Wyoming Cutt-Slam

Posted by: Carcassman

Wyoming Cutt-Slam - 09/26/14 07:59 PM

Just got back from two weeks in western Wyoming. The fishing part centered on filling out the Cutt-Slam, whereby you catch four of the native cutties; the Colorado River, Bonneville, Snake River, and Yellowstone.

Started in Fish Creek, south and west ,of Big Piney. It is a small stream that was hammered by a fire four years ago. It looked like there had been no spawning since then n due to silt. We got 4 that were 11-12", no little ones.

Next day went to Smith Fork, in the Bear River watershed. Stream was bigger and cleaner. We got 5 there, from about 5-15.5". Mostly on dries but the biggest was on a little dropper.

Couple days later we floated the Snake. Lots of fish up to 16 and may have missed few larger. All on dries. Even got a few (including the biggest) where we cast to specifically rising fish.

Although we already had Yellowstones they were small. So, we went to Joffee Lake and hit a bonanza. Each got about 20, in the 10-12" range. They were accompanied by a few Brookies in the most amazing spawning colors I have ever seen.
Posted by: The Catcherman

Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam - 09/26/14 08:19 PM

Nice, this has been on my list of things to do for several years. I just don't put in on my calendar to do it...same thing with the Dean. But I hope to do both within the next couple of years.

Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam - 09/26/14 08:26 PM

It was fun. The streams, and where the fish hold, are different from what I am used to. Guess I am most familiar with streams with defined pools, rocks, and such. There was a lot of fish holding in seams, where faster water flowed by slower. Up to 7 different cuts, more to go!
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam - 09/27/14 01:02 PM

That's awesome - nice report Carcassman. Post some pics if you got em'.

Wyoming is crazy good. I implore you to check out the Wind River Range for your next trip out there. It's simply obscene with Cutties up to 5 - 6 pounds with some BIG Goldens and Brookies to boot.

IMO - High country fall Brookies in full spawning colors are probably the prettiest fish in North America.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam - 09/27/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
IMO - High country fall Brookies in full spawning colors are probably the prettiest fish in North America.

Had the pleasure of meeting some of those neon WY Brookies at an alpine lake before punching an elk tag. Wouldn't argue your point....

Re: Wyoming Cutt-Slam - 09/27/14 10:42 PM

I'd post some pics if I could figure it out. We'll be going back to try some more streams.