Washington Boat Tax?

Posted by: Skeins4Brains

Washington Boat Tax? - 04/09/01 08:53 PM

I recently moved to Vancouver from Oregon. My wife stopped by to register my boat and they said something about inspections and appraisals and TAX. Can anybody tell me more info and what is Taxed. Thanks
Posted by: sockeye

Re: Washington Boat Tax? - 04/10/01 08:10 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of sales tax. Anything you bring or buy in the state of washington is subject to sales tax except for food at a grocery store. So If you can prove what your boat and trailer is worth you will most likely not need an appraisal. The sales tax up here does what Oregons state tax does down there. There really is no getting around it. People from washington used to try to go buy a car/truck/boat down in oregon to get away from the sales tax but as soon as you try to liscense it here they nail you. You will also need tabs for it (like a car) but they're called boat tabs. Good luck!!
Posted by: LEADHEAD

Re: Washington Boat Tax? - 04/10/01 11:18 PM

Skeins..You'll need to get your boat and trailer inspected by State Patrol. All out of stated vehicles to be licensed or registered in Wa have to go though this. Then you get to pay sales tax and possibly an exise tax and a registration fee. Fun fun fun. At least the sales tax is 1 time only. Contact your county auditor's office and they can tell you how much the grand total is going to be. Sounds scary, but the sales tax is going to be the biggest expense.
It could be worse, you could be licensing all your cars too. Ooops, maybe you are.