Where's the best place to get replica mounts done

Posted by: Anonymous

Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 01/30/01 11:11 PM

Would like to know where is the best place to get a replica mount done. And how much does it cost.

I got a pair of monster Sea run cutts about 6 years ago that I took pics of and let go. I measured the length but never did the girth but have good pics. Im sure they could come close to the actual size with the pics.

Got em on a small river fishin for salmon.
Theese were two of the nicest cutts I ever seen. The buck was 25 5/8in. and the hen was 23 1/4in. . They were really nice once in a lifetime fish.

Id like to get the pair done together.

Any info would help.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 01/31/01 01:51 AM

Try David Campbell out of Tacoma or Jeff Lumsden of Still Life Taxidermy in Silver Lake(?) just south of Everett. Nice cutties
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 01/31/01 02:15 AM

Jeff Lumdsen's mailing adress is Everett but he is in the Silver Lake area.

I went to school with his son and having been to his house once or twice over the years he does EXCELLENT work and has won many awards.

------------------
Ryan S. Petzold
aka
Sparkey and/or Special
Posted by: T Wolf

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 01/31/01 11:28 AM

You might look into Blackwater Trading Company's offerings as well. He does fiberglass reproductions from photo's. I saw some of his work at the Puyallup show and was very impressed. Also being a huge cutt fan myself, I have seen one of his cutt reproductions and will definately have him build one for me. his number in Olympia is 253 584 2817 - Luke Filmer- I think he said he charges around $18 an inch.
T Wolf
Posted by: steelyhorn hunter

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 01/31/01 10:18 PM

Dave Campbell is without a doubt the best! You will not be disapointed, gaurenteed!! He's backed-up, and expensive but you are going to be looking at those two fish for along time so it's worth the wait and the extra money...
Posted by: salmontackler

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 02/01/01 12:37 AM

Rich G, I would love to see your pics of those fish. I stil haven't caught a searun over 21" and would be thrilled to see those fish.
Posted by: FISHNBRAD

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 02/01/01 02:44 PM

Rich G, I also had a chance to see the work from Blackwater trading Co at the show last weekend, some of the best work I've ever seen. the prices are $18/in for hand painted and $13/in for air brush, these are the prices quoted to me at the time, I don't know if they were show special prices or not. My next 20# + steelhead is going to pose for some pictures for this guy. I'm going with the hand painted. I really liked this guys work.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 02/01/01 05:10 PM

Rich G. Another place you may want to check out is Lyon & O'haver, their located in San Diego and they make the best reproductions I have seen. I had a king done by them a few years ago and everybody thats seen it comments on the excellent detail it has. They aren't cheap, cost me almost $1000 by the time everything was said and done, but I doubt I'll ever catch another fish like that, so it was worth it to me. A friend of mine had one done a year before by someone in Seattle which only cost him $450 and it looks like crap next to mine. If you would like to see some of there work, here is the address, http//www.lyonsandohaver@abac.com

[This message has been edited by AkKings (edited 02-02-2001).]
Posted by: FreeDrifter

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 02/02/01 05:21 PM

I would strongly suggest trying Rick Leach. He is located in Portland, OR. He too has won many awards. His work and scenerys are amazing. Give him a call, 503-256-0363.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 02/03/01 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the help. Made some phone calls and looks like its gonna cost me about 1,000 bucks from whoever does the work. Will let you know who I decide to go with.
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: Where's the best place to get replica mounts done - 02/04/01 03:46 PM

You know, I have yet to see a good reproduction of a chum in colors. I have pictures of a 24lb buck chum I caught a few years ago. I wanted to have a mount done, but even the "award winning" mounts looked like crap. One blue ribbon mount I saw at the Puyallup Fair a couple years ago looked like a green fish with airbrushed streaks. They looked like crap. I looked at the Blackwater mounts and wasn't impressed there either. Luckily I have a good picture of the fish, it has the most brilliant colors I've seen on a chum. If I'm gonna pay that type of money, I want a quality mount. If any of you have seen a decent Chum mount, let me know.
Thanks...

------------------
you haven't lived til you've rowed a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.