KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED?

Posted by: DRIFT BEGINNER

KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/13/01 10:14 PM

Just wondering if any one has any info on the big bust on the kalama down at the R.V. park. The info i got was the wardens were down their writing tickets left and right. If this did happen im glad, i have drove over their a few times and could not fathom what was going on. They were all their just snagging like crazy not hiding it a bit. I hope that if this is true that the gammies continue to make a strong presence. I know it isnt going to stop the snaggers but i hope they are nervious as eek when their down their doing their deeds.
Anyway enough from me good luck and good fishing drift beginner smile
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/13/01 11:07 PM

Yes they had a field day 350$ a pop hopefully it is a more than once show!!!
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/14/01 04:23 PM

I hope this is true. If so, it's excellent!!! I was down there yesterday (9/13) just to observe and it was a major snag fest. There was probably a hundred "anglers", all of them snagging. If the WDFW can clear those guys out of there, the catch rate upstream will improve considerably. My thoughts are that with those guys there, the fish are harrassed to the point where they won't bite as they move upstream. But maybe that's just an excuse since I've been skunked the last couple times out. But nonetheless, it's good to hear they got busted. laugh
Posted by: FISHNBRAD

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/14/01 05:03 PM

Please be true, something gotta happen, illegal fishing and poaching is getting way our of control. Makes me sick!!!!

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/15/01 12:22 AM

Well went for a drive with my wife today up to the toutle to see if any silvers were in yet, well the only thing i seen was a bunch of snaggers hooking fish in the ast. My wife was even irritated at their blatent actions. They were just casting and jerking, reeling in the slack after the jerk and jerking again. What frustration i wanted to say something but all it would have done was cause a fight, and lord knows i really don't need any more of that kind of trouble eek. Anyway we left its sad to see that the silvers are not even their yet and their already at it. I guess what their doing is getting their practice on the chinooks before the coho show. DRIHT BEGINNER
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/15/01 01:36 AM

Another hotbed of lowbrow snaggers! Not putting the complainers down but do you' all have any suggestions that are legal? There 's a place to do this if you didn't notice? One of the things we need is to identify the time and place of snagfests so as best apply our assets now and in the future! We all have choices 1) whine but do nothing or 2) join the new school of chromers who are lookin to do something. Hey your choice...but why whine on this board if you're only a whiner? rolleyes Those who want to just whine ...hey this isn't my board and it's a free country. Peace.

Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh
Posted by: Gregor

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/15/01 01:47 AM

For those of you that don't know. There is a toll free hotline that you can call to report illegal activities that you see. You can also fill out a incident report form online.

1-800-477-6224

STOP WASHINGTON POACHERS

I encorage those that witness this illegal activity to report it each time they see it happen. This will alert the WDFG to the problem so that an enforcement action can be taken. If it can't happen immediately because of resources, it will happen eventually at that location, if more people report on the activity that they are seeing. An added bonus of this would be that a database is then amased on the problem. WDFG then has the data to back up the request for more funds for enforcement from the legislature when the time comes.

You are the stewards, it's your resource.
Time to be active, not passive.

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Gregor ]
Posted by: NW_rvrbank_Babe

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/16/01 08:28 AM

My question is, "What is the sport in snagging?" It is out of control at the RV hole. Drove by yesterday, 5/15 and it was elbow to elbow.
And yes cohoangler, the fish are spooked by the time they reach us up here. Ive seen a few that have bit eggs, but its sad when you land a beautiful 10-15 lb. Silver and it has 3-5 corkies in its arse.
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/16/01 07:11 PM

That's odd that people would be snagging on the Toutle...... Those fish are good biters! You don't even have to "line" them. I've always used straight eggs and had very good results. It's not like those fish are lock jawed.
Posted by: Krome Brite

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/16/01 09:47 PM

Toutle fish-not lockjawed? For me they are. You just use eggs, no corky? cool
Posted by: fishysmell'n

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/16/01 10:09 PM

Was at the meat hole at the lewis, and the RV park on the kalama. What a zoo, seen someone on the johnson creek side get busted for something. the toutle river fish are not lock-jawed they were busting hard around 2-3:00 pm today. I got two myself after an hour or so. laugh

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/17/01 12:33 AM

No $hit, fishysmell'n? The silvers are in? I just told somebody else they weren't in, since that's what everybody else has been sayin' lately.
Posted by: fred evans

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/17/01 08:47 PM

On the snagging issue lived in Washington State for many years and saw few game wardens. Here in Oregon the Oregon State Police do the game checks with very few wardens. Lots of Police at the end of a 911 call. And I can guarentee they will come ... now!

"Hatchery Hole" at top end of Rogue was a total zoo (hence real name of "zoo hole." OSP isued 162 $300 tickets in 30 days;more if you count the just fishing in closed waters. ($300 if you hooked beached an illg. fish) When you involve the local police (empower them with game duties) you'll see a lot less snagging.

Something about a 6'2" 200# uniformed officer get these folks attention.
fe

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/17/01 08:59 PM

Wow! Very interesting little tidbit.

By the way, welcome to the board, Fred. smile

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/17/01 10:07 PM

For those of you not sure if anything will happen if you call in or e-mail your complaints to WDF I am posting this in hopes of encouraging you to continue to call or e-mail in about illegal activities that you may see taking place. The following is an e-mail sent to WDF:

I have been fishing the Skokomish River quite regularly and I have seen numerous fisher persons blatantly snagging King salmon. Most of these snaggers are using a double barbed hook in a barbless restricted area, most are taking more than a one fish limit and don't seem to have any regards for restrictions on the Purdy creek closed area. This activity is taking place all up and down the river and is not restricted to any one area.

I realize that Mason county is not your area however, if you could relay this information to the responsible officer in charge I feel he could do some good in that area. I would be glad to e-mail to him direct if I had his address.

Thank you for your time.

Mark

Here is the reply:

Mark,
I'll be seeing the Sergeant tomorrow and I'm going to work the river in the morning. I've had friends tell me there is a lot of snagging being done on the tribal side by young tribal kids, but it sounds like you're talking about adults. Get back to me and I'll tell you what I found.
Steve

Here is my thank you back:

Steve, thank you for taking the time to hear me out and to respond by working my complaint. I appreciate your efforts and I would be interested in the outcome.
A friend here at work fishes the Nisqually regularly and he mentioned an increase of enforcement presence by your department and by the M.P.'s from Fort Lewis. Thanks again for your efforts.

Mark

Here is the report back from WDF with the results on the long Labor day weekend:

Mark,
We worked the river for two days last week. We issued a total of 29 citations and took one subject to jail. Most of the cases were for snagging and over possession of salmon. We have started to work the Nisqually and Mcallister Creek. I'll keep you updated as you request the updates.
Steve De Miero

The system does work and I encourage you to take the time to report and follow up. I feel that an honest e-mail will do more than a phone call. You can usually get the address of the agent in charge if you ask for it. If we all work together we can make the system work better by getting the information reported to Enforcement. They are just like police men who go on tips everyday to catch the bad guys. Help them out by sending your complaint in.
Posted by: fishkisser99

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/18/01 12:03 AM

Nicely done, Skaguy. One of the best posts I've read on the issue yet. And I plan to follow suit.
Posted by: bronc

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/19/01 04:04 AM

i think under certain coditions snagging should be legal ! no commercial fishery on the columbia. the wfg has there weir in to get there qouta .the public should be allowed to harvest the surplus. i,m sure there are many familys on mineum wage that would love to have a a few chinook in the freezer . especisaly in a year like this . bronc laugh

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/19/01 03:41 PM

Bronc - You asked whether the public should be allowed to harvest excess salmon returning to the hatcheries. They can and they are welcome to harvest to the limit allowed by the regs. The harvest method allowed by law is called fishing. Not snagging. Snagging these fish is illegal and it should remain as such.

It is my view that snagging reduces the overall harvest because these fish are harrassed to the point where they won't hit for legitimate anglers. So, if we want to maximize the harvest rate on hatchery stocks to reduce the excess, I suggest a strong crackdown on snagging. Legalizing it would only make the problem, and the fishing, worse.

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/19/01 04:25 PM

snagging has been prevalent on wa, rivers since i been around . an as long as nets are allowed in the river . i dont see any reason why snaging. can not be legalized . an as far as diminishing the runs thats a moot question . not caused by snaging . hey good source revenue for the burura crats . i wonder if they checked the snagers for use permits lol . laugh bronc laugh
Posted by: willierower

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/19/01 11:54 PM

I stopped in at the RV hole on the Kalama today to see what was going on.The snaggers were still at it. I couldnt believe what some of the people were using. I saw more than ne guy using treble hooks and lead. The WDFW should close the Kalama from the Mouth to the temporary wier from Sept 1st through Nov 30th, That would put a stop to the snaggers.
cohoangler,
Dont feell bad about getting skunked on the Kalama. I fished it sunday, monday and tuesday. I didnt hook anything but a ast chinook. The silvers are there, and there is a bunch of them, They just wont bite after getting raked on down below.

Whats up with all the people using 10'+ long leaders on N.F. Lewis? 2 small beads and a big hook on a looong leader..... Can you say flosser?

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/19/01 11:59 PM

Bronc,
I see from your profile that your intrests are in fishing not snagging. However after reading your opinion and thoughts posted here I am left wondering. Help me out......is it fishing or snagging? confused

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/20/01 12:05 AM

I just want to reply to the last post, not only are they getting harrassed at the R.V. hole they are also getting the same from the fly fisherman. I went and watched the other day and the fish were getting snagged to death. I know the fish cops are aware of the problem lets just hope that they can do something about it like raise fines eek .
I would also like to comment about legalizing snagging, what an ignorant thing to say ......

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/20/01 12:31 AM

Drift,
Keep the pressure on Enforcement and talk to your friends or the guys that you meet on the river. Give out the phone numbers and e-mail contacts to those that are going to listen and encourage them to make those calls. A good place to start is take note of the guys on this page who fish the Kalama and get them to petition the department with e-mails and phone calls. Set your own SNAG-NET and put the pressure to these guys. mad

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/20/01 12:45 AM

Quite simple...Snaggers Are Poachers! They are no better than those who spotlight deer at night or take twice as many as allowed fish or game! They are thieves to our sporting heritage and they may be endangering its future! They have no connection with or respect for our natural resources other than sheer primordial gluttony....they are like a pack of dogs that chase deer... their only interest is the slaughter. They have excuses such as the fish don't bite...well sorry but they do sufficiently enough for me to catch and keep my daily legal limit legally if I really wanted that many fish in the freezer. And have these poachers even tried to be legal...no they're just to lazy or inept to be sportsman. I keep what I only need regardless of hatchery/wild origin and enjoy being a sportsman while I'm at it. What morals or ethics does a snagger have? They certainly don't practice any measure of courtesy around others. They just bust in on those of us who are there to be legal sportsman enjoying the pleasures of what its all about. No respect for anything or anyone.
As for the excess fish left to die and rot in the river get a clue. What do you think it was like before hatcheries?
Same amount of dead rotting fish and guess what ...healthy runs. So using the excuse that the hatchery got its fish is stupidity at its best. Those fish create food for fry and smolts and in drought years like this may just help the runs to survive so we can fish them when they return! Gawd I really hate preachin the facts to the ignorant but its time to start educating these guys and if that fails then look at the legislature to pass a 2 strikes you lose for lifetime all fishing privelege law.

SNAGGERS ARE POACHERS! mad
SNAGGER FREE ZONE! cool

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn! PS and legal too!
Gooose
laugh

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/20/01 03:39 PM

SKA GUY I been fishing these rivers for a long time . an although i never practiced snagging . i always felt it should be legalized . you know the expert snaggers could . write a book , fine art of snagging i know the true blue sportmans would neverrr keep a foul hooked fish mercy. i notice the absence of beer cans an bait cartons an litter where snaggers frequent.an once a fish see the size of a snaggers hook , fishy gets lock jaw. thus preserveing his specie laugh bronc

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/20/01 03:39 PM

Willierower - I fished the lower Kalama this morning (9/20) and picked up a 10lb hen (on a spinner) but the snaggers were out in force again. I am going to petition the WDFW to make the lower Kalama from the I-5 bridge upstream to the deadline at the fish trap a "flies only" section. I wouldn't want it closed entirely since it is a nice stretch, particularly between Rainbow Park and the Green Barn Hole. But the current situation is totally out of control.

Good luck on the water. <@)(((><.
Posted by: HntnFsh

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/20/01 08:13 PM

I realize that snagging can put fish off the bite.But any of you people that spend time on a river know that a lot of legitimate fishing does also
I have seen more times than I wish to remeber the last few years.When you get to a hole,the fish are biting good.Then the boats come in.Beat a hole to death and it isnt long before you can't get those fish to bite anything
When you have 20 or so guides and at least that many privates running their sleds on the river it knocks those fish down so bad its pathetic confused

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/21/01 01:10 AM

Bronc I've spent a long amount of my years on the rivers too and yeah snaggers(poachers) have always been there. You say snagging should be legalized. Why? I'd like to hear your justifications? Any any given river and hole absent of a snagging zoo I am capable of getting my limit of even 6 fish by legal means if I wanted to kill that many so there goes that justification.
If you feel the fish are going to waste because I can only harvest 6 per day and the run is huge then make the limit 12 fish by legal means. if I want those fish I'll be able to do it absent a snaggng zoo! Sh!t raise the limit to 24 and absent a snagging zoo I'll fill the freezer by legal means. So therer goes that justification!
The fish are goin to waste once the hatchery and wild escapement needs are met ? Well this years brood is goin to suffer due to the drought and even before we walked the banks mother nature provided a backup system. Huge excess runs of fish unharvested mean huge amounts of nutrients which lead to more prey(insects,etc.) in the rivers and estuaries for downstream migrant fry and smolts. The nutrients from these fish also help support critters in the salt such as crab, shrimp, rockfish and on and on. This might save this years production so we can fish them in the coming years. Bronc do you have the clue yet? What? No? Then what about teaching a generation of youngsters that snagging is cool? Hey then turn them loose on some wild stocks that are either already
listed by the feds or in danger of listing!
Hey let's let PETA and such groups film these snagfests and present them for what they really are...bye bye sport fishing!
So they can write a book...so what...so can common thieves. As for the garbage reference well I suspect that your claims of having been around is suspect as my crdentials include all of the rivers in Puget Sound, Willapa Bay and Grays Harbor and yes I'll admit that the stupid legal fisherman can be slobs as far as litter but I've noticed no differnce in littering between slob fisherman and slob poachers. A littering slob is a littering slob and in reality this genetic trait crosses all class lines. So Bronc or anyone else please try to come up with reasons to allow snagging? But plese at least try to support them with facts and justifications? Oh by the way...Peace Dudes!

Snaggers Are Poachers! mad
Snagger Free Zone! cool
Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!

Gooose laugh

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/21/01 01:46 AM

Bronc

I know that we will never see eye to eye on this one, when it's all gone, it's gone. Like Goose said nature takes care and provides a way to remedy the situation. I for one don't want to see an entire generation make the mistakes that ours is making now.
I know that we can do better than that by teaching the coming generations that the mistakes we made are not the norm.
We can do better right? If not, then it's all for naught.

frown EXTINCTION isn't STEWARDSHIP < )>><
Posted by: Land Tuna

Re: KALAMA SNAGGERS BUSTED? - 09/21/01 11:08 AM

Snagging goes on and on, generation after generation, Father teaching son, son teaching his son.
Education in our schools is the the only way to stop this BS. If kids are taught true conservation then there is a good chance that peer presure will win out over daddy bragging at the dinner table about all the salmon he snagged on the way home from the saloon.
I think it's time for all sportsmen to unite and push our state reps to get our fish & game way more money for enforcement and for some mandatory conservation classes in our schools.
If anyone can vidio this mass snagging on a few rivers I will put a program together to present in Olympia.