Fall Chinook

Posted by: CRAVEN MOOREHEAD

Fall Chinook - 07/23/01 09:24 AM

With the first fall Chinook not far away from returning back to our favorite rivers I have a couple questions. First....what is everyones prefered color for fall kings? I tend to like rocket red with orange yarn with eggs....but I know its not a dominate choice. For a few years I have been picking up all the corkies, cheaters, etc. I find along the banks and take them home and toss them in a old glass milk bottle...makes for a very cool display and conversation piece.....anyone else do this? ...... Here's to a good fall fishery!
Posted by: heavyhawk06

Re: Fall Chinook - 07/23/01 12:19 PM

Call me crazy, but I swear by 1 medium-size watermelon colored corky with a half-inch of red yarn and a red #1 gammy. Most popular king colors on the rivers I fish are red, orange, and peach.

However, I think whatever color smacks them in the nose works the best laugh
Posted by: Dr Pepper

Re: Fall Chinook - 07/23/01 12:42 PM

Since I'm new to fishing I've never fished for Fall Chinook. I caught a couple springers though. I had the most luck on a piece of chartuese yarn and a small gob of eggs on a #1 red Gami. I hooked quite few but they always ran downstream into to rapids with a tree across and broke me off. Pretty sweet to feel the raw power of the Kings!

~ Dr Pepper
Posted by: willierower

Re: Fall Chinook - 07/23/01 03:53 PM

Fall chinook, Man I love those fish.
When I drift fish for the big fall boys I primarely use 3 corkie/spin-n-glo colors. Green and chartruse with the same colored yarn. Hot pink with cerise yarn, and Rocket red with chartruse yarn. Water color dictates what colors I use. Sometimes I dont even use a corkie or yarn, Just a nice big bait of eggs.
Eggs are my primary bait for fall nookers. Ive caught quite a few on sandshrimp also.