[Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound?

Posted by: A Moochin' Man

[Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/28/01 09:36 PM

Hi,

After a trip to Whidbey for sea-run cutts, I got to wondering whether Coho will take flies out in the salt, e.g., on possession, off bush point, or anywhere they're rollin'?

I'm thinking of trying a weight-forward, sinking line with one of my sea-run cutt patterns.

Has anyone any experience they might want to share?

Take care,
Posted by: rainycity

Re: [Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/28/01 10:05 PM

Absolutely they will..
Take a fly rod out trolling with you and just try bouncing a fly ascross the top of the water for something to do..
Posted by: NUTS FOR LOOMIS

Re: [Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/28/01 10:09 PM

HEY, MOOCHING MAN I'VE BEEN FLYFISHING FOR SILVERS OFF OF POINT NO POINT FOR FOUR YEARS.WHEN THE FISH ARE IN IT CAN BE GREAT FISHING.I USE A 9 FT. 8 WEIGHT ST.CROIX, MEDIUM TO FAST SINK TIP CORTLIN BRAND.PINK &WHITE OR GREEN & WHITE CLOUSER WITH LEAD EYES.WHITE,GREEN& PINK SHRIMP PATTERNS WORK VERY WELL TO.ONCE & A WHILE YOU CAN GET KINGS.ITS WORTH THE TIME & MONEY.NUTS
Posted by: A Moochin' Man

Re: [Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/28/01 10:45 PM

Cool. I'm so there...

Take care,
Posted by: JasonS

Re: [Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/29/01 01:44 PM

There is a guy I met at the Port Orchard boat ramp yesterday when I was pulling my boat out that guides the sound fly fishing only. He was chasing Silvers in Sinclair inlet and said the day before he had gotten several 6#ers. He was from a 253 area code.

Jason
Posted by: Chip Goodhue

Re: [Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/29/01 02:15 PM

Moochin - Eglon boat launch, half way between Kingston and Point No Point - Excellent fly fishing for silvers - Can either wade or float tube (take a small downrigger ball and twine for an anchor), or canoe. Best fishing is about 300 yards south of the launch. My experience is that there are always fish there in the AM this time of year - tide doesn't seem to matter. Unlike PNP, you will find mostly bug tossers here - Candlefish imitations work best.

Chip
Posted by: salmontackler

Re: [Q] Fly Fishing In Puget Sound? - 08/30/01 03:24 AM

Flyfishing for Coho in the Salt is by far my favorite fishery in the NW!! Put the bait down and give it a shot, find the right spot and you will catch more fishing casting flies than anyone fishing any other method. I know many are calling BS, but if you know the spots and are fishing from a boat it is no joke.