys it is time for the unveiling of the Polish II.

OR

OR

Take your pick. Gotta go to work so I have money to do what I really enjoy.

Tight Lines

Nice....look like seductive swimmers.

Hard to tell with that secretive low res, but I suspect there are some dance hall floozies missing some plumage.
That must be what the money is for ?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 03:54 PM

from photobucket:

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss180...pg?t=1391892699

OK, so it copied the code associated with the photo, but where's the f'in picture? Sure glad this is easy as pie. F'it.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 04:43 PM

This thread needs more moon pics

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 04:47 PM

from photobucket:

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss180...pg?t=1391892699

OK, so it copied the code associated with the photo, but where's the f'in picture? Sure glad this is easy as pie. F'it.

Hehehe...

1) Wipe the Vaseline off your lens

2) There should be several different types of code presented
Use the "Forum Code"

If there is no "Forum Code" then frame the normal code with [img]____[/img]

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 05:18 PM

I had Redhook help me with the macro setting . . .

I did the over the mouse over the picture waiting for the drop down menu that never happened, so I right-clicked and got a drop down menu that contains no choices that copy the fvcking picture from there to here.

I can only conclude that anyone who posts photos here has no real life with anything else to do. It took me a f'in hour-and-a-half to upload the photos off my camera - had to use my notebook computer cuz my desktop refused, even with Mrs. Salmo's assistance - then to Photobucket cuz that's so f'n much quicker than using the PP instructions. Sheesh, I'm with Strikezone, why the F bother?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 05:36 PM

...why the F bother?

Because there are so many mental fukkers on here that can do this, it is now a matter of pride my good man.
I use Image Shack, but maybe a Photobucketeer can jump in and help you navigate.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 07:57 PM

Those look great John.

Salmo g.....thanks for the long awaited pic. wink

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 08:06 PM

Those look great John.

Salmo g.....thanks for the long awaited pic. wink

+1

Nice looking bugs.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 08:13 PM

OK, the Orange Heron is the fuzziest close up I took, but the others are not nearly as sharp as BUs latest photos, not even by a long shot. My digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot. My old SLR is a Nikkormat with all manual settings for shutter speed, f-stop, focus, etc. I've never used the digital in anything but point and shoot mode. Do you have to fiddle with the settings to get sharp macro close ups. I mean, if BU can do it, I'm convinced it ain't rocket science.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 08:17 PM

OK, the Orange Heron is the fuzziest close up I took, but the others are not nearly as sharp as BUs latest photos, not even by a long shot. My digital camera is a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot. My old SLR is a Nikkormat with all manual settings for shutter speed, f-stop, focus, etc. I've never used the digital in anything but point and shoot mode. Do you have to fiddle with the settings to get sharp macro close ups. I mean, if BU can do it, I'm convinced it ain't rocket science.

Sg

Hehehe...
There should be a macro setting on your point-n-shoot.
Maybe a symbol like a large flower or something....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/14 11:11 PM

Those are purdy BU.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 01:11 AM

Cuz evidently point and shoot ain't sumthin yer all that good at...

grin

That was pretty damn funny. Classic KK form.

It shouldn't take but a minute or two from pushing the button to posted photo once you are relatively familiar with the technology. It certainly ain't rocket surgery but I hear Salmo still writes letters with hammer and chisel.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 01:34 AM

DD,

I found the macro setting thingy on the camera, so that is not the issue. Biggest issue is my desktop 'puter just won't upload from my camera any more. I had to load them to my notebook computer, download to a flash drive, then upload to my desktop, then to Photobucket, then the failure to post it up on PP. I kid thee not about this being nothing less than a complete pain in the ass.

BU,

Surely it would be difficult to disparage your name, good or otherwise. And I recommend you select alternatives to dawn behind the Shell station and pistols. First, me being up and around in Forks at dawn is unlikely at best, and second, you may want to re-think my point and shoot skills, cuz I been gettin' in a fair amount of practice in recent months with both the 22 and 9 mm, having gotten a couple big boxes of both this past fall. (If posting pics were as easy as Coley alleges, I'd post a photo of a couple targets with the bulls eyes blacked out.) Alas, the 22 is all shot up and gone, but I got a couple three hundred rounds of 9 mm left however. For your safety, I recommend a duel with point and shoot cameras. But I suggest a couple wee drams, to steady your nerves, well, your hand at least. You'll probably win, and we'll both be alive to tell about it.

Oh, but if you actually took those pics with your phone, I may just haul off and kill you anyway.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 02:30 AM

First tubes I've tied...anyone else have experience with them? I like the process but definitely can tell these will have problems sinking fast like the shanks I make. I ordered some tungsten parts and have to run to the store/shop and get some stainless tube as well. The first one has no Lady Amherst and the second one I added a cone and almost forgot flash towards the front of the bug.
First attempt

Second attempt.

size comparison

C'mon Salmo quit sandbaggin this thread broheim

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 08:05 AM

The fish aint gonna miss the lady amherst Bantam. You better keep a close eye on your bug boxes next time we go out. Some of them could end up missing. wink Are you running 11 or 14 sink tip material. You should be fine with those lead eyes on the tubes.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 10:14 AM

Nice work, Luis !
You should come down in September with the long rod.
Floating lines and standard patterns are the norm.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 11:32 AM

Good looking bugs Bantam.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 12:19 PM

Per your request John.......:)
I haven't been twisting up any steelhead bugs lately but I've been filling the trout boxes.

Here are some Angora balanced leeches.

A few foam back Raccoons for stillwater dries. Went with the foam back for durability.
As you can see from the second pic trout do a pretty good job of tearing up the original version with a deer or elk hair shellbacks.

The Hairy Turd. I tied this for salt chums but have found searun cutts like it as well.
Here it is dry and wet.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 12:46 PM

Thanks,
Those were all taken on a cell phone...which I think has a macro setting. grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 12:52 PM

Per your request John.......:)
I haven't been twisting up any steelhead bugs lately but I've been filling the trout boxes.

Here are some Angora balanced leeches.

A few foam back Raccoons for stillwater dries. Went with the foam back for durability.
As you can see from the second pic trout do a pretty good job of tearing up the original version with a deer or elk hair shellbacks.

The Hairy Turd. I tied this for salt chums but have found searun cutts like it as well.
Here it is dry and wet.

The Hairy Turd takes on a nice shape when wet.
Must look good when stripped.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 01:11 PM

DD, I was going to make it that way last Oct. but tuna season ran clear into the very last week of Oct. I swore to myself I was completely done with the commercial/charter industry starting this year. I plan on going somewhere this late summer or early fall SE with the drifter. There's plenty of time to plan that out.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 04:08 PM

A good fly delivery system helps get the fishing done. This from a couple weeks ago on my annual Skagit trip, two months early yet again.

I tie flies mainly to keep myself supplied with bait, like when I can't 'ho a few from talented tiers like Coley.

My summer run fly box:

My winter "fly box":

"Bait" from the winter fly box:

That's it gents, and you too BU. I went through a phase of tying and fishing flies in the style of Sid Glasso (RIP), but I tie slowly, and the nice looking flies didn't catch any more steelhead than a simple marabou feather lashed to a hook. Now I dress most of my steelhead flies somewhere in between so as to maintain my ascot cred. I'd hate to be mistaken for just another steelheader who happens to sport a fly rod in lieu of my venerable yellow Eagle Claw drift fishing rod.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 05:15 PM

Damn Salmo....I knew you had it in you.
I'll halt my requests for additional photos from you from now on.
I like the craft and the flies.

Let's see...DD has participated a bit in this thread. Let's see what he has to offer.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 05:49 PM

applause

Nicely done Salmo. In hindsight, its pretty easy to post pics huh? grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 06:12 PM

OK - I need some help...

Can someone provide a short list of say, the top 6 - 12 hooks (by mfg, model# & size)? I need a short list that will cover general & common varieties of patterns.

I have a proverbial metric [Bleeeeep!] ton of different fly hooks, but most are standard streamer hooks (vs salmon & spey style hooks). A condensed list would be most helpful. Thanks in advance and tight lines,

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 09:03 PM

Stonefish,

I wasn't trying to be uncooperative; it is my damn computer, as explained in too much detail now, that and the fact that uploading under the best of circumstances remains a pain in the ass. Don't know why a simple copy & paste doesn't do it, like with text in a WORD document.

Nick,

Over the years I've learned that just about everything is easier when I know how to do it. The secret of the [img]____[/img] does make a significant difference. But my biggest problem is that my desktop computer must be getting too old to upload from my camera SD card after it gets a few too many pictures on it.

As for hooks, I used to be partial to Mustad 36890 back when I could buy a box of 100 for $1.38 from Herters. Not so much anymore. I was just perusing my Hook & Hackle catalog, and crikies, they love their hooks! So much that I think I'll let them keep them. I'd buy more Daiichi salmon hooks, style 2161, but they charge their weight in gold for those damn things too. The Daiichi Alec Jackson hooks in heavy wire look good but don't hold up for what they cost either - and I've been good friends with AJ for going on 40 years, but not quite that good. A pretty good hook for the inflated price is the Tiemco 7999, and I take those and bend the bend such that the hook point is pointed at the eye of the hook. I think they hold fish better that way but can't prove it.

I think I'll start tying my flies on the hooks I scavenge from the rivers. Actually I have about 20 miles of plastic tubing. I could just tie tube flies and use my scavenged hooks on them and save a few bucks. I'm getting close to retirement and have to stop throwing my money around.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 09:15 PM

Sorry Salmo,
Forgot to add one of these grin after the word "on" in my last post.
wink

Nick,
Any particular types of patterns you want to tie or species you intend to target?
That might help narrow down your hook wish list a bit because there are a shitload of brands, sizes and models available.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 09:27 PM

Just basic salmon and steelhead flies. I have tons of 2 - 4x long shank Mustad streamer flies in many different sizes, but not many hooks in classical salmon and spey bends and shapes.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 10:01 PM

I've had good luck with Gamakatsu T10-6H hooks. They tend to stay sharper for me then the 7999's. They come in four different colors ( green, blue, red) as well, although I'm not sure anything is any better then black.
They come in size 8 - 2/0 and aren't overly pricey for the 20 packs in smaller sizes.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 10:07 PM

I've been making my own intruder wires now for about a year or so now. I haven't tied much of any flies with traditional hooks in years. Im sure the buggy whipping elders here have a good idea

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 10:43 PM

Nick.

The pattern or desired look dictates the hook. Most of the more "modern" steelhead flies (intruder, hobo spey, pick yer pocket, etc.) are tied on either clipped long shank hooks, spinner shafts, or Waddington shanks with a stinger hook loop that your hook of choice can be hitched into. I use octopus style hooks in a few sizes for the stinger/trailing hook on these flies.

For the classic spey patterns, Alec Jackson's seem to be the standard and are hard to beat for style. The McNeese Heron hooks are very similar and equally classy. These traditional hooks are designed more to make a pretty fly than they are to hook and land a fish functionally though. If function is what you are after, stuck to the stinger/trailing hook design.

To get rolling, your mustad streamer hooks should be fine, just clip the hook off at the bend and you've got a nice shank to wind up your fly of choice on. Up eye, down eye, straight eye, it matters not. For the stinger loop, 50-60lb power pro, dacron, or wire all work just fine. I've been digging the Senyo's Intruder wire recently but have used braid for quite a while with good results.

Ill see if I can whip up a step by step on a basic EP Intruder pattern I've cranking out this week when my new point and shoot arrives tomorrow.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 10:49 PM

Oh, and Salmo posted pics! They must be playing hockey in hell. Nice spread as well. Don't sell yourself short Salmo. It looks like you twist up a pretty good bait to me. Nice boat.

I like the way that Angora looks Stonefish. I could see working some of that into a sculpin or smolt pattern. Very nice innovation on the foam back raccoon as well. I really enjoy the engineering/problem solving side of fly tying. Many out of the box flies don't work just as you would want them too for your application. Taking the basic design back to the table and trouble shooting it with other materials and designs and eventually finding something that works is rewarding.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 11:01 PM

Thanks guys. That's most helpful. Please keep the great info coming. I'll start posting some ties shortly...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 11:24 PM

I hate to take issue with coley, but I do like a straight eye over an upturned. Hence my affinity for the 5 degree mcneese hooks.

I guess I was speaking more to fish catching functionality (shanks specifically) in making that statement. From a tying standpoint, I agree entirely. Generally speaking, I don't think eye orientation means much when it comes to how a fly fishes and/or swims

And for the record, you love to take issue with anyone, me included smile

Blind eye...oh my. Full ascot alert indeed.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/09/14 11:54 PM

Interesting. Why wouldn't a down eye then be best seeing as how it's angle of pull levers the point and bend into place? I tend to think that the long shank is the traditional hooks undoing when it comes to keeping fish on, angle and direction of the eye being insignificant by comparison.

That having been said, I do trust your judgement and experience and if you say it is so, I'm inclined to believe. I will require articulation and factual support at some point, preferably shared riverside and/or whilst enjoying a wee dram.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 12:02 AM

KK, going full on spey pride? I knew it wouldn't take long for him break out in a pink fanny pack...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 12:41 PM

Nick,

If you have a bunch of streamer hooks, those would make great shanks for tying on. Just add a wire or braid loop as Coley mentioned, to use your favorite octopus style hook as the stinger. I have a friend who uses 25# Maxima for his stinger loops. He says they have never pulled loose; he adds super glue to the thread as he lashes in on the shank.

Anybody got a good sculpin pattern that both looks bulky but sinks well? I've seen some with rabbit that look good, but also look like they need a half ounce of lead to get them down. Mrs. Salmo and I are going to Fernie, B.C. in Sept. to fish for cutthroat, but there's a lot of fishing for some very large bull trout also. I could tie up a half chicken sized sculpin with lots of weight, but that would take an 8 wt Spey rod to cast. I'm thinking along the lines of a sculpin streamer pattern that I can chuck out with a single hand 7 wt.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 01:40 PM

See the Sex Dungeon pattern I posted previously. It looks bulky but most of the materials are light and sink quickly. It's easy to cast as you require and has great action in the water. I added the pectoral fins to Galloup's pattern for a more sculpiny look.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 02:39 PM

+1 on the Sex Dungeon. Another one is the Zoo Cougar. I've taken many nice Browns in Michigan on both patterns. If ol' wary, night feeding Browns will eat it - anything will eat it.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 03:18 PM

I like the Whitlock sculpin quite a bit as well.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 10:24 PM

A few recent ditch pickle ties. grin
I think the Murdich Minnows would work for other species as well.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/10/14 10:56 PM

A smaller version of those Murdich minnows would make a nice spring smolt/dry pattern. I like em.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/11/14 07:26 AM

Looks like the rivers are gonna blow for the next 10 days. Small window today in forks. Rain wont start till about noon then the spigot is full on at about 4 . Off wok at 6 am and on the road to put the Polish II series to work.

BU I will be passing the junction about 0700 or so.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/11/14 11:43 PM

Quick and dirty step-by-step of a quick and dirty EP Intruder style fly for Nick.

I almost feel bad for using "intruder" to describe these types of utility flies as the Skagit Master's would surely call blasphemy and ban me from the ascot club forever for the sacrilege.

The intruder style, generally speaking, is a thin bodied fly with a high profile head and skirt (for lack of a better term) that are essentially symmetrical. The profile is lot easier to define or pin point than the materials, of which there is an endless pool of possible combinations.

Ill point out a couple of other signatures or trademark features of the style as we go along. I think this style of fly has become poplar for a number of reasons, they tend to be easy to cast because of their relatively minimal bulk and or weight. Despite their relatively minimal bulk and weight, they maintain a substantial profile and don't thin out in heavier currents. The materials used tend to be long, webby and have great action in the water. The stinger/hangback hook rigging hooks and retains fish well, etc. etc.

In summary, the general template for this fly makes it easy to incorporate all of the fishy characteristics of color, contrast and movement in a user friendly design. The one potential downside is that it does take a bit of effort to twist them up, but no more so than many other classic and/or "modern" patterns once you get rolling. Once you get in the groove, cranking out a simple yet functional version shouldn't take more than 15 minutes if you pause to sip your favorite beverage at fairly regular intervals.

First test drive of the new fly tying station. I needed something that was a little more orderly and kid proof than my previous pile of plastic drawers and bags.

I learned a new word a few days back, credenza. Apparently it means folding fly tying table in greek.

As previously mentioned, just about any shank will do. Either cut a cheap hook down to length or use something pre-made like a Waddington shank or spinner shaft. I tend to like my shanks shorter rather than longer as a shorter shank hook will let more of the materials move and work as compared to a longer shank on a fly of the same length.

I like the 25mm Waddington shanks though lately I've been buying the 45mm and cutting them in half. Two 20mm shanks for the price of one smile

For the trailer/stinger hook loop I've been digging Senyo's Intruder wire though braid, dacron, etc all work just fine.

Lash on your hook loop. If you are unsure of how long to leave the loop, attach your hook, adjust the loop length so that you an easily place and remove the hook, and then finish wrapping the wire to the shank.

I put a 180 degree bend in the wire which virtually guarantees it will never pull out. Put some glue on it if you must, but you don't need it.

Tie in a tail. I used ostrich and crystal flash here.

One of the signature characteristics of the intruder is the flare of the materials in the head and skirt section of the fly. This is achieve a few different ways. One, you need a nice, fairly even diameter ball or base wrap that will push everything you tie on top of it up and out. Next, you need to stack some stiffer material on top of it to prop up softer and more active materials that you might layer on later. Again the material combinations are endless, but getting the characteristics right is key to winding up with a fishy end result.

Here I've used a turn or two of polar chenille which adds some flash and well as the needed base shape for the flare. Synthetic dubbing materials like ice dub are also a popular. Go high contrast or match the body color, your choice.

Next, palmer or dub in a layer of something that will prop up whatever else you decide to put on top. Keep this layer shorter and lower profile and add length as you layer on top and you'll preserve the movement of the longer materials. Here I am using whiting hen hackle which is a little soft for the purpose but it works. Polar bear is awesome and other coarse but user friendly hairs like fox are great.

On top of the whiting I added one turn of the Enrico Puglisi 's Anadromous Brush. This fly won't show it but I'll often add another layer of something like schlappen or guinea on top of the brush for some more color and contrast.

Add some longer, swimmy materials. Here I am using a few barbs of rhea and a few of amherst tail. You can dub them in a loop and then palmer or just add them individually. Keep them pretty thin and well spaced for the best action.

Tie in your body material, some ribbing, and a body hackle. I used diamond braid for the body, large largartun tinsel for the rib, and grizzly for the body hackle.

Bring your body materials forward.

Then repeat everything that you did for the skirt section of the fly at the head. Sometimes I like to put one or two turns of x-select marabou at the head which adds some nice flowy movement to the fly which compliments the stiffer amherst and rhea that take a little more turbulence to move.

Toss some wings on there if you are so inclined. Style points for eyes if you take the time.

Try out a variety of colors.

Repeat as needed.

Go fishing and catch a fish.

Many different ways to skin the intruder style cat. Playing around with different materials is lots of fun can keep you entertained for days. I am always surprised (for better and worse) when I give these flies the swim test.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 12:49 AM

Simply Awesome.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 12:19 PM

Coley, for a bait chucker you wear the ascot very, very well. That's some nice work there, both the flies and the photo essay.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 12:52 PM

Bait slinger, hardware chucker, fly flinger, plug puller.

Or of you prefer, fisherman smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 01:02 PM

Nice tutorial Coley. thumbs
I've never tied up a Intruder, but you've inspired me to do so.
I don't have quite the right feathers. I'll see what I can come up with material wise to crank something out that might resemble a Intruder out this weekend.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 01:05 PM

In your case Fish Catcher is a better fit.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 02:35 PM

Coley comes through. Hit the Solduc yesterday before the hard rains. Nice green color. No takes, but the polish series all swam well. Stopped early enough to stop at Waters West in PA. Cool shop lots of material and the owner does alot of custom dyes. Got out of there for under a hundy.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 09:18 PM

Conceptually inclusiveness is so PC, but being in the biz all these years, "fisherman" extends to draggers, mid-trawlers, high seas gillnet, terminal area gillnet, purse seine, trollers, long-liners, pots and traps and you name it. I don't have the same level of comfort with every method that lives under the "fisherman" umbrella.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/12/14 09:22 PM

Touché!

Is "angler" narrow enough for you, or does that descriptor corral too much riff raff for your liking?
Posted by: Free_Globbin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/13/14 12:45 AM

Thanks for the awesome tutorial Coley. I gotta say, this thread has inspired to start tying again.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/13/14 12:02 PM

I like and use angler a lot, so whatever riff raff it includes must be OK with me. But please don't tell me you're going to fish those flies with split shot under a Thingamabobber.

Anyway, that's some nice work there, young man. Quite inspiring. I had some free time last night and almost sat down at the vise, but decided instead to watch Olympic skiers go crazy fast down an icy and slushy mountain instead. And besides, I have all that fresh bait you sent me, so I'm good to go when next the rivers drop back into shape.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/13/14 10:24 PM

Man you guys. You're all inspiring me to sit down at my messy bench and start tying. I been working on cutthroat patterns for the spring, trying to perfect a rolled muddler.

Sg, I wonder how a ski slope can be icy and slushy at the same time? I agree they're crazy fast. I was on a GS run with Billy Kid some years back. Going out of the starting gate onto a hard slab of ice almost messed my pants. Never again. They're nuts! Fishing is more my cup o tea. I haven't been on a pair of boards in years.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/14 11:24 AM

SRoffe,

2,500' elevation difference from top to bottom. Cold and icy at the top, warmer and slushy at the bottom. It's 60*F in the daytime in Sochi.

Yeah, these guys got some mad fly tying skilz. My flies tend to be about a half step up from a nightcrawler, which I figure ain't all that bad since fish are partial to nightcrawlers anyway.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/14 01:53 PM

Tied these two up last night. Working on a softer, gentler more natural color selection for lower water conditions.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/14 02:59 PM

Lovely. Nothing wrong with those.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/14 08:39 PM

Figger out that new camera yet? Laying at home in bed shoulda provided the perfect opportunity for getting it dialed in and reading the manual.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/14/14 09:00 PM

SRoffe,

2,500' elevation difference from top to bottom. Cold and icy at the top, warmer and slushy at the bottom. It's 60*F in the daytime in Sochi.

I didn't think about that temperature / altitude change.

My moto in tying flies, is they don't have to be pretty, they just have to catch fish. I figure the fuzzier, uglier they are, the more effective they are.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/14 12:23 AM

Went out this morning a braved the wind/rain this morning and it was a total fail... got to see my line go from shooting straight out to landing over 45* upstream. EPIC....

Got to see this one swim tho after tying it up on monday for this weekends higher flows...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/14 03:21 AM

Macro. You don't need no stinkin macro BU. I got a PP photography award with my piece o chit tablet. I wonder if I try to back the camera away if I could get an unblurred photo?

Bantam, just curious how well that little beast swam? Looks like something a big pissed of nate would want to kill.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/14 09:49 AM

It flew, it swam and it didnt get lost. Its about to embark another session this morning.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/14 12:30 PM

Look forward to a positive report. Still debating if I am gonna hop on the boat and go to the show today.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/15/14 11:26 PM

Cranked this out last night.

Worked pretty good today considering it is a popper John.... wink

Sorry for the fish pic Coley grin
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 12:17 AM

Righteous! Looks like a lovely PNW day with lots of liquid sunshine. Awesome photo.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 02:02 AM

Nice! Healthy SRC.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 10:14 AM

That's a plumper for this early.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 01:01 PM

Stonefish,

That's f'n nuts! Not surprised you had the place to yourself. My wife's fair weather nature must be getting to me. I happily decided to forego actually fishing and opted to visit the fly fishing show in Lynnwood.

Picked up some tidbits like buffs for the next tropical trip in April and some sample flies to copy, like sculpins and saltwater baitfish. Oh and talked with the rep from Sweetgrass and got to play with the rod I took a likin' to when we visited the shop on our last Montana trip. And since I'll only live once, I took the plunge and ordered it. I better get that Spey blank built up that I started a few weeks ago before I get the call that the new grass stick is ready, or Mrs. Salmo will think I've gone off the deep end fer sure. I'm not sure how to merge this with the decision to replace my old fishin' buggy this week. I think I'll try the "0% interest more than offsets the cost of the new cane, right?"

After Bantam dried off from his morning sojourn on the river he dropped by the show, and we drooled all over the Stream Tech raft that was set up in the display. That's a seriously nice ride for water with an ultra huge pucker factor.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 01:18 PM

SF,

I'll take 6 of them poppers! LOL

I've got the foam heads, now I know what to do with it. Thanks for the idea.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 02:50 PM

Salmo does that stream tech appear to be a rig worthy of fishing all the time. I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on a raft. I have been looking at the Outcast pac 1300, they come with the new nrs frame, but that st looks like the sh!t. I think the only way I could get the ole ladies permission for an 8k raft is to give up my db also. Bantam was drooling over it as we were talking last night. Sorrry for the hijack Coley.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 03:35 PM

All good my man. I claim no ownership over what this thread has become so you won't my feelings one bit and I quite enjoy the conversation.

I had a look at those Stream Tech rafts on the web this morning as I hadn't heard of them before. Pretty slick rigs. Looks like a custom tube design by Maravia to go with the stream tech frame. I am sure it would make a great all around ride for the coastal streams though I would wonder about the weight. That frame and components look heavy.

The high rocker on the tubes wouldn't be quite as friendly as the lower profile rafts like the Aire super puma and Super duper puma or Maravia spider which are the best fishing white water rigs out there. With a light load my super duper rows better than some drift boats out there.

I'd be curious to give one I these ST boats a go in some rough stuff and see the width and weight specs on them.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 07:10 PM

I've been thinking about small floating baitfish patterns for searuns.
Here is the first effort.
I used 1/8" parachute foam and reamed a hole in it with a bodkin then inserted the tube.

Here is the first one off the vise.

I used polar chenille for the tail, but I'm not sure I like it.
The red sharpie used from the gills soaked into the foam and seeped under the uv cure I used to keep the eyes on the head.
If anyone has any suggestions or a good floating baitfish pattern let me know.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 08:18 PM

Wow. That wing is a work of art.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 08:38 PM

Sorry for the thread drift.

About the Stream Tech, it is in lieu of a driftboat. We were talking with a guide who sold his Clackacraft and switched to the ST 2 years ago. Weight impressed me at 195 lb. for raft and frame, as it sat on the floor. Dry boxes add more.

I'm gonna' have to try SRC fishing again sometime and give those poppers a try.

Nice wing work there BU. Are you sure you went to Wazzoo? And if you need someone to fish those flies for you, I'm now officially into fly ho'ing.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 09:02 PM

197lbs isn't bad for a 13 to 13.5 foot rig with fishing frame. I think mine comes in at about 185 and the boat is 110 of that though the factory calls it 100.

I think it is funny they call that raft an inflatable drift boat though. It's a raft with a steeper-than-typical angles on the tubes and some internal components that might make it fish and feel like a drifter, but it is still raft is it not?

Took a break from tying yarn balls to put a few feathers together today as well.

First try at a Gray Ghost.

And something in Kingfisher blue.

I keep trying to find uses for these Argus feathers (wings on the fly above) I picked up a while back but they don't seem quite right for anything. They sure look nice though.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 09:10 PM

Nice work John & Coley

Here is first attempt at anything even remotely similar to a Intruder.
I already know a couple things I screwed up on with this first one after looking at others posted here. One is pretty obvious. grin
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 09:33 PM

I'd fish it with confidence! I like the color scheme and choice of materials.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 10:08 PM

197lbs isn't bad for a 13 to 13.5 foot rig with fishing frame. I think mine comes in at about 185 and the boat is 110 of that though the factory calls it 100.

I think it is funny they call that raft an inflatable drift boat though. It's a raft with a steeper-than-typical angles on the tubes and some internal components that might make it fish and feel like a drifter, but it is still raft is it not?

Took a break from tying yarn balls to put a few feathers together today as well.

First try at a Gray Ghost.

And something in Kingfisher blue.

I keep trying to find uses for these Argus feathers (wings on the fly above) I picked up a while back but they don't seem quite right for anything. They sure look nice though.

Nice.
The Gray Ghost reminds me of my yoot taking fly tying classes at Stuart's Tackle in Indian Orchard, MA.
I think we started on the bucktails like Mickey Finn and Black Nose Dace, then the Gray Ghost/Black Ghost.

IIRC, Stuart's was quite the player when it came to supplying fly tying materials nationwide in those days.
Al Stuart also had some proprietary lures like Al's Goldfish.
Not sure how widely distributed his hardware was.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 11:05 PM

FloatIng baitfish version 2.0.
Not quite there yet.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 11:27 PM

You should call that one, The Suppository smile

Horns = rhea.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/16/14 11:41 PM

Lol, I like it.
One nice thing is that cutts aren't to picky. I put that one together by glueing pieces of foam together with the tube in the middle. Much easier then trying to put a hole down the middle of round foam.
I wish I could find some smaller panfish sized closed cell foam slider bodies. Problem solved.....
Everything I've found have been to big for what I'm want to do with them.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 01:14 AM

Damn this thread grew a page in a day.

Stone I cant get over that cutty you posted. Makes me actually wnt to go play in the salt. Curious how fast you strip in these topwaters. Must be a brutal strike. Wish I had a 5 wt switchrod.

BU quit teasing us with your latest work of art. Cant wait to see the finished.

Coley I have so many questions about rafts I may just start a new thread on the main board. I look forward to your input.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 01:33 AM

Metal,
I slow my warp speed coho strip down for cutts, but still strip pretty fast.
Let's just say there isn't any question when they climb on your fly. Subtle it isn't.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 02:55 PM

Isn't it salmo's turn again for pics ?

smile

grin I believe so.

I had requested something from Direct Drive as well....but nothing yet. wink

Suppository floating baitfish 3.0 will launch later this afternoon.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 04:51 PM

Took a stab at the General Practioner Intruder last night. Version's 1.0 and 2.0. I need a better orange hackle. Puglisis tarantula brush, guinea, amherst, orange kip tail, died tippet and red breast feathers.

Added a turn of whiting on version 2.0. Not perfectly happy with it, but some of characteristics of the original are there.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 06:53 PM

Version 2.0 of the FSB. I like the tail better on this one.
I added a Krystal Flash back. Still not there yet. Version 2.1 to be released soon.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 07:43 PM

2.5"

I figure with a chop it will bounce around enough with the top and tail flash. I think the surface disturbance is likely the key to getting eaten.

If it doesn't work, I've got your address.... grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 08:10 PM

Nice looking swimmer...

Couch's EC Baitfish

The hook looks like an Eagle Claw 254SS and could be improved upon.
A dark blue or black back variation would look nice, too.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 08:13 PM

Like it DD.
Looks like your macro is working well..... grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 09:19 PM

Cut and paste from DD ?

Oh the shame dude......

Sadly, yes.
Got a stiffy from lookin' at E. Coley's Grey Ghost and couldn't help myself.

smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 10:41 PM

FSB Version 2.1
Went with a stinger and a different body shape which is thinner.
These are all ugly as sin but I'm looking forward to beta testing them.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 10:49 PM

FSB Version 2.1
Went with a stinger and a different body shape which is thinner.
These are all ugly as sin but I'm looking forward to beta testing them.
SF

A striper would jump those...at night...on the Cape or Vineyard in May.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/17/14 10:49 PM

U Crappy Fishin' Son? rofl

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
U Crappy Fishin' Son? rofl

Damn right Son! Crappie, Carp, Ditch Pickles...if it has fins I'll gladly take a cast at it. wink
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 12:09 PM

Me too! wink

That popper design should put the hurt on the SRC's and any surface feeding warm water fish in the state. Nice, functional tie...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 06:09 PM

I work a LOT and when I'm not working, I can be one lazy mofo. That's "where your feathers are"....

Patience...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 06:21 PM

Dork side.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 06:43 PM

A couple of semi Dork Side Intruder questions.
Preferred sting hook size?
I notice some folks tie them so the stinger is quite a ways back from the finished fly. Other tie the stinger in closer. Any advantage to either method?
That leads to the question of overall length. Any perferred overall length?
Thanks for your wisdom on these questions.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 11:30 PM

stone layed some of mine out with a tape. Most of my flies end up between 3 to 4 inches.maybe slightly longer depending on wing length etc. The nice thing about intruder style flies is the ability to simply change out the hook. I usually start with a size 2 owner or gami octopus, but as season progresses and more nates show up I bump up to a 1 or even 1/0. I also use jewelers braided wire for the stinger. This keeps the hook straight out from the fly. No sagging and less of a chance of your material fouling. The bottom 2 on the left I intentially tied very sparce, however the rubber legs will flow back around the hook. If I see any fouling on the river, I can just trim them up a bit. Those may be some of the flies that look to have the hooks hanging way back. Take all this with a grain of salt though. This is only my 3rd winter swinging for steel and I have much to learn.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 11:52 PM

Metal,
Thanks for the length reference and the other info.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/18/14 11:55 PM

Im running #1 gami octo hooks on the bigger fly's/winter patterns. I'm working on a batch for a buddy that will be quite a bit smaller than my normals. Which overall means shorter shank, lighter stinger wire and yes a smaller hook, most likey a #2 owner. Theres nothing worse than straightening a hook out on any fish.

Most of my personal ties for winter are roughly 2.5"-5". Anything above 3" ill run a #1, tho it really depends on the tie. If its a light and sparse 3." ill drop down to a #2.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/19/14 12:36 AM

Yep, seems like it's been said. 2.5" to 3" for the main body or bulk of an intruder style fly for normal conditions with the longer more swimmy materials extending another inch and change beyond that. For big or dirty water, a 4.5" or larger fly isn't overkill and it is good to have some of those in your arsenal. For low and clear, don't be afraid to drop down to the LBF (little black fly, 1.5" to 2") as I have seen it makes the difference on what could have otherwise been fishless days.

I am not afraid to fish a #4 for big fish in the right conditions and have landed more than one 20lb steelhead on them. That having been said I fish 2's most of the time, 1's in heavier water.

Nice quiver there metaladdiction. If it is not peach, pink or orange, it should be black smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/19/14 09:52 AM

Bantam & Coley,
Thanks for the additional info.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/19/14 01:08 PM

A few saltwater Gurglers.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/19/14 04:37 PM

Killer!

Is the hook an 811S?

That design in pink would make a pretty good looking Wog.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/19/14 04:45 PM

811S indeed.
My favorite salt hook.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/14 01:10 PM

Dang...that's a dandy right there. 150 - 175 pounds?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/14 03:33 PM

Fukushima Herring right there.

Just an FYI. I've been looking for some different colored foam sheets for some stuff I want to tie. Colors were limited at the shops I looked at.
Make a quick stop into Michael's craft store today.
They have multi-color packages of 9" x 12" sheets on sale for $5.90.
40 sheets should last me a lifetime.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/14 04:05 PM

Yes, there is a brownish color in the package.
Really bought it because I wanted the pink and red foam.
Perhaps we'll call this one the Tampon.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/14 11:11 PM

Pink Gurgler

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/14 11:20 PM

That'll fish.

That foam material is also great for hopper patterns (see Brown Trout Damsel Fly Thread wink )

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/20/14 11:36 PM

It wouldn't be too hard to get a coho to eat that pink gurgler. Looks like a nice miniwog. Again, nice innovation and use of materials!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/21/14 12:25 AM

In thinking of other twists in your FSB pattern I had envisioned wrapping a thin (widthwise) section of foam on the hook shank, sliding some mylar minnow body over the top, and then lashing some layers of crystal flash on top for a decent floating candlefish/baitfish type pattern. I couldn't come up with any suitable foam in my pile of materials to give the idea a test drive though.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/21/14 12:16 PM

In thinking of other twists in your FSB pattern I had envisioned wrapping a thin (widthwise) section of foam on the hook shank, sliding some mylar minnow body over the top, and then lashing some layers of crystal flash on top for a decent floating candlefish/baitfish type pattern. I couldn't come up with any suitable foam in my pile of materials to give the idea a test drive though.

Coley,
So basically you are thinking of palmering a thin strip of foam over the entire hook shank then covering it with mylar tubing, correct?
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/21/14 01:30 PM

Another old school trick is to use aluminum can material cut to baitfish shape / size before sliding over the Mylar body tubing. Lash the aluminum straight to the hook shank. It won't float, but it's a killer sub surface pattern that is very light and structurally tough.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/21/14 01:59 PM

Nick,
You can accomplish something similar by using Fleye Foils then covering them with a UV Cure.
It doen't quite give the shape you describe but they are easy to make and super durable compared to mylar tubing.
http://www.wetahook.net/styled/index.html

Here is a baitfish I tied using a Sand Eel foil.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/21/14 02:28 PM

Nice. +1

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/21/14 02:36 PM

Hey John,
Don't tarpon like flies with big eyes?
Have you seen these? I just stumbled upon these while looking for some other materials. I hadn't ever seen these before.
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/fly-tying/materials/beads/flat-eyes.html

You can adhere the Living or 3D eyes to them.
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/fly-tying/materials/beads/living-eyes.html
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/fly-tying/materials/beads/oval-pupil-3-d-eyes.html
http://www.anglersworkshop.com/fly-tying/materials/beads/fishize.html

They look pretty light which might work if you need some slightly weighted patterns.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/22/14 12:29 AM

Mylar over foam FSB 2.2
Thoughts?????

Posted by: Jonas

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/22/14 01:46 AM

its jonas......

.........thougtss

looks like somebody twisted up a pinner.....

'.. and is trying to light it with a sparkler

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/22/14 08:20 AM

Thanks Jonas.
Pinners and sparklers....good combo.
Thinking about it last night while sitting by the space heater, I decided to remove the tail. It didn't look right with the junction tubing and that would have weigh heavily on me during my bike ride to the canal this morning.
I'll need lots of whiskey to warm up after I'm done fishing today. I hope you have the lodge well stocked.
SF

Posted by: Dub

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/22/14 11:17 AM

Definately the most interesting fishing related thread on this site in months. I have been checking in daily and I don't flyfish. Thanks guys.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/22/14 10:37 PM

I did a bit of FSB beta testing today.
Version 2.0 hooked up three fish. Version 2.2 drew a skunk. It needs more foam.
Got a really nice fish on the sparse chartreuse head popper I posted earlier.
Sorry for the fuzzy moon shots.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/24/14 01:57 PM

Yes! The FSB getting it done! Very cool.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/24/14 03:50 PM

John
Been hitting the canal. Areas around small creeks have been good.
Lots of size variety in the fish which is good to see.
A few post spawn fish in the mix but many healthy fat looking non spawners.
Chum fry should get going soon.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 01:30 PM

BU,

What, you want me to take pictures of the sample fly patterns I bought at the fly fishing show a couple weekends ago? What I posted previously is the entirety of my steelhead fly box. Well I could photograph the Baker's dozen that Coley sent me. Haven't lost any of those yet, altho I had to replace a straightened hook on one after last Sunday's outing.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 03:22 PM

Pile o' Prom Dresses fresh off the vice and headed for the mail box.

Got bling?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 03:39 PM

Wow, nice.
Reminiscent of a Saturday afternoon in October.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 04:49 PM

Charles, will something like this work for your Orange Heron's?

First attempt at working with the real thing. I like it.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 05:25 PM

Hey Brian, how would this work as an FSB type pattern? Seems to float OK in the sink at least.

White fly foam wrapped on the shank under mylar minnow body. I wanted to put one of those bubble/gurgle heads on the front but didn't have any handy. I might try something like this in the spring as the fry tend to travel at or near the surface.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 06:23 PM

Good deal. I'll twist up a handful and send em your way.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/01/14 08:26 PM

Coley,
I like the floater. That will hunt.
The one I posted earlier needed more foam. I only had small Mylar so I had to go thin on the foam. It sank pretty good....;)
Nice work on the pd's as well.

I put the FSB on a diet. I used some thinner foam and painted the back with black glitter nail polish.
The beta test today resulted in eight takes but only one fish to hand. Good that they like it but I'm wondering about the hook placement. Might try just tying some on a hook versus a tube to see if the fish stay buttoned better.
Here is a comparison picture of the two.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/02/14 01:09 PM

Charles, PM me your address. I've got a handful of flies ready to go for ya.

Awful pretty feathers.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/02/14 08:49 PM

First attempt at a floating chum fry since some were spotted this weekend.
Used a silver metallic sharpie to color the foam.
I don't like the body shape but hope to solve that once the round Rainy's foam I ordered comes in.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/03/14 12:21 AM

Those are pre-ban heron feathers, right, Coley?

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/03/14 12:26 AM

But of course.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/08/14 08:30 PM

Glad you care package showed up Charles.

The material in question is silver pheasant.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/09/14 01:36 PM

Water was dirty yesterday from all the wind and rain last week. Some chum fry were present so I threw this all day on an intermediate line. Figured the head would cause some disturbance which might help get some action.

Ended up with eight hook-up on a really wet day.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/09/14 08:18 PM

Very nice. 2 more nights of work then I'm off for 3 weeks. Might have to get in some beach fishing for a fix.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/09/14 08:37 PM

BTW I just replentished by chicken flock. The Rooster is a big guy with lots of barred feathers just like the ones on your latest popper, but with his almost 3 inch spurs I'm a little apprehensive about trying to harvest any. Thanks for the posts SF. When I was younger, before I caught my steelhead addiction I spent most my time targeting cutties in most of the streams all around the Hood Canal. Ironically we always hooked several steelhead every year on light spinning setups as bycatch, but it took me years to even consider targeting them. Ah the good old days. Thanks again.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/11/14 12:18 PM

Metal,
I used to fish all those canal streams as well. It is a shame what they've become in regards to steelhead.

A few chum fry per Coley's suggestion of mylar over foam. Like the bodies, need to work on the tails.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/11/14 12:26 PM

Cool! How do they float compared to the FSB? I like the use of the grizzly for the parr marks. I might try and work that into a smolt pattern.

Not the most aesthetic from a tying standpoint, but I tie a few smolt/fry patterns with these tails

Betcha they would work well on your troots as well with added action.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/11/14 12:56 PM

Coley,
Not great on the float but they give a good bobbing action on the strip pause with a decent surface commotion.
They would need more foam to really float well but that would mess up the smaller profile.
I do plan to tie up some bigger versions this summer for coho.

Those curly tails would surely add some action to any pattern.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/11/14 11:55 PM

I am releasing a limited edition version of my "Lucky" yarnball.

Fish catching function with a touch of class.

I am going to call it the "KK gets Lucky." The yarn is 100% goat, I thought it fitting.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/12/14 12:05 AM

Nice Coley.

I've been messing around with bendbacks a bit lately. I don't have the correct hooks and they are difficult to find. I ended up bending a 811S to get a decent shape. I added a few lead wraps to give it a keel for point up presentation. I covered the lead wraps and body braid with UV cure for durability.

If anyone has a state side source for Tiemco 411S bendback or Mustad 79666S keel hooks please let me know.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/12/14 12:30 AM

Great looking fly Brian!

Checked my sources and none carry that 411S. Sorry man.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/12/14 01:01 PM

I thought you like those gami SC17's for tarpon?

Snow...its dumping right now. So much for an early spring.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/12/14 03:19 PM

I am jealous BU. Gotta take one of those trips before too long. Stuck working on my house and rentals this week off. Might sneak to the OP for a one dayer though with as nice as it is and therivers dropping in nicely.

Coley you obviously have cabin fever.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/12/14 09:47 PM

"When the tide was right"..... Funny how that works out sometimes.

To bad about the piglet refusal. Should have used a popper. wink

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/12/14 10:18 PM

Nice Coley.

I've been messing around with bendbacks a bit lately. I don't have the correct hooks and they are difficult to find. I ended up bending a 811S to get a decent shape. I added a few lead wraps to give it a keel for point up presentation. I covered the lead wraps and body braid with UV cure for durability.

If anyone has a state side source for Tiemco 411S bendback or Mustad 79666S keel hooks please let me know.
SF

I saw a pattern similar to that at Waters West. Grabbed a couple with the idea of tying my own. That bend back caught my eye for sure.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/15/14 10:10 PM

Latest FSB version.
Finally got some 1/4 round Rainy's foam. Colored them up with a silver metallic sharpie and added some par marks. They got eaten a few time today.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/16/14 03:47 PM

Good looking baitfish imitation there! Kinda' makes the Chum baby fly pattern obsolete.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/16/14 03:54 PM

Stonefish -

See if you can't cut an angled head backwards and get that baby diving. Kinda like a Dahlberg diver. I bet if you got the angle correct, it would dive down a few inches and pop right back up like a boss.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/16/14 09:55 PM

Nick,
I like that idea. I've got a few other ideas in mind that I need to crank out.

Another tier on another forum I frequent cuts his tubes at an angle the adds a round sequin to the front of the fly. When stripped in it give the pattern a diving and erratic action. I plan to play around a bit with that as well.

I played around a bit more today with the round Rainy's foam. I like the look better with both ends of the foam tied down.
This one came out at 3" in length.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/16/14 10:10 PM

Looking good Brian! It has been fun watching the FSB evolution. Seems like you are onto something with the round foam there. I like the look and it seems the action is how you want it?

This long winter has really given me a case of the blues lately.

yarn...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/16/14 10:51 PM

Very nice Cabin Boi!
That second one is killer! sparse and unweighted.... just almost time for summer runts

Blues are always good... JC adds a nice touch! I need to get me a cap soon....ugh

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/23/14 10:05 PM

John,
Good talking to you.
Got out late today so no Costco style fill up at Waters West.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/24/14 12:26 PM

Fishing was ok.
The drinks were great.
The food sucked yet again.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/24/14 12:54 PM

If you drink first the food will
"SEEM" better.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/24/14 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
If you drink first the food will
"SEEM" better.

Drank before, during and after....it didn't help.

Nice blinger John.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/29/14 12:14 AM

I saw this on another board so I thought I'd give it a try.
I didn't have the type of tails or color I wanted but I still think a coho would eat it.
I connected the tail by wrapping thread around Senyo wire. I then burned a hole in the tail and super glued it onto the wire. The wire is rigid enough to keep the tail in place.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/29/14 01:46 AM

Nice Wiggletailclousercharlie! No reason a self respecting wouldn't eat that.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/30/14 03:10 PM

That sure is a purdy fish BU. Nice bling! Not sure if there are any die hard ascotiers on this board. Pretty sure most of us fish gear rods and mix it up with the bug rods. I snuck up on Friday and swung some of the runs on the Sol duc. No players, but it was nice to get a line wet. Are you gonna give us a peek at some of your tarpon bugs?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/31/14 03:30 PM

I'll bet you used too much glue....;)

Just the right amount of glue this time captain.
I did manage to get some UV cure in my mouth. Lovely tasting stuff.
Note to self, cure it before messing with the feathers or fur. grin
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/31/14 09:42 PM

Purple & Gold rofl

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/07/14 05:09 PM

Houndstooth for Vedder would be most apropos....

Stonefish - did you ever tie up a diving popper with a cut / angled face?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/07/14 05:50 PM

Nick,
Not yet. Been tying a bunch of trout bugs for bobber watch. Fishing was excellent this weekend with some major chironomid hatches coming off
I'll probably wait till summer coho are around to do the diving popper.
Been think about a possible foam body cut plug fished on a full sinker idea as well for this summer.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/10/14 07:35 PM

Nice. Look forward to a full report. Did you guys get matching ascots for the trip?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/12/14 02:34 PM

Don't go posting up pics of tarpons caught on bait and lures...this isn't a fishing thread, it's an Ascot Thread wink

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/12/14 10:31 PM

I did manage to get some UV cure in my mouth

Did ya shoot the light in after? Nah, that would be a coug-move

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/16/14 02:10 AM

How does the saying go?

I think it was something like...

Oh yeah,

"pics or it didn't happen"

ye old bastard.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/16/14 12:36 PM

Looking forward to your trip report.

One thing tho, when it comes to fishing in the tropics, do buffs make good ascots?
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/17/14 02:48 PM

Our guide wore one....

I myself did not.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/18/14 01:51 PM

Nice pics John.
Hopefully you'll clean your left shoe before hopping on the plane home... grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/26/14 03:05 AM

Few I've been working on since I got two JC capes in the mail a week ago or so... slightly smaller shanks 1.5" to for early season summers that we only have a few more years to fish on..... ugh

Gotta love them blues....no weighted eyes

7/32 eyes

Prince purple?... no eyes

One with eyes....

Had a tube request from a buddy, almost have it where I like it...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/26/14 10:25 AM

Looking good Luis. Nice JC stash.....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/26/14 12:51 PM

Thanks Buffalo Bob!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 05/15/14 04:38 PM

Where's Mr. Mountie?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 07/19/14 09:58 PM

Bringing this back to the top since it kind of died out.
Anyone else tying up some new stuff?
Here is what I've been working on. This is the first version. The tail needs some work.
Critiques, suggestions and criticisms welcome.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 07/20/14 01:35 PM

Looks edible there Stonefish!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 07/21/14 01:41 PM

Very nice! My only concern would be short strikes. Maybe a tube? That would hinder any tail wag though. A braided stinger would work. Sharp fly. Keep us posted. I might chase some silvers off the beach when they get here in force.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 07/21/14 01:58 PM

I put a larger eye on it, so hopefully I'll get some head shots and avoid short strikes. I covered the hook portion with UV cure for durability but want the tail to be flexible so it would move in the current.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/15/14 06:07 PM

Oh no, it's back!

Great timing. With fall fishing winding down for the year, I was just thinking yesterday about blowing the dust off the tying table and starting to remember how to put feathers on a hook.

That barred hackle does have a nice look. For once your old eyes don't deceive you.

Ostrich?

Until recently I didn't realize that there is such a huge difference in ostrich feathers. Some of the higher grade stuff actually looks a lot more like rhea.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/15/14 07:41 PM

Good looking fly John.
My only suggestion would be to add a bit of gold in there somewhere.
It would look great with that purple. grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/15/14 07:59 PM

Gold and green will clash......

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/15/14 09:27 PM

rofl

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/16/14 01:01 PM

Say BU could you barr dye some of my pre-embargo heron feathers to look like that? If only heron came in colors other than blue dun, which is so boring . . .

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/16/14 01:38 PM

Sharpee.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/17/14 02:02 PM

With that input, Sharpie it is.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/18/14 03:42 PM

Nice. What's the hackle, BEP?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/22/14 05:59 PM

Rubbish.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/22/14 08:47 PM

I can't think of any reason why that Cooger Fly wouldn't work well...if by "well" you mean a great cast, erratic strip, slashing take, solid hookup, blistering runs...

...and then breaking your heart by falling off right at the beach.

Every time.

rofl

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/12/14 10:44 PM

I've been on a bit of a topwater tube tying binge lately.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/14 10:56 AM

Stoney, those look like a miniature version of the probe my proctologist pulled on me the other day....

but I was drugged @ the time.

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/14 12:49 PM

A slight variation of the Delia Conehead Squid tied on a tube.
Crosscut bunny instead of marabou for the tail, UV Krystal Flash and a Fishmask tied into the rear third to hold the eyes.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/14 01:05 PM

Nice looking squid! But do squid live along the beaches of PS and HC? Or does that even matter.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/14 01:25 PM

Sg,
I've seen people foul hook squid as well as squid attacking their flies on Puget Sound beaches. I've never seen it on the canal but don't doubt it could happen there.
Even if squid aren't present, I think cutts and coho are opportunistic enough feeders to inhale one if given the chance.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/15/14 09:20 PM

That's a good bug period!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/16/14 12:32 AM

I was fishing it on the edges this morning.....the edges of ice.
First time I've ever seen the canal frozen. Very strange morning to say the least.
Once the wind started blowing and the tide started moving, it started to break up and it was game on.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/16/14 01:35 PM

Delia lives not too far up the.bay from me..seen a few of those in bushes behind some likely looking spots...

smile

Given their locations, I figured them for high tide beaches

I loose very little flies when fishing cutts, since I'm typically fishing out of a boat. My hooks rust up before they get broken off. However, sometimes they do break off to underwater structures like pilings, boat ramps, and submarines. smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/18/14 12:23 AM

After watching my buddy Tim put on a searun cutthroat clinic this weekend using a Johnson's Beach Fly, I figured I better add some to my box.
Here are a few variations I tied up. Kudos to Les Johnson for developing his Beach Fly.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/22/14 02:37 PM

It;s that time of year again. Too much yarn in my immediate future. Hoping to make time for some feathers at some point.

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/23/14 10:38 PM

Can't tie a fly but fortunately for KK it only takes one good hand to smear peanut butter on his balls and waddle out to the goat pen.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 08:29 AM

Enjoy yarning coli....

smile

I think there might be some new pills to cure that

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 01:04 PM

Tied Spey fly # 10 last night for a fly swap. I should take a picture of my handiwork. They're nicer flies than what I fish with (except for the flies Coley sent me), incorporating old pre-embargo jungle cock and heron in each.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 01:24 PM

Shoulda, coulda.

Let's see it!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 03:53 PM

I've see a few spey ties recently that have used dyed Gadwall flank for the hackle. Anyone ever experiment with these feathers? The barred look is pretty awesome.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 04:07 PM

I like the color of those Coley.
I've never used Gadwall. I wonder what the difference is between Gadwall and Mallard Flank? Length, stiffness....?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 07:16 PM

I was wondering if barb/fiber length would be the limiting factor. Not having seen it in person I was hoping that the length might make it to 2/0 or 3/0. probably not eh?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/24/14 08:11 PM

That mallard flank is sticky stuff. Hard to keep separated when you want to. I like the bronze mallard for wings. Fairly easy to work with. Easier than the turkey on Dees. That stuff can be a bitch to get laying right if you botch your first try or two, which I often do.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/04/14 11:53 PM

I've been on a bit of a sculpin tying kick lately.
A little different pattern using yellow polar chenille for the belly.
Should have some decent movement with the bunny and chenille.
Eyes will give it a hook up presentation.
Beta testing hopefully this weekend.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/05/14 08:10 AM

Lunker catchers

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/05/14 09:29 AM

Recents.....

After last year and lots of hand outs and freebies, my buddy that's a dedicated spey fisher and moved on to the longer Next Cast lines asked me to make him flies big but sparse. I switch to a slightly longer lines as well last winter and those big, thick water logged intruders weren't getting out.... So here are a few with our eyes and a few with, enjoy!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/05/14 12:12 PM

Bantam,
Those look great.
I may need to break out my spey rod this winter that hasn't been wet in more then 10 years.
With all the new lines available since I last tried it, they might help take my terrible spey casting to half ass level.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/05/14 07:42 PM

SF, Those Sculpin looks sweet! I need to tie up some more natural color intruders for low/clear conditions... I have a decent line collection, what vintage stick do you have that needs a dusting?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/05/14 07:57 PM

Bantam,
Thanks for the generous offer.
I'm not really sure what model it is. It is a Sage 14' 9 wt. It is brown, maybe a VPS or VPX? Not really sure. I'll have to dig it out from the rod dungeon.
At the time that is what was recommended to me as a good all around salmon and steelhead stick.
To me, it seems a bit clubish for the rivers around here. If I had it to do over again I'd go with shorter and lighter rod wt.
As far as casting, I was just ok river right. River left I was a danger to myself.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/06/14 07:11 PM

River left I was a danger to myself.

Alright, that made me laugh.

Nice of you, Bantam. I'd like to see Stoney roaming the gravel bars on the upper Sky w/ vintage Spey in hand.

King of the bar?

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/07/14 02:19 AM

SF, I have a Skagit 630 or a 650 that should get you going on you river left self destruction

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/14/14 02:21 PM

Not sure if Ascots are allowed in Hawaii, but, oh well. I'll wear my baseball cap.

Going to forego a February Steelhead trip this year for a trip to Maui. My parents 50th is this year, and they're renting a house for three weeks and invited us kids and grandkids along for any part of the three weeks we can make it. We're looking forward to it.

So, I'm in the process of tying up some tropical flies. I think I may bring some of my cut throat patterns too, but, here is my latest ties from last night.

[/URL][/img]

Not sure I like the green with the pink. I'll change that up. But, I bet the fish don't care much.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/14/14 02:53 PM

Dude those look good.

Better grab that big saltwater 8/9 reel off me.

Was looking @ on WFF & a member hooked a huge bonefish like 8-10 lbs. And at one point he about 2 wraps of backing left. That's about 700' of line out, on a 8 weight.

Wow.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/14/14 03:02 PM

SRoffe,

I visited Maui last April and at nearly the last minute learned of a fishing guide there and was able to get a half-day trip with him on my last day there. Guided fishing there is way expensive compared to what I'm used to - $600 for the half-day for two of us, and it was a walk and wade trip. If you're interested I'll give you his contact info. Or I can just share what I learned.

There are bonefish, big ones. It's blind casting, rather than sight fishing. Structure and tides are key. I learned a bit about the structure part, but tides are an experience thing. Think 8 or 9 wt, and the longest casts you can make for hours on end. Typical bonefish style patterns, key colors being from light tan, medium and pinkish tan, to dark tan, almost brown, depending on time of year. Size 6 and 4, especially 4. Weighted for the depth you're fishing, which will likely range from 18" to waist deep. Expect to be wading and casting in surf that darn near knocks you over. We fished in surf that my SIL and wife took surfing lessons in the day before; you will get wet to armpit deep.

About structure. Structure is any change in substrate. Any obvious or not so obvious channel. A line formed by cobble that changes to sand; bones follow these lines.

We caught none during our limited time, but the guide had photos from the day before with one bone that was an easy 10 pounds caught by Jimmy Kimmel who he guided that day.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/14/14 03:12 PM

Thanks SG.

Ye Ole Mingo inspired me just to check out what I can catch off the beach where ever I am. I'd like to pick his brain too.

If I get to tango with a Bone Fish, that would be extra special. Just being there will be extra special. I guess I better repair my 8wt rod too. I was just planning on taking a 6wt for fishing for small reef fish, the 8wt might come in handy.

I didn't want to go to hog wild there. This is suppose to be more relaxing and enjoying time with the family. Since this is a beach house, we may have a kayak and paddle board available to us.

I've go plenty of tan calf tail. Gray and Olive too. Plenty of Mustad hooks too that have been siting around. Good time to use up my inventory of stuff!

Sam

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/14/14 05:10 PM

Those look great Sam.
I've got boxes of bonefish flies if you need any bigger patterns.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/14/14 06:45 PM

I wish I had more time in Maui when I visited FAST WATER last March. I was just settling in on day 6, getting the bug to get out and fish while we were out there. Maybe next time, if there's a next time.....

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 12:32 AM

SG,

I was re-reading you post, and you said a couple things I didn't really catch the first time.

The shade of fly from a light tan to dark brown depending on the year. Did your guide give you a reference to the time of year to use a particular color? It would be easy enough to tie a few shades of tan to brown to carry with me. I don't know if my arm would handle hours of casting a 8 wt. to try all the shades of tan. Maybe two. :-)

Also you mentioned tide? Incoming or outgoing better? Or is the direction of the current dictate where the fish will be coming from? Or if they're even there or not?

I figure, like any type of fishing, it's a learning game, and I probably won't do much learning on my own in 10 days with out a guide. I'd like your guides name. I may give him a call when we're there.

Brian,

Thanks for the offer of some flies. That is kind of you.

Aloha,

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 01:31 PM

I've just started to do a bit of research into the fishing possibilities on the big island for a trip in Feb. Sounds like there are a few bays that bonefish inhabit and I might have to spend a little time trying to figure the game out while we are there.

From what I've found so far and in speaking with a few folks who have been, the Mantis shrimp are a major source of food and a local favorite for fly pattern across HI. Most of the Mantis patterns I seen recommended down there are longer and larger profile as compared to the typical Crazy Charlie and Gotcha styles. Hook size and general body design are similar but with a longer profile and barred materials in the body seem to be the general theme for the Mantis.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 01:44 PM

I would tie up an octopus leg fly, about 12" or so.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 01:47 PM

Sounds like a big clouser tied in the appropriate colors would work as well.
Break out the permanent marker Sam to get the barred look Coley referred to.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 02:08 PM

In all seriousness, fly fishing the big island or maui for a bonefish is doable but you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage by using a fly rod. For the fly guys, Molokai is the PLACE. Oahu also has some popular "flats." I know you are all used to not catching fish but if your trip is winding down, you are sick of casting in the heavy wind, you haven't caught a bonefish and you just want to catch one....string up an octopus leg or strip of squid, wing it out there on a few ounces of lead fished so that the bait lays on the bottom and you are in business. You can keep fly fishing while the bait soaks and if there are boners around, you will catch one. Maybe a big one.

I know it's not fly fishing, but if you want to feel like you still tied the fly (bait) that you are fishing with in order to have a complete experience.... Grab some snorkel gear, a sharp stick and go pull yourself an octopus out of the reef. Kill it and cut the lower half or 2/3 of it's legs off. Eat the rest. An experience in itself.

Here's a good one from a month or two ago.

Anybody coming to Maui that wants to catch a pacific bonefish in Hawaii, feel free to PM me and I will show you my spot.

p.s. I will not charge you $600 dollars or $.06. Unless you are Salmo G, since I know he's a bit of a sucker, I will take him to a shore break for an expensive casting session laugh

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 02:16 PM

Tako fly smile

My main agenda will be playing in the ocean, exploring some jungle and volcanoes, and maybe trying to ride some waves. The fishing is a bit of an afterthought, but with two weeks in the area I might waste a day or two flinging feathers around.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 02:17 PM

Sam,

The guide is Capt. Jon Jon, and his website is localfishingknowledge.com. He's a lifelong Maui resident, son of a commercial fisherman, and he seems to know his stuff. His phone number is 808-385-1337. He takes reservations months in advance. We were only able to get the half day we did because one of his clients who is in Maui for 2-3 months at a time was willing to re-schedule.

Like Coley posted, patterns of mantis shrimp are preferred. The guide ties and uses some pretty simple and crude patterns, and he went gah-gah over the flies I brought. The favorite was a pinkish-dark tan color, size 4. I didn't get a month by month color description unfortunately. Rubber legs on the mantis are good.

Incoming tide is what we fished, but Jon Jon intoned that if you know where to look, you can also fish outgoing. The fishing was a bit physically demanding, especially when we started getting knocked around by the waves. Make the longest cast you can along a channel or structure line, then fan your casts. Let the fly sink. Then make "pronounced" strips, up to 3', fast. These shrimp apparently haul ass when they know a fish is around. There are a couple other flats species that you might encounter besides bonefish, but I don't remember the names. This was a lot harder than any PS beach fishing I've done and most steelheading too, for that matter. So many casts even my arm hurt after 4 hours.

The good beaches are scattered. A good place to begin is in Kehei. Drive down to the road closest to the beach. There is public access every 500 feet, or maybe it's every 500 yards. Anyway, that's how you get to the beach unless you're already staying there. Hike N and S looking for any changes that equate to struture, which are travel routes that bones are attuned to according to Jon Jon. You may see 1 or 2 other fly fishermen, which probably means Jon Jon and a client are fishing the area or maybe some other tourist.

Good luck!

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 02:18 PM

Sounds like your priorities are in order smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/15/14 02:37 PM

Reefskunk,

Hey now, it's not that I didn't appreciate your offer. I just don't expect you to understand how the mind of some fly guys works. Maybe an analogy will help. Since bonefish are a suitable fly rod fish species, catching one on octopus and a few ounces of lead is no more satisfying or rewarding than catching a steelhead in a gillnet. Flyfishing for bonefish isn't a disadvantage if you don't want to catch one on bait.

Uh, thanks for the updated offer, I think. I thought I was going to have more time to fish, but a week goes by quickly, and the family had a lot of other plans. It's hard to get much fishing time in because we don't go to Hawaii to fish. It's just another activity to try to fit into the schedule.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/16/14 04:46 PM

Sam,

The guide is Capt. Jon Jon, and his website is localfishingknowledge.com. He's a lifelong Maui resident, son of a commercial fisherman, and he seems to know his stuff. His phone number is 808-385-1337. He takes reservations months in advance. We were only able to get the half day we did because one of his clients who is in Maui for 2-3 months at a time was willing to re-schedule.

Like Coley posted, patterns of mantis shrimp are preferred. The guide ties and uses some pretty simple and crude patterns, and he went gah-gah over the flies I brought. The favorite was a pinkish-dark tan color, size 4. I didn't get a month by month color description unfortunately. Rubber legs on the mantis are good.

Incoming tide is what we fished, but Jon Jon intoned that if you know where to look, you can also fish outgoing. The fishing was a bit physically demanding, especially when we started getting knocked around by the waves. Make the longest cast you can along a channel or structure line, then fan your casts. Let the fly sink. Then make "pronounced" strips, up to 3', fast. These shrimp apparently haul ass when they know a fish is around. There are a couple other flats species that you might encounter besides bonefish, but I don't remember the names. This was a lot harder than any PS beach fishing I've done and most steelheading too, for that matter. So many casts even my arm hurt after 4 hours.

The good beaches are scattered. A good place to begin is in Kehei. Drive down to the road closest to the beach. There is public access every 500 feet, or maybe it's every 500 yards. Anyway, that's how you get to the beach unless you're already staying there. Hike N and S looking for any changes that equate to struture, which are travel routes that bones are attuned to according to Jon Jon. You may see 1 or 2 other fly fishermen, which probably means Jon Jon and a client are fishing the area or maybe some other tourist.

Good luck!Sg

What SG and Coley said. Here's an excellent mantis shrimp pattern for Hawaii, Coach Duff's Spam & Eggs. This is a really crappy pic, but you get the point. I sometimes will use a 9 wt or even a light 10 wt when I'm after bones in Hawaii. You always have a chance to hook a bluefin trevally. Even a GT is a possibility along with cuda, but those usually only hit BIG baitfish patterns and poppers. But using the mantis shrimp type flies like Tim Borski's slider can also attract nice goatfish and the other crazy psychedelics you've seen me post up.

Reef Skunk, I'll fish with you any time braddah. I'll bring the green bottle and fling flies and lures while you soak tako and ika and slide a big manini down fo' dat big ulua. smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/17/14 08:50 PM

Put the mountain of yarn aside for a brief bit this evening and tried to revisit this whole married wing thing.

Wound up with a fly but not super happy with it.

Throat is too long, tippet too short, head too fat, and ugly body hackle. Couldn't keep the wing from folding up on itself at the head and it is too short as well. The whole fly came up short of the eye by quite a bit, or rather I made it so.

Good practice. I'll be hacking it off the hook shortly. Need more materials, surely that is my problem...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/18/14 08:30 AM

OK Coley, so maybe that one isn't "high art," but stick it in your box. It'll fish.

For a guy who ties yarn balls, you're doing quite well in the salmon fly department.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/18/14 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: SRoffe
So, I'm in the process of tying up some tropical flies. I think I may bring some of my cut throat patterns too, but, here is my latest ties from last night.

[/URL][/img]

Not sure I like the green with the pink. I'll change that up. But, I bet the fish don't care much.

Those little charlie-type patterns will all fish over there and will attract all kinds of reef exotics. Pinch your barbs, when the exotics are hungry they'll suck those down like candy. Just keep a steady quick strip and always toss your fly into the foamy opaque water of incoming waves. The fish are waiting for tidbits to be washed in. Lots of stuff will hit those including goatfish like this moana....

Also, to answer your question, your cutthroat patterns will work too. Trevally will eat all kinds of them smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/18/14 04:30 PM

Put the mountain of yarn aside for a brief bit this evening and tried to revisit this whole married wing thing.

Wound up with a fly but not super happy with it.

Throat is too long, tippet too short, head too fat, and ugly body hackle. Couldn't keep the wing from folding up on itself at the head and it is too short as well. The whole fly came up short of the eye by quite a bit, or rather I made it so.

Good practice. I'll be hacking it off the hook shortly. Need more materials, surely that is my problem...

Looks great in my uneducated eyes to detail Coley.
I scored it a 10.

Mingo,
Love the blue fins on those trevally.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/18/14 06:02 PM

Got to catch up here:

SF. That sculpin patern looks good. Brad will be mad at me for not making a Waters West run on the way home from Forks today. I was like the few fish around that just wanted to get home.

bantam: nice patterns there.

Mingo: what weight fly rod do you use for those reef fish?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/19/14 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: SRoffe

Mingo: what weight fly rod do you use for those reef fish?

I use everything from a 7' 1wt rod to a 10' 4 wt for reef exotics. A good standard rod would be a 9 foot 5 wt for reef fish, but anything from a 3 wt to a 7 wt will work just fine. I fish a lot of rocky areas where a stouter rod helps, because most of the fish you will hook WILL dive into small caves and under ledges if given the chance, so you have to muscle them up to the surface quickly.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/19/14 11:46 AM

Built two more sets of wings this morning. I cant get golden pheasant to marry with anything. Strange as it seems to be called for in a lot of traditional patterns.

Got a little bit of straightening and length adjusting to do on them before they will go on a fly.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/20/14 11:57 AM

Steam them eh. Stick em together while they are still wet then? Does steaming help straighten bent or curved barbs as well? Some of the turkey I've got is less than straight which makes it hard to work with.

I successfully ruined both sets of wings trying to put them on a hook yesterday. Lame.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/20/14 01:14 PM

I'm not sure how it would work on feather wing material, but I've put the desired curves in golden pheasant crests for tails and toppings by soaking them in warm water for a few hours and then draping them over a glass or whatever has the desired shape until they dry. Might work?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/20/14 09:24 PM

I've been trying to come up with a good marine worm pattern tied on a tube.
I tied these up today. I tied them on silicone tubing rather then hard tubes so they will wiggle and give some movement in the current.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/20/14 10:23 PM

I like the sounds of that SF. Where did you get that tubing? I know I have some around that might work I have use for my fixed float.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/20/14 10:38 PM

Sam,
I got the tubing at Sportco. I bet OE carries it as well.
It is 1/16 diameter.

I inserted a small piece of 1/16 diameter hard tubing into each end. That allows me to add a junction tube to the tail and burn the front tube to keep the bead or cone in place like what you would on a Shock & Awe.
Here is what it looks like before tying it with the junction tubing added as an example.

SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/21/14 12:16 PM

Yup, that's what I bought at OE. You rigged it up just the way I imagined. Feeble minds, eh?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/21/14 12:46 PM

If you have any friends that work at hospitals, have them keep an eye out for tubing of your preferred size. Quite often they throw out batches of brand new things like nasal canulas, IV drip kits, etc. I've got yards of the stuff that my wife salvaged from the hospital she works at.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/21/14 03:02 PM

Good suggestion Coley.

Here are a few bunny & polar chenille worms tied on tubes.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 12/22/14 03:36 PM

Nice. Rainbows would eat those with reckless abandon up this way. The bottom two look a lot like some of the super simple flesh flies I like to swing in the fall. The chenille adds a nice sparkly element.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/05/15 08:13 PM

Playing around with some smelt patterns.
This one is UV polar chenille on a tube.
A dry and wet pic.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/15 11:16 AM

Looks fishy!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/06/15 12:05 PM

Ft Casey Special.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/08/15 09:08 PM

A couple of other married wing things. The second is still in process, probably the process of getting recycled.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/09/15 09:30 AM

Salmo's fly re-cycling, at your service! Remember that I fish for un-selective trout and other fish that aren't too particular, Coley. I'm still getting mileage from the flies you sent me last year, not that those flies were rejects by any means.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/11/15 09:37 PM

You haven't lost all of those flies yet SG? Either you aren't fishing deep enough, or often enough wink

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/12/15 09:07 AM

Definitely not fishing often enough, but what else is new in that regard? And because they're such nice flies, I use them more when I fish higher in the water column. Still I've had to re-sharpen a couple and replace hooks on a couple of the shank flies. Truly appreciated. Now if only I could get a little more steelhead appreciation, as most have been eaten by bull trout.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 01/12/15 09:16 PM

Use em up. I've got boxes worth I'll never fish and always need a good excuse to tie more. Let me know when you're getting low and Ill send you another handful or two.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/05/15 07:34 PM

Not really, was really busy finishing up the PS rivers boating season dragon werms for over sized steelhatz in my under aumour ascot

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/08/15 08:11 PM

They're probably looking for all them missing shrub picking kids locked up in some Quilbillie goat fvckers basement

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/15 06:36 PM

Hey boys, this my 1st go at a spey, think i might have flair for it. Takes a supple wrist action.....

thumbs

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/15 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Hey boys, this my 1st go at a spey, think i might have flair for it. Takes a supple wrist action..... thumbs
\

Wow! Give this man an ascot! Nice work, but I don't think that's a "Spey" fly. It's a fly tied in the classic Atlantic salmon tradition, but Spey flies are characterized I think by long palmered hackles, like heron or BE pheasant, etc.

I sitting down to the vise also. I've about run out of the flies Coley sent me, so I need more bait. I got a dozen hooks ready and turned one out last night. I need more self discipline.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/26/15 09:46 PM

Pretty impressive there Brad. thumbs

I think our next trip out to the OP we should be swinging that fly in a nice tail out. I'm game,... are you? smile

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 02/27/15 11:55 AM

Man I thought you'd out me. I didn’t tie that thing, pulled it off WFF.

I appreciate looking at fine flys, Spey, Atlantic or whatever I just don't have the dexterity or patience. Did make a passible one for Mom, as she asked for a pretty one. But it was STRESSFUL.

Sam when you and Steinbach are yakking about reels @ Water West I'm over fondling the expensive flys, that is after I visit w/ JD out back, of course.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/02/15 08:57 PM

Bringing this back up to the top.
I've been playing around with some sandlance tubes.
Post up what you've been cranking out.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/03/15 08:37 AM

fishy looking

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/07/15 01:32 AM

Awesome candlefish there Stonefish. A half size version of that is essentially what I use for smolt in the spring, though I haven't tried them on a tbe. Speaking of, it's just about that time again here in the far north.

Haven't had much vise time this winter. I did manage a session or two last week. Twisted up a few intruder types and some more classic looking things.

Need any baits Salmo G?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/07/15 09:09 AM

Coley,

Nice work there Coley, as per usual. You know me, never to proud to accept free bait. If you wanna' tie 'em, I love to fish 'em. Makes me appear far more classier on the river than I really am.

I should report that of the shank flies you last sent me, the loops pulled free on 3 of them. Fortunately I discovered it while knotting the fly to tippet and then giving the fly a tug, rather than while fishing it and getting a grab. After the first one, I tested the rest, discovering the other 2. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but you might want to test any that you plan to fish.

A friend of mine secures his hook loops to shanks just with tying thread and super glue and never has them pull free. I've always run the loop through the hook eye and fold it over, giving it a double wrap, which seems to work. But I don't tie all that many in that style, so my sample size is small.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/07/15 10:17 AM

Three blowouts eh? Well that is rather embarrassing. Admittedly, I've been stepping down from what I used to do on the shank/hang back flies, which was lots of thread and super glue on top of doubled over wire or braid. After never having had one fail I started easing off for the sake of tying time, but perhaps I've gone too far the other direction now.

Were the loops that failed braid or wire? Did they fail after fishing them for a while? What did your "test" involve? A hard steady pull?

My bad regardless, just curious as to the nature of the problem as I haven't seen it and thanks for the heads up.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/09/15 09:14 AM

Coley,

They were wire loops. They pulled free before I fished them. The "test" was simply pulling on the hook after I threaded it onto the loop, hard steady pull.

Sg

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/09/15 03:01 PM

Interesting. The bend back in the wire is under quite a bit of tension and I wonder if it loosens the binding thread over time. I am very surprised that the double over wire would pull out even with a moderate amount of thread over top, especially with no junctions in the thread. I am going to dig out a few I've had sitting around for a while and see how they do in the slow pull test. Thanks again for the heads up.

I'll send you a few replacements.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/17/15 11:28 AM

Yellow.....the new chatreuse.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/20/15 02:22 PM

Topwater bug that has been getting eaten lately.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 04/22/15 08:09 AM

Ditch Pickle silicone tube wacky worm.
Should be interesting casting this one......SON!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/03/15 11:16 PM

Let's resurrect this show and tell session again.....
Some recent over the last few months

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/04/15 09:34 AM

Nice work Luis, thought some might enjoy this link as well....

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/october-salon-coachman-all-styles.111561/

c/22

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/04/15 07:25 PM

Nice ties Luis.
Here are a few I've been playing around with.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/04/15 10:17 PM

Reminds me of the 8" blue bunny fly Larry dropped on Jim Teeny up on the Kispiox

The look on his face was priceless.

Cost ya .99 cents to watch it.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ftwgrp3

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/04/15 10:31 PM

Throw a couple of 8mm beads between those segments and you have yourself a wicked steak and eggs fly! Nice twist on an articulated fly. Can say I've seen that approach, stacked tubes, but it seems like a great way to go about it. Well done.

Each section alone would make a great little micro flesh fly, which can be deadly at times.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/05/15 09:15 AM

Nice work you guys!

I haven't tied much in the past year. I must not be fishing enough, or not deep enough when I do fish. Plus Coley takes pity on me and sends me flies, so I had enough for all summer, fall, and this coming winter. One of the nice things about fishing with a floating line is that I don't lose too many flies, although a recent summer run ran away with a Muddler, thanks to crummy RIO leader tippet, but that's another subject. One of the downsides to fishing with a floating line is that I don't catch too many fish. Which isn't so much of a downside since WDFW implemented mandatory hatchery steelhead retention on the Cowlitz and other rivers this year, and I really don't want to keep an October summer run. Alas, the season for the Spade and Muddler is coming to a close, and it's time to swing the pretty flies Coley sent and my ties that resemble decorations for a French whorehouse.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/26/15 04:52 PM

Picked up a traditional style skin the other day for a personal birthday present.... let the fun begin!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/28/15 06:59 PM

Very nice Luis.

Tube bunny sculpin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/30/15 01:46 PM

Polychaete Worm

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/03/16 10:11 PM

Been a bit dead on the feather forum.
Anyone tying anything lately?
A few I tied up tonight.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 10:06 AM

Pretty flies. What do you fish those for? Tiger Muskie? Can't tell what size they are, and they don't look like what you've preferred for coho.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 12:29 PM

Sg
I've been catching resident coho and searuns on them. I've been cutting them back a bit but still a little larger then I'd generally fish with for them. The wiggle action is very good.
I've really been hoping a blackmouth would jump on one. I do plan to fish tigers and lings more this year and will use something like these.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 02:40 PM

Nice ties Stone. Wish I could find the time to sit down at the vise. I don't see that happening until next winter or maybe beyond that. Booo...

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 06:25 PM

Polychaete Worm

$$

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 07:51 PM

Polychaete Worm

$$

Heavy water logged turd... gonna need a +600 grain skagit to chuck that thing Bradley, unless your intentions are wanting to look like the rest of the band wagon spey following... taking up space on every gravel bar

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Bantam
Polychaete Worm

$$

Heavy water logged turd... gonna need a +600 grain skagit to chuck that thing Bradley, unless your intentions are wanting to look like the rest of the band wagon spey following... taking up space on every gravel bar

Luis,
We'll be looking for those Spey God guys on the beach next time C/22 and I are chucking that [Bleeeeep!] with a 6 wt single handers...no 600 needed wink
Polychaete worms.....the new Skykomish Pink Worm Intruder Squidro
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/04/16 11:38 PM

Nice looking stuff there gents.

Vice time has been limited for me this winter as well. I did sit down after getting back from a bahamas trip back in Jan and tie up a few more of the fly I would have liked to have had a lot more of down there. Freestyled a few others, mainly variants of some of Drew Chicone's "essential bonefish patterns." Might be able to manage a pic or two at some point.

Other than those few attempts, my tying table has been more of a yarnball factory than tying table as of late. Kind like my boats (lawn ornaments) and fishing rods (closet space taker uppers).

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/05/16 07:51 PM

Some of the bonefish snacks I've been putting together recently. Mostly fairly simple concoctions of rabbit fur, hair, flash and rubber legs which seems to be a solid recipe for bonefish in certain locals, particularly over turtle grass.

So often I seem to find myself with boxes full of flies that aren't quite right. My trip trip to the Bahamas in January was much like that. I had exactly 4 of a fly that was just right and I happened to lose them all in the mouths of mega bonefish headed somewhere far away from where I hooked them.

Ah the Bahamas...

I'll be back.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/05/16 08:41 PM

Coley, that beach looks perfect right about now

Quote:
Luis,..no 600 needed wink
Polychaete worms.....the new Skykomish Pink Worm Intruder Squidro
SF

Light as a feather, can flick em a fur piece on the 40+ loaded single 6.

That's only a size 4 Gami shown, entire fly is beautifully designed by SFish@abeachnearu

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/05/16 08:53 PM

Coley,
Nice series of pics. Been there before are far as not having the right flies, thankfully just not in the Bahamas.
Anything tan is always my go to down that way along with different weight eyes. Blind patterns saved the one day while fishing off my knees for spooking bones in a salt lake.
Looks like you got hit with a pretty good blow. What island were you on?
That fish looks great.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/05/16 09:03 PM

Coley, what in the hell is on that fish?

Lol, fixed it for ya.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/05/16 09:27 PM

Bread crumbs, lime, coconut, and grated Parmesan. At first glance it does look a little weird, but not to worry, the end result was delicious.

As was the octopus that I happened across in the shallows and cooked up Abu Reefer style.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/06/16 11:20 AM

Coley,
Nice series of pics. Been there before are far as not having the right flies, thankfully just not in the Bahamas.
Anything tan is always my go to down that way along with different weight eyes. Blind patterns saved the one day while fishing off my knees for spooking bones in a salt lake.
Looks like you got hit with a pretty good blow. What island were you on?
That fish looks great.
SF

We were on Green Turtle Cay which is a tiny little island just off of Great Abaco. Awesome little place with super friendly locals and some great options for some family friendly activities.

I'd read that the fishing would be challenging, that the fish were fewer and farther between than in most other places, that the fish were spooky due to pressure, but that the fish here were on the large side. My experience was in line with all of this. It took me a little while to figure out timing and a few places, but after a few days I was getting shots every time out. Didn't have a lot of time to devote to fishing but had some very memorable experiences on a few of times I did get a little time to flog the water.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/06/16 12:56 PM

Coley,
What pattern was it that you wish you had?
Your box looks like it had the right stuff for down that way.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/06/16 05:25 PM

More of the types of flies that I posted pictures of. I've tied up a bunch since having returned. The fish I was finding were primarily over grass beds. As such, the fly that was working well was one that was fairly weed friendly that had good natural movement without stripping. Rabbit, marabou, and long flowy materials that moved well with the natural micro currents seemed to be the ticket. The flies needed to be able to be stripped once or twice quickly through the grass without hanging up and then look enticing sitting motionless on top when the fish came to inspect them. Tans and light browns with a touch of color (pink/orange). Rubber legs have surprisingly good movement when stationary.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/25/16 12:28 PM

I'll bite....
A few recent searun cutt ties. Nothing fancy enough to break out the ascot to fish.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 10/26/16 07:27 PM

Nice work Stoney. thumbs

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/07/16 08:16 PM

Time to spice this thread up a bit.....

AJ 3/0

AJ 1.5

Homemade shanks

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/08/16 07:40 AM

You tie some nice flies while hungover.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/09/16 08:21 PM

Nice ties Bantam.
A few I cranked out recently.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/10/16 06:42 PM

I need a beach rod... Stoney what do you think of a 11'6 6wt Loomis Pro4x?

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/10/16 07:30 PM

Is that a switch Luis?
If so, that would be good for salmon and overkill for cutts.

I fish a Sage XP 697-4 probably 95% of the time off the beaches.
If I was going to buy a new stick, the Scott Radian and Meridian rods are sweet.
I've heard good things about the new Sage X as well.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/10/16 08:23 PM

I think they make a 5wt in the 11'6 length. Just thinking multi purpose rod

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/11/16 01:49 PM

Totally understand wanting to be able to use a rod for multiple fishing applications.
A 5 wt switch is probably equivalent to say a 7 wt single handed?
Probably a good choice for coho but still a little overkill for cutts.
I know some guys fish 3 & 4 wt switch rods for river trout and off the beaches for cutts.

I wish I was more help but I'm challenged when it comes to two handed fishing and knowledge about the rods and lines.
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/12/16 04:05 PM

How about a casting project?

Wondering how this fast action stick will like my 58 yo arthritic shouldered casting stroke?

The 6 wt Outbound oughta help some, that & a tailwind....

evil

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/13/16 04:42 PM

How about a casting project?

Wondering how this fast action stick will like my 58 yo arthritic shouldered casting stroke?

evil

My advise,... give it up now. Don't even try. Pass it on to you adopted little brother. grin

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/13/16 05:48 PM

I think even the lightest two handed rod is still a little tedious and tiresome for long bouts of single handed casting. That having been said, I've never spent time with anything lighter than a 7wt switch rod.

Personally I'd look for a fairly long single handed rod (10-10'6"?) with a weight forward line, even some of the switch lines like Rio's Switch Chucker cast well one handed. They don't strip or mend well though and so perhaps more traditional heads and tapers are better for this application. For multipurpose use I often over line my 10' 8wt with a 9wt switch line and am happy with this setup for swinging and single hand casting.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/16 08:41 AM

Fast action graphite rods are the bane of shoulders, elbows, and wrists that suffer from tendonitis, bursitis, and arthritis. Medium action rods are usually the most effective medication.

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/16 09:50 AM

The XP was considered fast back in the day. I'd consider it to be nearly medium fast compared to some of the fast stiff sticks that lack soul that are on the market today.

The rod he got is a good choice if he intends to use it for beach fishing.
Fishing the beaches involves making hundreds of casts per day sometimes over a 6-8 hour period while searching for the unicorn.

Nice looking bug by the way..... wink
SF

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/14/16 07:50 PM

Tied this up 2 of these this Saturday more AJ 3/0 should go well with the new rod I picked up about 2 months ago.. 14'3 7/8/9 CND Solstice
Matched up with either a Nextcast Winter Authority 55 7/8 or an older Airflo Steelhead Tactical 8

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 11/15/16 08:24 AM

Some nice flies there Luis. Keep tying like that and you're gonna' have to trade in your polyester buff for a genuine silk ascot!

Re: Tying Projects (Ironing the Ascot) - 03/16/17 09:07 AM

That's some good bait there, BU.