Floating the Cowlitz

Posted by: riverdog

Floating the Cowlitz - 07/28/01 03:04 PM

I am trying to find out what I need to know before floating the Cowlitz in my driftboat. I don't expect severe hazards but would be interested in specific advice about routes, hazards, tips, etc. With the low water levels I want to make sure there is enough to float safely and stay out of the way of bank fishermen. I know there are a lot of jets on the Cowlitz, and a lot of people. I have avoided fishing it in the past because I have heard it's not a great drift boat river but I would really like to get down and fish it. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Posted by: Yarf'em

Re: Floating the Cowlitz - 07/28/01 03:29 PM

Not much to it. Just watch you self where the sled's are concerned. The only rough water on the cowlitz is at blue creek at it ain't nothin to really worry about. Just watch the sled's and catch some fish... later
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: Floating the Cowlitz - 07/28/01 09:09 PM

Yeah, the only thing to worry about is the sleds.... If it weren't for the sleds, I'd feel comfortable saying that Helen Keller could float the Cowlitz. Good Luck
Posted by: riverdog

Re: Floating the Cowlitz - 07/28/01 09:16 PM

I take it the sleds coming up river through the channels and their wakes is the biggest problem. Is it just an inconvenience or worse?
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Floating the Cowlitz - 07/29/01 12:25 AM

dog,

Mostly just an inconvenience, and you won't see that many, other than between Blue Creek and Massey Bar. Even with the water low, there's still plenty for a db all along from the Barrier dam down to I-5. If you're into sidedrifting bait, the drift from the Barrier dam down to Massey Bar is a nice long drift.

To get to the Barrier dam, turn off of Hwy. 12 east at Salkum, and follow the signs. To get to Massey bar, turn right off Hwy. 12 eastbound at Jackson Hwy. and then turn left onto Buckley Rd. past the airport, and follow it to the end.

Good luck......