Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!!

Posted by: fishhead5

Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/03/01 07:00 PM

They are still netting the Chehalis 4 days a week, for the next 2 weeks. All for $.60 a lb. mad

Fishhead5
Posted by: potter

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/03/01 07:45 PM

it's a buck a pound.

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/03/01 07:47 PM

it's a buck a pound.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/03/01 08:58 PM

Is that supposed to be funny, potter? I don't see anything funny about it frown .

Sixty cents, a buck........it's all crap as far as I can see. Nice.
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/03/01 10:33 PM

mad Very Funny Potter. Sixty cents a pound isn't even worth getting your feet wet, but for a dollar a pound you'll kill every Goddamn fish in the state!

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/03/01 11:20 PM

Not trying to be funny but it's hard to read untruths and not reply. Do people just make this stuff up as they go? The price was never .60. It was .75 and went up to a buck 2 weeks ago.
Posted by: Vic

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/04/01 01:21 AM

Potter:

Thanks for making my point from another thread. These fish are worth a buck a pound to the Tribes and they are priceless to us. I think you and some of your friends should rethink your values!!! mad
Posted by: superfly

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/04/01 01:53 AM

This to me is ridiculous, the fish they are catching are all the upper chehalis river native stock, which is cand r for sportsman, like it should be. I was just looking at some catch statistics today and the number of fish that have been taken out of that area by the tribes is sick. I hope everyone can sit down someday together and come up with some kind of agreement to stop the senseless slaughter and get the fish runs back up to where they should be where more people will benefit from them.
Peace Superfly
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/04/01 03:13 AM

As I mentioned, we won't be getting into anything blatantly racist on this BB. Not all Native Americans are into the over harvest by gillnet of native steelhead to the detriment of present and future fish runs. But by circumstance of unfortunate interpretation of Treaties and improper over fishing past what those Treaties and Federal Court reviews of them allocated for, a group of people that happen to be Indians are taking unfair advantage of, and even breaking Treatiy laws with this wrongful gillnetting of nates! That is not racism, but realism! I'm just as opposed to whites or other races of people gillnetting nates. What could possibly be 'reverse' racism is this: it was never historic Indian tradition to over harvest the fish resources, but for some of them it is now - could this be about more than just a relatively small amount of money? Could it be partly a 'rub it in "whitey's" face' situation to be doing this because of what some white people's ancestors did in another lifetime?!? Sorry to have to say this, but by most accounts this seems probable. That's very unfortunate and counterproductive for all parties in the short and long run. I wish and hope for better sense to abate this scenario before it's too late. The Indian's can certainly get monetary compensation for not netting the nates. SO - why don't they?!? Is the answer in the above scenario, or is there something we are unaware of that we should know about? I want to know if my suspicions, and others, are wrong. And what can be done to resolve the issue! Potter? Anyone?

RT
Posted by: fishhead5

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/04/01 02:43 PM

Potter, a friend of mine was fishing down on the Quinault and thats what Frank told him. I figured the info was pretty good. Even at a buck a lb, I guess the question we all have a problem with is why? Money? Tradition? or just because you can. I don't get it. Give me one good reason and I'll go away.
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/04/01 11:50 PM

RT, Very well put! I especially agree with you on the issue of the tribal fishermen continueing to net natives just to"Rub it in whitey's face" as you say. I do not think that anything that is said about tribal fishermen on this site could be called "Racist" provided it is true. Besides, the Racism card is getting a little played out, if you ask me. If the tribes don't want everybody to hate them, then stop netting up all the fish. If they don't mind all of the negetive feedback that they get as a result of their unbridaled assault of our native runs, then by all means, net away. I just find it funny how tribal members get on this site, talk about tribal netting like its some nobel tradition to totally wipe out runs just in the name of selling the fish at Pike Place Market, then they act hurt and surprized when all the sport fishermen on this site are pissed off at them. These tribal guys have got to expect that us sporties aren't going to agree with them on this issue.
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 01:40 PM

Potter is just about as nice a lady as you would ever want to meet, plus offers us alot of insight and true information on Indian affair's, not to mention she can out fish most of men I know so I it goes back to what your parents told you boy's if you don't have something nice to say dont say anything at all. If you had the chance to fish with her you would understand what I'm trying to say so back off!!! PEACE mad

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 01:56 PM

Look FAST,

Nobody was bagging on potter personally, so save your lecture. I have no problem with potter, but I do have a problem with nets in the Chehalis and Natives being sold for a buck a pound, and I am damn well going to say I think it's crap. Don't like it? Too bad.
Posted by: Vic

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 02:10 PM

Fastwater:

I have been very vocal and hard on tribal fishermen on this board and want to make it clear that I don't have anything personal against Nativepride or Potter or any other Native American. I don't hate the tribes. I just hate what they do to our natural resources. I respect the tirbal members that post here. This is a hostile environment when it comes to Tribal issues and they have the guts to stand up for their beliefs.
Posted by: Osprey

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 02:28 PM

.....IMHO: I just don't understand the idea of netting wild runs of fish,
that the tribes are doing nothing to help the returns,
You Guys have you're own damn river with you're own damn hatcheries,So I guess when you're done netting the Chehalis toDEATH you'll still have you're own little private fishery going own frown
yet you give the same tired explanation as always "It's our right to " all you do is take, take, take and blame the sporty's for all the problems.....try being part of the solution not the EXTINCTION mad

All for a FREAKING Dollar a lbat least we know what you're Tradition&Heritage goes for now days

just my .02.....Os

: Message edited by: Duct Tape ]

[ 04-05-2001: Message edited by: Osprey ]

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 04:52 PM

Posted by: DriftWood

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 05:19 PM

While fishing the Nisqually last year during Chum season had an indian drift his net 5 feet in front of me and pull out 20 feet below me. When I thanked him for this,(in a resonably polite way) his reply was and "I'll do it every chance I get" Seems to me he was rubbing it in whiteys face. mad
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 05:49 PM

Had the same thing happen to me on the Green about 10 years ago. There were about 5 of us fishing the bank. I still have a sour taste in my mouth.... mad mad
Posted by: Oregon Fish Chaser

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 06:09 PM

Listen, there are good sport fisherman who care about the environment and the fish runs. There are also dishonest fishermen and snaggers out there who don't give a crap about anybody else besides bringing home some meat.

Its the same with tribal fishermen. Some of them care very deeply about the fish runs and the elk herds, and some don't give a **** about anything.

You can't group a bunch of people together and call them "tribal fishermen" and then extrapolate every misdeed you see onto the group as a whole.

Now when the tribes manipulate the law and regulations for their benfit, like exceeding treating allocations to the detriment of me (and other sport fishermen) then I will speak out against it. This is an organized effort to grab all they can from a shared resource, and everyone else gets crapped on. mad
Posted by: float'n'blade

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 07:03 PM

You guys are hillarious. Everytime I check the board, guys are ranting and raving about the Natives decimating runs, and how the evil Natives will be the end all of Wa streams.
Yet the sportys in your State still have a Wild steelhead kill! Get it together boys.... if Washington sportys cared so much about the fish(and I know some of you do), there would be no wild kill. The sport fisherman in your state have to get their own business in order first, and then lobby to have the nets removed. As long as there is a sport kill, you guys have no argument against the Natives that have a treaty right to harvest fish.

The Natives will always be an easy target to pick on, and their damage to the resource will always be overstated. The commercial harvest and open sea netting is the number 1 enemy of all sport fisherman. At least the in stream nets are somewhat selective(stream wise, not Hatch vs Wild).

I personally believe that the sport kill and the nets should be phased out. I also beleive that as long as the sport fisherman of WA State are killing wild Steelhead, they have no argument against the Indians. When you brand the Tribes as "they", or "you guys", and lump all NAtives into one group, remember that you yourself are also "they" and "you guys", as your lobby group is currently killing wild steelhead also.

Legalize It!
MWL

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 07:46 PM

First of all I want to say I have the utmost respect for Letty Potter. She always has the courage to enter these controversial threads with what she sees as facts, and presents them cordially. Thank you Letty. Many of her statements are correct, but some may be incorrect without her specific knowledge of what has repeatedly been reported on several fishing website BB's; such as what Bremelo and the agreeing poster mentioned happened to them by Indian netters on the rivers. And the guy from Chilliwack has not read closely enough the many posts within, such as mine, in which we specifically said "not all Native Americans" are into resouce overharvest, but many are. That's NOT grouping all Indian people together! Nor are the sportfishermen's complaints here about hook and line snaggers grouping all white people together as poachers. Get some open eyes and get real! And Chilly, you turned around hypocritically and grouped "all you Washington sportys" together as nate bonkers, which couldn't be further from the truth!!! Most of us release nates and would prefer a state reg for mandatory C&R only on native steelhead statewide, as it mostly is in Oregon (one or 2 exceptions if I remember correctly). The problem with that is apparently the idiotic management of the WDF&G is such that when sportfishers don't harvest a certain number of nates out on the OP then the Indian netters get to up their take!?! That is about as idiotic of reasoning as I have ever heard the human race mis-reason! You also said that commercial ocean and river harvest by whites is the main culprit in this problem. Let me inform you that those commercial catches are included along with sportfishers catches in the 50/50 Treaty split equations; and they don't target steelhead! Since the seeming intractable Indian netting is going to continue to take a large number of native steelhead then it's even more important for us sportsmen to C&R these fish to allow enough spawning escapement to occur. If the runs are deemed healthy then let's err on the side of keeping them that way, rather than promote more C&K bonking "or we'll allow the Indian netters to take even more of them"; thus allowing the Indians to go even further above the Treaty law's 50/50 split than they already are going over. That's insanity! mad Who in hell is at the bottom of this fiasco within the WDF&G?!? Someone up there find out and let us all know. Thanks.
Posted by: obsessed

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 08:12 PM

RT

WDFW does not believe that forgone opportunity would affect allocation issues; they're attorneys have stated as such. They believe (as I hope) that C&R is considered a fully utilized resource, which is the same as "harvest", hence the allocation numbers should be left alone. It is the Department of Interior and Department of Commerce attorneys (home of NMFS and U.S.FWS) that believe that foregone opportunity is valid and should be interpreted as "harvest, such that any fish in the stream that aren't killed by other user groups, go to the tribes.

I don't think forgone opportunity has been tested with steelhead; at least I haven't seen it come up on Puget Sound streams. But I do think there is reasonable legal standing to win this battle. WDFW thinks this issue is as big a headache as we do.

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 08:46 PM

Hey Canada Guy,

Do you personally set your seasons up there in B.C.? Well, here in Wa, State, we have a commission that sets seasons. So you can get off your high horse rolleyes

The VAST majority of the anglers on this BB would love to see a statewide C&R regulation in place on native steelhead. Unfortunately, the WDFW and some of our brethren around the state don't see it that way. They believe we should keep C&K regs in place until a run is depressed enough to close the season completely.

If you think you can change the seasons here in Washington to reflect your own personal feelings on the matter, then be my guest. Otherwise you can point that finger from north of the border at somebody else.

Your points about lumping tribal members together as one homogeneous people is correct, there are bad apples in every barrel. But if you think I'm going to listen to you say I can't complain about the netting going on in the Chehalis system right now because "my" WDFW Commission deemed C&K seasons appropriate, then you, sir, are mistaken.

I don't like the C&K seasons on wild steelhead and I like the commercial sale of wild steelhead even less, and I'll complain about both practices on this BB, to my elected officials, to the WDFW, and to the fish jockeys at Pike Place any time I feel like it because that's my right as an American. If it bothers you that much to read, then why not make life easy on yourself and stop reading it?

Fish on..........

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/05/01 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info Obsessed. I should have known that it was the Dept. of the Interior (Sec. Order # 3206) and the 'never fished before' guys in top power at the NMFS that were behind the idiom on the OP. Just like they are for the idiom of allowing the Columbia Indian Tribes to net over 10 times the number of springers than the sportfishers get; despite the sportys C&R on non-clipped fish, as opposed to the gillnet killing of all nates swimming into them! That's sure an indefensable way to stick to the Treaty and Federal Court review case mandates to split the fish, deemed harvestable, evenly at 50/50 between the Indians and non-Indians. rolleyes
Posted by: Timber

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/06/01 12:27 PM

CONQUERED NATION!!!!!!! No rights should be any different then ours..All Indians want to use our SSI,welfare..ect.But want to call themselves a "sovereign nation" Give me a frickin break..They want all the kickbacks from the government but think they should have different laws then the rest of us. rolleyes rolleyes Heritage I'll give that another rolleyes rolleyes
Posted by: Dances

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/06/01 02:30 PM

Hey TM
I know you have fished the Skok and out at hoodcanal. Now every time that I have been out there I have seen at least two or three nets in the river on the days when they are susposed to be out. I was jsut wounderin if you have ever noticed that two.

Now I am not sayin that all tribes are like that but it kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth after see in that. One more thing did the I dont mind that the natives net the rivers but come on using a motor to scare the fish into the nets only to keep the hens. I have seen the skok tribe net the king run and after they have sein the hole they through the bucks on the bank and leave them for dead.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I think that is kinda of Rubbing it in our face. Sayin we can take what ever we want.

About the Natives hunting when ever they want where ever they want. There used to be a few bull elk that roamed the skok vally but not any more thanks in part to the natives.

Hey the natives get to go after the hatchery fish and the nates so does that mean we get to go after the AAAAHHHHHHHHH Never MIND mad

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: danceswithfish ]
Posted by: Hey Yall Watch This

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/06/01 02:44 PM

he he he he, calm down Beavis.

The kid do have a way with words, don't he? wink
Posted by: Dances

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/06/01 03:10 PM

Hey_yall
Was that a compliment laugh
Your not going soft on us are you smile

This kinda Shi# really gets me worked up some times thats all. And I have some free time on my hands for once rolleyes
Posted by: float'n'blade

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/06/01 07:23 PM

RT,
My point was not to lump all WA anglers as killers of wild fish. The point I was trying to make (and I didn't do a good job of it) was, and is that as long as there is a Statewide kill on Wild Fish, it will be hard to remove the nets from the rivers.
I don't have any first hand knowledge of your States tribal netting so I shouldn't have offered an opinion on it. In BC, anglers tend to blame all bad fishing on the Natives, when in reality they cause the resource little harm here. It appears, from all your comments, that they are a more harmful usegroup in your State.

ML

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/06/01 08:45 PM

f'n'b,

That's not entirely true here, either. Our non-tribal commercial netters still catch the largest numbers of any user group, but what gets under our skin is that the tribes TARGET native steelhead, as evidenced by the netting still going on in the Chehalis system. This particular system had been C&R on natives for several years, so while we go about releasing native steelhead the tribes go about harvesting them for commercial sale at Pike Place Market.

The tribes get more heat than they probably deserve because the are the most visible user group. When you see a net being pulled that contians nothing but native steelhead, it gets one riled up. No more riled than seeing some lunkhead angler (especially guides) whack a nate, but riled nonetheless.

It's a heated topic in these parts, and this discussion is bound to lead to heated responses, but what do you expect? We're talking about the future of the sport we all love, there's bound to be passionate opinions on both sides.

Fish on.........
Posted by: Timber

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/07/01 03:36 AM

dwf-I have seen some weird $hit on the Skok also!For years now I have went out on the Skok and cut nets out that have been there for months and I watched them and seen they were not going to pull them so I cut them out.I have cut out gill nets in Feb.that had 50 chum heads(rotten) hanging out of the net.. mad mad mad What happens when a few steelie nates come by??NETTEDand they would just rot there..I called the game warden and he gave me the # to the tribal cops and guess what...NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT ITenuff rambling I could go on for hours about it..TM mad mad
Posted by: Ripalip

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/07/01 05:20 PM

I just wanted to say that I would love to go fishing with Potter on the reservation, were I can't go because I am a white man, and I would tell her that if those ****ing nets weren't in the river I could have caught a hell of a lot more fish on the upper Chehalis when I was a kid beating the river to death trying to learn to be a better fishermen. Just sharing the run of fish would be nice beside the fact that netting is a bunch of crap.

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/07/01 10:03 PM

potter, i bet you know how much they get because you probly guide on the weekends and gillnet durring the week, am i correct ?
Posted by: Bathtub Bob

Re: Still netting the Chehalis!!!!!! - 04/08/01 12:11 AM

WDFW web page in whats new section tribal schedule Chehalis river nets in 4 days a week untill april 12th Then they will start targeting springers too!!!!! Bathtub Bob