Help! My monitor is dying!!

Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Help! My monitor is dying!! - 09/24/01 08:03 PM

Not exactly a fishing topic, but one that pertains to my access of the board. My monitor seems to be going tits up. The screen is shrinking, I have big black areas on the margin and it is flickering. Looks like the tube may be going out. Any advice on the best place to get a new one for a reasonable price...used ones?
Posted by: Murff

Re: Help! My monitor is dying!! - 09/24/01 10:48 PM

Try www.zones.com, llok for the clearance site. Had some refurb 15" monitors for about $50.00.
Posted by: StorminN

Re: Help! My monitor is dying!! - 09/25/01 01:02 AM

Zones is a good place for a new one, (that's where I would go), but if you're looking for a used one, try Boeing Surplus in Kent, they usually have a good supply of 17" to 21" used monitors for $35.

If you know enough about electronics not to kill yourself, you could take the monitor apart. DON'T try it if you don't know enough, because you can KILL YOURSELF... no kidding... high voltage and big capacitors hurt, & can stop your heart.

Usually the problem you describe is a problem with the power supply board, look on the back side of the circuit board (the side without the components on it) if you're lucky, you'll see a discolored, maybe burned area. If you're really lucky, you'll find a solder joint in or around that area that isn't completely smooth, but has a small circular or semi-circular crack in it, and looks like a nipple. You have to look close, with a good light. If you see this, resolder that joint, and your problem will most likely be fixed.

BE CAREFUL!!!

-N.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Help! My monitor is dying!! - 09/25/01 01:31 AM

When I saw the post the first place I thought of was Boeing surplus, but Norman beat me to it. They have LOTS of stuff there, like drillbits for $1 a pound. I bought 10 pounds, and I am nowhere near short on bits. Safety glasses, pliers, and other tools as well. Sometimes you have to wade through a lot of stuff, but I got a 2 ton chain hoist for $10, my best find yet.
Posted by: sinker

Re: Help! My monitor is dying!! - 09/25/01 06:02 AM

Go to Buy.com.
I got a 17" Samsung flat screen from them for $173.
By flat screen I mean the screen doesn't curve. Looks really nice.
Right now they have a $40 rebate going on them too I believe. I was thinking of buying another so I could run dual monitors again.
Everytime I've been to Boeing surplus they want an arm and a leg for an old used monitor with no warranty.
I'd check RE-PC in Tukwila before I went to Boeing.
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: Help! My monitor is dying!! - 09/25/01 09:43 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!!!