Lewis River Levels

Posted by: Hottamale1

Lewis River Levels - 06/15/01 07:56 PM

I am somewhat of a rookie on the Lewis River.

Last week we put in near the golf course and proceeded upstream. The water was in good shape and ample enough to Sled up & Down.

I don't know what the river level was at that time other than the launch ramp there had a gravel bar that extended downriver for 100+ yards before you head out into the river.

What is the "safest" level that river needs to be in order to run a sled? Comments???

Scott www.hottamaleoutdoorshow.com
Posted by: Gizmo Man

Re: Lewis River Levels - 06/16/01 03:00 AM

Scott: last weekend the flow was about 2400cfs. It is now 2200 according to the flow reports.

The gravel bar in front of the boat ramp is not the problem. It is the newer one up river just before you go into Johnson flats in the area referred to as the Happa Crusher.

I have not been on the river this yr in lower water, under 2000 cfs to check the area out.

It will be that area that is a problem if you do not hit the slot just right.

How did you do fishing last week????

Giz...
Posted by: Captain Hook

Re: Lewis River Levels - 06/16/01 03:19 AM

I consider 2800 CFS optimum, 2000 - 2200 CFS is OK, but be careful. At 1800 CFS I won't run my boat, but have friends who do. Usually they are OK, but they have broken their motor on at least one occasion running it at this level.
Posted by: Thumper

Re: Lewis River Levels - 06/16/01 07:36 AM

For those that may not have it, the phone number to use for the NF river levels is 800-547-1501. I use to run the river regularly down to 1500 cfs but it shallows now more below Johnson flats than it used to. 2500 is no sweat. The nice thing about the Lewis is that you can idle around --- no need to go balls out. That is why it is such a popular boondogging river. If you bump, do it at an idle. Bends less metal.
Posted by: Jeffhead

Re: Lewis River Levels - 06/16/01 12:19 PM

Scott,
Here is a link that will give the flows for the Lewis and a lot of other Washington rivers. http://wwwdwatcm.wr.usgs.gov/rt-cgi/gen_tbl_pg Hope this helps ya out!!
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff laugh laugh

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: Jeffhead ]