DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ??

Posted by: Anonymous

DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/12/01 07:05 PM

how many people here use downriggers ?? i dont mean this next question as a smart a$$ question but, could you catch salmon without them ??
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/12/01 07:22 PM

Back in the day, when I used to fish out in front of Shilshole Marina for Kings, we never used riggers. Just motor mooched. I don't know if we were any good or not, but 1-2 fish days were common in July/August. Not getting a King was more uncommon then getting one.

Now that I know a little more about the salt, I'd have a pair on my boat, as there are places and times where riggers will outfish anything else.

Like all fishing, use the *best* technique for the situation at hand. That applies for the salt as well as the rivers and lakes.
Posted by: salmontackler

Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/12/01 07:35 PM

http://balldraggers.com or http://droolers.com

both excellent sites.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/12/01 10:07 PM

Got my second Penn 600 yesterday. I am a firm believer of controlled depth fishing. Think of it this way, would you want your line near where the fish are, or do you just want to kind of guess (like the guy on the 'In-fisherman' show that says "That looks like a good spot over there!"). You can certainly catch fish when there are lots of fish around without a downrigger, like Shillshoal, but when you are targeting one or two blips on your finder that you see in a day, winter blackmouth, I'd go for the technology every time. They are also very helpful when targeting fish that hang out at specific depths, like sockeye. Fish them too deep or too shallow and you get no bites. Fish it right, and you have a blast.

I go fishing with the intention of bringing something back, and while downriggers don't guarantee it, they ceratinly increase my odds.

Andy
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/13/01 12:04 PM

Down riggers are a must in some fisheries.
1)Black mouth
2)Lk.Washington sockeye
3)Drano Lk. Steelhead !!!!!!!!
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: R Ridgeway

Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/14/01 01:17 AM

I would agree with strike zone for #1 and number 2# (I've not fished Drano so I don't have any experience) and would also add Coho fishing is Puget Sound. Coho at times are spread out or can change location quickly. By trolling with riggers I believe you expose your gear to more fish and get to look on the fishfinder to id fish location by covering a larger area. If the fish are concentrated around bait/structure then mooching/jigging can be extremely effective. Bottom line.....I catch far more fish per hour fishing Puget Sound coho with downriggers. I often put out surface rods while I troll but don't catch as many coho as with the riggers.
Posted by: SnagMagnet

Re: DO YOU USE DOWNRIGGERS ?? - 07/14/01 07:56 AM

Hey Strike Zone, If ya hook a Cannon 3 pounder in Drano it's mine rolleyes . If the lines wrapped around it and there's a fish attached, Keep the ball but I want the fish laugh . TIGHT LINES