November

Posted by: stonefish

November - 11/08/14 09:11 PM

As much as I like October, November can be pretty fun as well. wink
Great topwater action on the canal today.
I recently started using topwater patterns tied on tubes and the take to hook-up ratio has really increased.
A few pics from today.
SF

Posted by: ColeyG

Re: November - 11/08/14 09:52 PM

Awesome! Thick, healthy, beautiful fish.
Posted by: Streamer

Re: November - 11/08/14 11:08 PM

Those are some beautiful looking cutts!

Good luck,

Streamer
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: November - 11/09/14 01:57 AM

Them's some fat cutts!
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: November - 11/09/14 12:02 PM

SON!!

Tell me King o' the surf is that top fish a hen & #2 a buck?
I'm looking @ the mouth & head & extrapolating out my steelhead identification protocols.

<< jumbo buck to yer left!

c/22
Posted by: Preston Singletary

Re: November - 11/09/14 05:15 PM

As is the case with many (most) salmonids, the length of the mouth is a good indication of sex. With females, the "fork" of the jaw (the point where the mandible and maxillary intersect) is usually at a point in front of or directly below the eye. In males the fork is usually behind the eye. In some cases, the jaws of the male are so long as to give rise to the nickname "alligators".
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: November - 11/09/14 09:38 PM

Nice fish Brian. Or a really small net.

Re: November - 11/09/14 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Preston Singletary
As is the case with many (most) salmonids, the length of the mouth is a good indication of sex. With females, the "fork" of the jaw (the point where the mandible and maxillary intersect) is usually at a point in front of or directly below the eye. In males the fork is usually behind the eye. In some cases, the jaws of the male are so long as to give rise to the nickname "alligators"

So thats a yes.

Re: November - 11/09/14 10:25 PM

Chromer,
Just a guess based on the shape of the mouth on each fish, I'd say from the top hen, buck, buck and hen.
The only thing that really matters to me is that they get busy and make some more cutts.
SF

Re: November - 11/09/14 10:59 PM

I agree. Top hen looking like a mini egg wagon.

Healthy looking fish.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: November - 11/10/14 12:24 AM

Yeah seriously dude, you need a bigger net. That's worse than long arming them wink

The spotted upper and lower maxillary/jawline on the first buck is super cool. Very unique fish.

Re: November - 11/10/14 01:31 AM

One other thing I forgot to mention.
A number of searuns I've caught in the past few weeks have had wounds on them.
Lots of gash type wounds. You can see a small one on the belly of the first fish just in front of the pelvic fins.
The eagles and ospreys have been getting their shots in but not sealing the deal.
SF

Re: November - 11/10/14 09:38 AM

Kinda like a old style floppy stinger hook.
Posted by: dwatkins

Re: November - 11/10/14 06:53 PM

your monthly updates are some of my favorite threads. keep it up
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: November - 11/12/14 11:57 AM

When I lived closer to the Sound, November and December were my favorite months for fishing searuns. Lots of big cutts in the mix this time of year.

Nice catches and pics, Stonefish.
Posted by: Mingo

Re: November - 11/12/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Yeah seriously dude, you need a bigger net. That's worse than long arming them wink

The spotted upper and lower maxillary/jawline on the first buck is super cool. Very unique fish.

what he said. Nicely done dude!