mini popper design for bluegill?

Posted by: thaxor

mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/09/19 06:20 PM

I live on a small lake (almost pond) that has prolific bluegill/perch populations.
Any recommendations on mini popper design for fish with small mouths?
As the carp have died off it's getting pretty overrun with weeds so I thought a popper would be great.

I'm not a great tier and don't know much about the fly materials/hook choices so specific info is appreciated.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/10/19 05:23 AM

Google “Foam Spider Fly”
Perfect for all types of panfish. Tie them in various colors.
SF
Posted by: NickD90

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/10/19 05:34 PM

Yup. Foam spiders and beetles. Super easy to tie and very durable. Buy craft foam from Michaels or Ben Franklin in 8x11 sheets. Fly shop foam is outrageous, as most things in fly shops tend to be...
Posted by: thaxor

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/15/19 03:40 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, found a bunch of youtube videos.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 06/05/19 02:20 PM

Fun fishing on a lazy afternoon.

I tie a simple pattern for panfish. Basically a #10-12 Pheasant Tail nymph with a partridge soft hackle at the front. Quick, easy tie. Just tie in 3-4 strands of pheasant tail, leaving half the shank length for a tail. Then, palmer (wrap) the pheasant tail fibers forward about 2/3 the length of the shank and tie off. Tie in a partridge hackle and wrap forward 3-4 times. Form head and whip finish. I doubt thread color matters.

I use a couple small split shot on the leader to take it down to the right depth fast. I've caught every spiny ray in the WDFW reg book on that silly thing.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 06/05/19 02:22 PM

Just saw you're fishing the weeds. Yeah. Use the popper pattern. Mine works best in a boat, casting toward shady, grassy shorelines.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/05/21 08:52 PM

Old thread, but what the hell.
Spring is here. I had good luck on these last year.
The theory is based on their design and shape, they won’t get swallowed and it makes releasing fish simple.
Super easy to tie even without the foam cutter.
SF

https://youtu.be/kn-ppVyOw00
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/06/21 04:05 PM

They're a hoot on a small fly rod.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: mini popper design for bluegill? - 04/07/21 09:34 AM

Sounds like a blast!
Thanks for bumping this back up lots of good stuff