Piscifun Platte

Posted by: Anonymous

Piscifun Platte - 12/15/18 07:29 PM

Anyone ever try one of these reels?
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/16/18 11:04 AM

Never heard of it. So you have a link or more information on them?

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/16/18 02:11 PM

Reel reviews

I really have my eye on the Orvis,and will probably get one,but that Piscifun in blue will match perfectly with my Rainshadow Eternity2 blank.

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/16/18 04:54 PM

Another reel I am eyeballing at a higher price point is the Nautilus CCF X2 8/10. I plan on using this outfit for steelhead,striped bass in the Delta,and striped bass in the surf. And if I'm lucky,roosterfish!
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/17/18 09:07 AM

That's a very good price, especially for a saltwater reel. In conversations with saltwater anglers of long experience, the story is that all reels fail. Some fail sooner than others, and while price is not a perfect correlation, the most expensive ones tend to be on the side of lasting longer before failure. I noted that they all use saltwater reels costing $300 and up, especially favoring Nautilus, Galvin, and Abel.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/17/18 10:37 AM

Never fished a Piscifun, but have heard decent things about them.
I don't know anyone who personally owns one though.

I know and fish with quite a few folks who fish Nautilus reels and like them a lot.
They seem to really like the sealed drag and quality of the reels.

Only downside to a sealed drag is if it takes a [Bleeeeep!] on you, you can't service it yourself like you can an Abel, Tibor etc.
Trying to self service a sealed drag is like trying to fix the yolk of an egg without cracking the shell......
SF

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/17/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish

I know and fish with quite a few folks who fish Nautilus reels and like them a lot.

Only downside to a sealed drag is if it takes a [Bleeeeep!] on you, you can't service it yourself like you can an Abel, Tibor etc.
Trying to self service a sealed drag is like trying to fix the yolk of an egg without cracking the shell......
SF

Lol my eyes suck I don't service my reels myself anyway.

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/17/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: vapidangler

SF

Lol my eyes suck I don't service my reels myself anyway.

I hear ya.
My eyesite sucks as well.

My only point is, if you are in the middle of bum [Bleeeeep!] nowhere and your reel needs some attention, at least with a non sealed drag you can attempt to fix it.
Sealed drag....no go unless you have a replacement with you which 99.9% of the people won't and the one anal guy will.

Did I ever tell the story here about the new Orvis reel model I got that failed on a rather remote island in the Turks and Caicos?
First day the drag knob stopped turning. Second day the handle fell off while playing a bonefish......
Nothing better then being a beta tester for new products. grin
Luckily I brought a small screwdriver kit with me on the trip to get the thing working at least half assed.
SF
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/17/18 04:23 PM

Did I ever tell the story here about the new Orvis reel model I got that failed on a rather remote island in the Turks and Caicos? First day the drag knob stopped turning. Second day the handle fell off while playing a bonefish....

Did I tell you about the time the handle fell off my big game reel while playing a striped marlin?

Seriously sucked, it was an Okuma btw.
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/17/18 06:33 PM

You guys got some reel problems. Sounds like some reel therapy is needed. grin

Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/19/18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Did I tell you about the time the handle fell off my big game reel while playing a striped marlin?

Seriously sucked, it was an Okuma btw.

Sounds like fun!

Kinda like when the handle of a $800 Hatch reel sheered off on me as I was fighting an upper teens buck steelhead on the Hoh.

PITA but fun all at the same time!

Deserved me right for flinging bugs that day with Stam and Rooster......

Best part was I got ALL of it, from my initial calling that I'd get bit, the first false cast, indicator take down, to the landing on video. smile

Re: Piscifun Platte - 12/19/18 04:26 PM

Ok Hatch reel at $800 scratched off the list.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/03/19 03:38 PM

Billy Pate. The only salt reel you'll ever need. Now owned by Tibor, but they haven't changed a thing. Amazing reels.

https://www.tiborreel.com/billy-pate/

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/03/19 04:10 PM

Actually, the Billy Pate reels were always made by Ted Juracsik, who owns Tibor.
SF

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/03/19 05:11 PM

That Tibor signature looks sweet!

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/03/19 06:59 PM

I pretty much have it narrowed down to a Nautilus CCF x2 and a Galvan Grip 8.

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/04/19 08:52 AM

Haven't used the Grip but the four Torques I own have all been solid reels.
SF

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/05/19 12:41 AM

Haven't used the Grip but the four Torques I own have all been solid reels.
SF

Galvan is fairly local. I'm gonna put my hands on that and a nautilus 6/8 and see what suits my fancy. For 530 there had better be no start up inertia. If I'm ever lucky enough I wanna land a rooster on an 8 weight.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/05/19 05:30 AM

Actually, the Billy Pate reels were always made by Ted Juracsik, who owns Tibor.
SF

Huh, I knew TJ made BP's, but I didn't know he owned Tibor.

I've heard good things about the startup inertia on Einarsson Invictus reels, but they cost over a grand so....

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/05/19 08:43 AM

Good article about how Ted Juracsik started in the reel biz.
SF

https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/techniques/history-ted-juracsik-and-tibor-reels

Re: Piscifun Platte - 01/05/19 11:51 AM

That was a great read.