measuring sturgeon?

Posted by: droptine

measuring sturgeon? - 06/06/01 09:28 PM

Hooked my biggest sturgeon to date yesterday on the Snake...63 inches. Yes, I boated it for the simple reason I couldn't figure out how to measure it in the water. I tried, and knew it was close, but just could not be sure. I have been told it's not good to boat oversize sturgeon, especially since with no bones it is probably hard on their organs, etc., but I'd really like some input on how to measure a borderline sturgeon without having to put the poor fellow in the boat. cool
Posted by: sam'n'bob

Re: measuring sturgeon? - 06/07/01 02:48 PM

I thought the snake was a c/r fishery only.
I place a mark at 42" and another one at 60" and filled in the gap with a red perment marker so i know if its in the zone,,, so far i've had 0 for 20 (est) in the zone but sooner or later the gods are bound to shed a glimmer.
Posted by: Hey Yall Watch This

Re: measuring sturgeon? - 06/07/01 03:22 PM

Droptine, Sam made a good suggestion, he just forgot to tell you to put it on a stick, that way you won't have to take the fish out of the water. Put a mark at 42" and a mark at 60" for the legals. Sure beats measuring with a dollar bill laugh
Posted by: tilla

Re: measuring sturgeon? - 06/07/01 11:42 PM

By the way, if the officials get picky, read the regs on how to measure a fish...on it's side. That goes for Sturgeon too! If it's gonna be close especially on the small side be careful, there is a 1/2 to 1 inch difference. Most people measure Surgeon with the belly down rolleyes