Elliot Bay Opener

Posted by: Current Drifter

Elliot Bay Opener - 07/19/01 10:12 PM

Friend called and said tomorrow (Friday, July 20) opener is 1 minute after midnight, 12:01 AM - unlike previous openers which were at noon. I checked the regs and sure enough, it says 12:01 AM. Called a few other sources and they don't know. It's after hours now, so no use calling WDFW. Can anyone confirm that tomorrow's opener is 12:01 AM? confused
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/19/01 10:26 PM

Take a copy of the regs with you and you should be safe. You went with the published info at hand and if it is wrong, it it WDFW's responsibility to make us aware of misprints. Also check the WDFW website fishing page. Look under fishing regs and emergency rules changes. They have had "errata" pages as well that spell out the errors in printing. The only fishery that I am aware of that began or ended at noon was the Lake Washington sockeye fishery. All coastal fisheries, Sekiu for example, end and begin at midnight. Andy
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/20/01 11:23 AM

yep its true came out of the tunnel on the viaduct and man ol mann boats every where looks like a nice day to be out on the water but are there any fish?
Posted by: Schlab

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/20/01 12:59 PM

According to the Times yesterday, the Muckleshoot test fishery netted 100 kings and they said there were a lot of 'em milling around in the bay. It's a minus outgoing tide this morning, so that usually slows things down a bit, it'll be interesting to hear how it went. rolleyes
Posted by: B. Gray

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/20/01 01:00 PM

Yup, the flotilla had me drooling on my way to work this morning too. The bay looked like glass. We'll see about the fish. The paper Thursday said the Muckleshoot test fishery did OK and the Seacrest rats had been doing fair before the opener with one pierguy getting a 22# recently.

And here I sit in a windowless office....
Posted by: Current Drifter

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/22/01 09:31 AM

Thanks all for replies. Was there Friday at 4:30 AM. Not the flotilla of past years. Hooked one jack. Didn't see any other nets. Lots of bait (small). Fish checker said every 5th boat had a fish. Must have been in the dark. Saturday not much better. West Point was fun for catch 'n release (to 15#) though. Lots of bait. A couple of silvers. Going to wait till next week (an the traditional mid-August peak).
Posted by: Curt

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/22/01 02:30 PM

fished yesterday 7/21 got one 10# chinook and one shaker and that was it.good luck

FISH ON!!!
Posted by: Doug Kelly

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/23/01 01:11 PM

how long was the opener, drove by on the viaduct to day not a soul in sight? no one ?
Posted by: B. Gray

Re: Elliot Bay Opener - 07/23/01 01:52 PM

I think it's just a weekend show and they'll be doing more test fisheries during the weekdays to see if it's OK for the sporties. Check the WDFW site for details. This is just off the top of my head.

Bruce