Fresh Crab Meat???????????

Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Fresh Crab Meat??????????? - 07/30/01 12:07 PM

Can any one tell me how to freeze fresh crab
meat?? Or is it not worth it.I was thinking
that I could put the freshly cooked and cracked crab meat into pint size jars and then use the jar attachment on my food saver
to seal the jar and freeze the meat to eat later on.In most cases the meat would probley
get eatin with in two months.Any help on this would be great.I know nothin is better than fresh,but my food saver is second best.
Thank you and Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
P.S. It's got to be better then the all ready cracked stuff from the grocery stores.
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Fresh Crab Meat??????????? - 07/30/01 12:18 PM

I have frozen crab still in the shells for a couple of weeks without any problem. vacuum sealing should work just fine. be carefull heating it back up again, if you cook it to long a second time it can get chewy. I like to melt some butter and throw in some fresh garlic and simmer it till it is warm.
Posted by: FSHN4FUN

Re: Fresh Crab Meat??????????? - 07/30/01 02:31 PM

MY WIFE AND I COOK THE WHOLE CRAB FOR 15 MINUTES; COOL, CLEAN AND GUT COOKED CRAB, CRACK AND SHELL THE MEAT, THEN USING FOOD SAVER, VACUUM PACK MEAT AND FREEZE. WE FIND THAT VACUUM SEALING MEAT PRESERVES THE MEAT VERY WELL FOR MONTHS. laugh

Re: Fresh Crab Meat??????????? - 07/30/01 05:45 PM

Fish4Fun,
Have you ever used the jars instead of the regular food saver bags??????.I think they would work just as good if not better with
less mess during the sealing process.Thanks
Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: Kramer

Re: Fresh Crab Meat??????????? - 07/31/01 04:38 PM

I have sealed and froze many bags of crab with my foodsaver and have been very successful with it. I haven't tried the jar technique probably because I never thought of that, and because the bag worked so well. The only thing I would worry about with the jar is that the meat may dry out from the air left in the jar.

Give it a try and let us know how well it works.

Re: Fresh Crab Meat??????????? - 07/31/01 07:14 PM

Thanks for the replies,I'll post back with results when I have them.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE