Hatchery Silvers

Posted by: Anonymous

Hatchery Silvers - 09/03/01 01:33 AM

I'm running about 33% adipose fin intact in the Quil River. This is an all hatchey run that should be all fin clipped. This has some serious catch implications on silver fisheries in the straits and off the coast.
Anyone finding the same on other hatchery runs?
Posted by: StorminN

Re: Hatchery Silvers - 09/03/01 11:35 AM

And I was wondering why we had to catch 50 to keep 10 clipped ones on the salt...

-N.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Hatchery Silvers - 09/04/01 12:55 AM

Stormin from what I've heard in some cases it's been a hundred to find 10. Then you hear reports about having to get your gear down thru the wild silvers to reach the clipped silvers. That doesn't make sense at all. Granted that individual stocks have some unique behavioral characteristics...I just find it hard to believe that there is some kind of depth seperation between wild and hatchery silvers. rolleyes As a fisheries biologist I find that really hard to believe.

Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh
Posted by: JR32

Re: Hatchery Silvers - 09/04/01 02:20 AM

I have fished the Quile and talked to some hatchery workers while I was there. These workers told me that the unmarked fish were being used to see how well a selective fishery would work. These unmarked fish were simply a test to check the survival rate of released wild fish
Posted by: PiperFLA

Re: Hatchery Silvers - 09/04/01 09:46 AM

gooose,
The Port Gable silvers are running about 20 percent unclipped. So far the few that we have caught with intact adipose have had tags in there head, and none of the clipped fish have tags. Go figure that one out.