getting the lead out

Posted by: Northriver

getting the lead out - 08/16/01 05:36 PM

today I was going through my tackle box repainting wigglewarts and kwikfish when I opened up my weight box I started lookign over the weights that I had and the weights that I needed for trolling for the fall. After a while I started wondering isnt the lead we use for weights in rivers the same lead they use in shotgun shells you know the ones they banned from duck hunting because the lead was toxic and was bad for the fish in the rivers. Now if I am write this makes no sense considering most anglers run from 2-20 oz. of lead on most trips to the river. With my luck I am probably way off on this subject but it is something to think about
Posted by: Finegrain

Re: getting the lead out - 08/16/01 05:44 PM

I think the difference is that lead shot is likely to be ingested by critters that mistake it for seeds. Stomach acids then cause the lead to break down into the animal's system much quicker than if it is in a 1 oz to 10 lb hunk that sits at the bottom of a river or the ocean. It's not harmless that way either, though.

Regards.

Mike
Woodinville
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: getting the lead out - 08/16/01 06:01 PM

Most of the issues surrounding lead weights and shot has to do with the ingestion of the lead. Ducks, geese, swans, and other birds regularly take up small stones and pebbles when eating. These congregate in their digestive tract along with lead shot, and that is how these birds die from lead poisoning.

Allthough it would be quite interesting to see a cormorant ingest a 20 oz lead ball, USFWS's primary concern is with the use of splitshot type weights of 1 oz or less, but that won't stop some of the greenies there from trying to ban all lead.

I have used some of those no-lead weights, and they did work just fine, but I am uncertain how a 4 oz pyramid weight would be detrimental to the wildlife in the area, as lead is a relatively stable metal, unlike steel or copper. That said, if anyone has more info, I would be happy to learn.

Andy
Posted by: Northriver

Re: getting the lead out - 08/16/01 06:18 PM

I thought there was something in the lead such as a chemical that would harm fish. Any other theories
Posted by: Finegrain

Re: getting the lead out - 08/16/01 06:40 PM

Lead is often alloyed with antimony, to give it some rigidity. However, the antimony isn't particularly toxic.
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 02:38 AM

Many states have banned the use of lead as their fisheries don't rely on heavy use of lead weights as do our steelhead/salmon fisheries. Many of these laws have been passed in states trying to protect Blue Ribbon trout streams that provide destination fisheries and large amounts of money into the local economies. Flyfishers arent going to throw a big tissy fit about not being able to use lead as there are many lead shot subsitutes.

Someday down the road Wa. will be next.
Posted by: flickyourjig

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 03:19 AM

My 20lb. piramid anchor was reduced to 12lb. in 4 yrs. Where did the lead go? FYI!
Posted by: Keta

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 03:31 AM

Dogfish is right about birds taking in small gravel. It is used in their gizzard to grind their food. Along with small stones waterfowl are more likely to pick up shot from the bottoms of ponds and puddles.
The ifo I have on lead weights lost by fishermen says this is not a problem. Here is a link to an article on the subject.
http://www.sioutdoors.com/2001/leadtackle051901.html
Posted by: Krome Brite

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 02:11 PM

Hey, do any of you guys wash your hands after handling exposed lead products? I usually do later after I'm done fishing. The reason I'm asking is that there's a precaution on most lead fishing products and other lead based products saying something like "lead is known to cause birth defects in the state of California." It also says to wash your hands immediately after handling. I have eaten food shortly after handling lead and have also took a p*** shortly after without washing my hands first. Am I all ****** up now or is this just a bunch of bs? I know that your not supposed to ingest lead rolleyes, but what about the situation I just described?
Posted by: 'Head hunter

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 02:48 PM

Too late to worry about it,its already gotten to your brains... :p :p wink
Posted by: GutZ

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 03:11 PM

ah bin fisin wid led ma who lif. it ain had no fect on me. i also m cnlmaker use led wik in them 2 no fect.

wink GutZ
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: getting the lead out - 08/17/01 03:15 PM

K.B. , Maybe a little lead in your "pencil" would be a good thing.

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 05:37 PM

Dammit gys I'm serius! Ah want to no if I m rong to knot warsh mi hands b4 I eet or pi$$? Kant sombodi till mi if I m b'ing saaf? rolleyes confused
Posted by: cowlitzfisherman

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 07:35 PM

You guys are just to much!!!!!!!!!

Now u jut mea sain gust shuttttt

Cowlitzfisherman

is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the bait???? eek

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 07:41 PM

What Cowlitz, speak in English please. :p
Posted by: RipDatLip

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 08:56 PM

Kromy, you are correct to wash your hands. I have also heard that lead can enter your system through your skin and get into your blood. Hence, the term "blood poisoning". I wouldn't worry about a little lead, but if your working with it all the time then you might consider gloves. Just my thoughts.

Matt

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 09:11 PM

Krome Brite

Don't yuo anderstund antitthing?
I sayid "Now u jut mea sain gust shuttttt"
maba you beena eatin to muhiee lead!

Cowlitzfisherman

smile smile eek

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 10:25 PM

Alright, so I'm probably fine. I don't handle lead every day. Ushali. confused But, what I still don't get is what Cowlitz is trying to say? 'Now you just mean saying ghost sh!t'? Is that it? That's what it looks like, but I don't get the joke. Someone enlighten me.

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 11:02 PM

Krome Brite

Joke...What joke??
thut cuntree you bone end?

Re: getting the lead out - 08/19/01 11:57 PM

I was born in the good old US of A, sammy. Where were you born, Mr. Commy! eek Just Kidding.

Dude, I am still confused. confused
Posted by: Dr Pepper

Re: getting the lead out - 08/20/01 12:10 AM

Krome,

The lead only causes cancer in California so we are ok up here in Washington laugh.

~ Dr Pepper
Posted by: HntnFsh

Re: getting the lead out - 08/20/01 12:57 PM

I think I would be more concerned about the fumes your breathing when you are next to somebody that has ingested lead and they pass gas. Really though If you pour sinkers or jigs I would want to be dam sure you have good ventilation cause the fumes can get pretty nasty.I'm sure their not too healthy for you. Also if your washing your hands after handling lead.You might want to consider buying a whole lot more soap.What about all the goodies in your gas and oil.I'm sure that will absorb through your skin a lot faster than a little lead.I think if you paid attention to the stuff you were handling all day you would be mighty surprised how much of it could be detrimental to your health. How many guys you see crimp their splitshot with their teeth. I'm surprised our riverbanks aren't covered with bodies of people dying from lead poisoning. Maybe they just haven't ingested enough yet. O.k. guys eat up. we could use the extra room on the river bank.

Re: getting the lead out - 08/20/01 12:58 PM

Yeah, ya got a point there, Pepper. You too HntnFsh. laugh

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]
Posted by: RipDatLip

Re: getting the lead out - 08/21/01 12:25 AM

I put lead in my mouth every once in awhile. No I don't suck on it, but only hold it between my teeth. I am not worried if I only do that once or twice a week, but if I did it evry day, then I would be worried. I believe it is the lead in volume that kills. Is that correct?

Matt

Re: getting the lead out - 08/21/01 01:17 PM

Lead in volume kills, but in small amounts it can still be damaging to your body. Personally, I wouldn't stick split shot or any other lead weight in my mouth because of the dust present on it's surface.

Here's a couple sites that I found that explain the risk of being indirectly/directly exposed to lead.

How Lead Enters and Affects Our Bodies

AND

Lead and Your Health