Flotilla III: Game Plan?

Posted by: Anonymous

Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/16/01 11:35 PM

What's the game plan? We're all meeting first at the HWY 12 launch? What time?

Gooose
Posted by: willierower

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/16/01 11:41 PM

Yea I need to know also.
Yo redneck!!! you gonna ride with me or what? The little lady will be with me.

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/17/01 12:56 AM

Gawd I hate to do this...been puttin it off in the hopes of things getting better. I'm kind of in the same Hydocodone boat as RT. Took a fall on the riprap at the lower Quilcene access chasin rock rabbits and so wouldn't mind a boat ride if there's a seat open? Terrible to get old. Or if there's someone interested I can bring my 17.5ft smokercraft saltwater boat down. We'd be limited to trolling/fishing the water above the mouth of the Nooche. Don't have a trolling kicker but the old 75 will probably work just fine(works fine for downrigging...just gets grumpy). I've got some secret trolling setups that should slay the fish up there. Anyone interested post or e-mail me.
i'm probably going to go down the nite before and stay in either Elma or Monte

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/17/01 02:32 AM

The latest posted on it (ifish thread) was first Jim's suggestion to meet at Monte Square by 5:00 am the 27th, and head for ramps from there. Dan then mentioned that the parking has been cut way down at Monte (which I noticed a couple weeks ago when heading to the outer OP), and he suggested meeting at the Hwy. 12 ramp lot by the bridge over the Satsop. It's a real big lot and I agree with that. The time is debatable. Since daylight savings time doesn't end until Sunday the 28th, I think it won't start to get light until 7:00 am or so on Sat. 27th's F III. How about 6:00 at the 'Sop lot? Other suggestions guys?
Posted by: fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/17/01 11:28 PM

Goose did you get my email? I kept getting kicked off line.

Fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/17/01 11:47 PM

Additional game plan! Boater said he wants to arm wrestle me for money. Hope he brings a lot, to be held by third party. smile YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW!!! It will be at Hwy. 12 take out. Be there! mad laugh - RT mad
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/18/01 12:49 AM

anyone want to stand next to me on the bank after the meet in the morning when the boays pull away I would be more than happy to bank around and cheer the flotilla on by , e mail me I will set you on fish!! PEACE

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/18/01 02:04 AM

we will see who does the laughing after this event, and it wont be rt. smile

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/18/01 02:07 AM

Actually, we'll see who is crying after this event - and it WILL be Boater! mad And no way out now. laugh

And 'Yall, bring some duct tape to put numbskull's arm back on with. laugh

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/18/01 12:10 PM

rolleyes
Posted by: Fish Jesus

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/18/01 10:13 PM

Fastwater, Tried to e mail you to no avail.

Lets hook up?

FJ out.

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/19/01 10:57 AM

Got me a "Goose" in the boat!!!! So we will be team "Top Gun" on saturday. Look out you oreeeeegon boys. eek eek laugh

Fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/19/01 06:07 PM

Please rain so we can do this thing!!! What are the multi-day weather forecasts for up there? And the fishing prospects for the Satsop/Chehallis?

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/19/01 06:51 PM

Rained today, suppose to clear up a little. Rain showers monday-thursday. Cross your fingers and hope it's enough. Satsop came up about 50 f/s with the little rain today.

Fishhead 5

Team Top Gun

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: fishhead5 ]
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/19/01 08:54 PM

I am going to do some "scouting" tomorrow on the Satsop with Seacat. We'll give you the scoop afterwards. Andy

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/20/01 08:07 AM

The 5 day weather forecast for Montesano is for significant rains Sunday into Monday. Then a few showers on Tue. & Wed. Drying trend starting Thursday. Of course, that obviously can change. The ground is so dry everywhere in the NW that the initial rains will raise the rivers and they will drop right back down as the rest of the runoff gets sucked into the ground like a sponge. The key to the 27th on the Satsop is the follow up showers predicted for Tue./Wed. I hope they are enough to keep the river up enough. I want a big hooknosed 'Sop silver! You local guys watch the river during the week if you can, thanks.

Jerry (Steelheader69) put the following post up few hours ago about the Satsop:

Steelheader69 - posted 10-19-2001 11:33pm

Well, I hate to burst everyone's bubble here. Been fishing the Satsop/Chehalis all week for my fishing vacation. The Satsop is VERY low and was a pain in the butt to float in my cataraft. We need more then a rain, we need a downpour for a day or so. The Satsop has good color, but needs to be a good foot higher. The fish are hitting if you know where to go (right Os ). But for most part most fish are being snagged that I've seen caught. You hit them with plugs or spinners long enough they'll hit (that'ss if they don't spook out of the hole first which Ii saw alot of).
It'll be a driftboats nightmare if we don't get ALOT of rain. Saw a guy with a brand new Lavro (which is only driftboat I saw on Satsop all week) scrape up his hull in at least 10 spots from Schaefer to Cooks.

Well, keep checking the waterlevels. There are fish in the river but they're very spooky. You'll have to work to get the fish but it can be done (I know first hand )

I guess it comes down to the last minute again.

--------------------
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/20/01 08:48 AM

Seems like there is still some uncertainty to how much rain we'll get next week. I wont be going to the floatilla because I accepted an open spot(North Coast Area), for next weekend, the day before the floatilla date was moved. Don't forget to watch the Washington State/Oregon game next Saturday, 4 PM on ABC TV.

WAZ015-016-202230-
NORTH COAST-CENTRAL COAST-
OCEAN SHORES-NEAH BAY-ABERDEEN
415 AM PDT SAT OCT 20 2001

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING EXCEPT FOR AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS OR
FOG. INCREASING HIGH CLOUDS THIS AFTERNOON. HIGHS NEAR 55. NORTHWEST
WIND TO 10 MPH.
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN LATE. LOWS 40 TO 45. SOUTH
WIND 5 TO 15 MPH.
.SUNDAY...RAIN. HIGHS NEAR 55. SOUTH WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH SCATTERED SHOWERS. LOWS 40 TO 45.
.MONDAY...RAIN DEVELOPING AND BECOMING WINDY. HIGHS 50 TO 55.
.TUESDAY...SHOWERS AND WINDY. LOWS 40 TO 45. HIGHS 50 TO 55.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. LOWS 35 TO 40.
HIGHS 50 TO 55.
.THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN. LOWS 35
TO 45. HIGHS 50 TO 55.
.< TEMPERATURE / PRECIPITATION
FORKS 56 42 56 / 10 40 90
HOQUIAM 56 44 56 / 10 30 80
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/20/01 03:47 PM

Sorry, I thought I had posted that on this thread too. I feel sorry for all you guys with driftboats. You'll be doing ALOT of dragging. I know I did alot and my cat barely drafts 3 inches of water with load I had on it.

I guess it'l be a banktilla, not a floatilla unless we all hit eh mouth of satsop. Need rain, rain, and more rain.
Posted by: scottguides

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/20/01 06:29 PM

the cowlitz is looking better all the time.lots of fish and plenty of water. wink

eat a banana,save a fish laugh
Posted by: Perfect Drift

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/21/01 04:29 AM

As far as rain goes, you boys may just get your wish. According to the weather forecast, they're calling for rain Sunday night through Wednesday (possibly through Thursday night), with a real soaker all day Monday.

James
Posted by: Perfect Drift

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/21/01 04:32 AM

As far as rain goes, you boys may just get your wish. According to the weather forecast, they're calling for rain Sunday night through Wednesday (possibly through Thursday night), with a real soaker all day Monday.

James

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/21/01 05:17 AM

YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW!!!

smile
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/21/01 04:04 PM

Hey,

Good news for you Orygunners, RT. While fileting a silver last night, i decided to continue fileting all the way into my knuckle, which is now sporting 3 internal and 14 external stitches. Nice. rolleyes

So, I'm going to be handicapped a little, but I still figure on whoopin' you guys.

If we get a soaking rain and some followup showers, we should be in decent shape. These are going to be magnum-sized fish, too. I landed my biggest silver ever yesterday, and I've seen many fish in the upper teens on the Chehalis system so far.

Let's hope this system doesn't peter out like the last one. If the weather delivers, it should be good. laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 12:22 AM

Dan and the rest of the Washington crew
1) No using of sharp or pointed tools the rest of the week pleeeeeasssse; 2) No carnal sins or thoughts or the rain gods might turn off the spigot. Think kind thoughts about our southern brethern.

Really really big chrome extreme silver pigs? Heaven! Hopefully I'll be sportin a new 1025c rod...hint Joe.

Dan...gosh darn it that must of hurt...my best fillet knife trick was sticking one through the palm releasing a dogfish.

Team Top Gun
Cove Rv Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 02:56 AM

Oouch. Tough break Dan. You may have to fish semi one handed and I'm going to have to fish going back and forth from standing and sitting in my boat. How's that ol' football cheerleader yell go - "stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, fight fight fight!" laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 10:46 AM

602 f/s and climbing. We've had a pretty steady light rain most of the day yesterday. If it keeps up like the weather man says it should be goooooooood. Keep your fingers crossed and hope it holds.

Fishhead5
Posted by: Osprey

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 11:03 AM

Way to go Dude rolleyes

looks like I know who ....will be rowing eek
I sure hope you can net wink
Ok we'll let Fuzzybutt row and net......that way we can just High-five each other laugh

Oh ya Duck fans,be warned I hear rumors of some HUGE CHUMS cruisin around the Satsop .......you were warned.......Os

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 04:59 PM

780 f/s and still going straight up. laugh

Fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 05:02 PM

Heck Dan we could catch more fish than them Oryeeeeegonians with both hands tied behind our backs, don't let a little cut bother you. laugh

Fishhead5
Posted by: Timber

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 10:38 PM

Floatilla III game plan- Stay home if your planning on the satsop guaranteed to be PUNCHEDon saturday.Lots of rain on the way and saturday to be one of the worse days..You get 3hrs of good ole Grisdale rain and your done.TM
Posted by: Spooled

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 11:32 PM

Is this river ever gonna be fishable? Too little water, too much water. Which is it? rolleyes

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/22/01 11:56 PM

TM
Even if the freezing level drops up above?
Gooose
Posted by: scottguides

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 12:07 AM

ahh.c'mon timberman,what do you know about grisdale rain????? laugh laugh laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 12:46 AM

I know that one year up there we wore our rain gear every day from Oct.1 to the end of April!! laugh You know what I mean Scotty!! laugh

I can remember alot of days we had 8-10" of rain in 6hrs..

Goose-its not going to make much of a difference unless it drops
REAL LOWlike right on the river bank next to you as your floatin it..The Satsop is famous for PUNCHIN quick..One of the worst except for maybe the Skok..

It went from 510 to 1330 today!!!!!Its so full of mud now a guys lead wouldnt sink!!
laugh

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: The Reel Timber Man ]

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 01:02 AM

1300f/s eek eek and still going straight up..........

Fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 01:37 AM

TM
Know what it's like...worked the riggin for Mayr Bros. way back then. Even been snowed on May 1st up on the Clearwater with no raingear. OK fine damm thing blows out after all our prayers. I'm coming prepared for it. You can still get fish it just requires extra skill in recognizing where they're holed up. Not going to give out any specifics but all think Big Green Glow & Stinky for your rigups! There's other methods that'll work but I'm not goin to show them until the Flotilla!

Gooose laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 05:32 AM

Gooose, you mean like using Glo-in-the-dark + green K-16's wrapped with oversized egg juice soaked sardine filets and fished right on the seams close to shore? ... Naah, Waaaasie's wouldn't know that. Then maybe size 2 chartreuse & flame red Spin N Glos rigged along with egg and shrimp combos in those same seams, and also wide shallow tailouts where the light gets to the bottom among fish on the move? ... Naah, Waaaasie's don't know about that either. Or how about Mag Warts with chunks of crawfish tail on the belly hook? ... Naah, waaaasie's wouldn't know about that. Or how about ... nah, that's enough high water murky tips smile . BTW, in FishNg1's 'Satsop going going OUT' thread he says it's now heading to 2500 cfs with possible flood warnings. Geeeeeez. rolleyes What irony!

Scotty, I got your e-mail today. Let me know if you got my reply this time (I've had a bit of trouble with Outlook Express E-mailing).

Hey Troy, if the 'Sop(py) and other WA rivers are so muddy you could plant potatoes in them by next weekend, maybe Tillamook will be prime. Let's talk soon. - Steve

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 10:21 AM

looks like she's starting to hump over at 3000 f/s eek Long as it keeps going down it could be in good shape saturday.

Fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 05:03 PM

Now it's headed back up 3100 f/s. What will it dooo????????

Fishhead5

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 06:43 PM

3160 and counting!!!!! frown frown

I bet it isnt runnin mud aye!! rolleyes
Posted by: Spooled

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 09:34 PM

Went out Saturday with Catch-n-Eat to test out my special eggs for the Flotilla. They work !

eek

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: spooled ]

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/23/01 11:17 PM

RT sometimes you can find perfection in simplicity. wink Those concoctions while they do work are akin to French cuisine....I like my steak with a little salt and pepper and quickly burnt on both sides :p . These predators sometimes like their steak simple too. wink :p

Gooose laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/24/01 02:28 AM

Oh, you mean simple like a big Glo 'cheater' with eggs? Or maybe an in line plastic changable spinner clevis and beads with a sonic vibe blade just above your eggs, so it rings the dinner bell for the fish in murky water? Plug cut herring injected with extra oils? Twirling red prawns, also oil injected? NO??? Then what Gooose. E-mail me man - I won't tell. laugh

Edit: Ah ha! I got it. You actually use chunks of real steak sprinkled with Johnny's Seafood Seasoning salt on your hook. Sneaky dude. wink

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/24/01 09:30 AM

2580 f/s and droppping laugh. Doesn't look like we'll need all that muddy water stuff. Just suppose to be showers the rest of the week which should put it just about right.

Fishhead5
Posted by: Hey Yall Watch This

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/24/01 06:58 PM

Hey RT, can you post a picture of your 4 or 5 float setup for proper depth? I want to make sure I rig it right for this weekend so I can find those depths wink :p laugh

Hope your butt ain't too sore wink I'm sure Stew's been lonely since......
you can't walk to the fishing spots, yeah that's it.

Or maybe it's because he's the only person driving the LA Dodgers bandwagon to that post-season party. :p :p :p

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/24/01 08:02 PM

I'll make ya a deal Mike - right after you post a real picture of that 'ping pong paddle method' I will post a pic of the 5 float method. The guys will love it - if ya have the nads to post it. smile

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 12:11 AM

UH-OH Its headed back up from 2450 this afternoon to 2610 tonight!!!

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 12:47 AM

RT no way...I might get chastised for unknowingly giving away someone else's secret weapon. But I'll give you a hint on one as it really isn't anyones secret I hope. Gosh all those ideas are great...used them for years but they're still a little to fancy. Think real simplistic for salmon...can be presented under a float, on the bottom with a sliding weight(actually I use large egg sinkers in high flows), plunked, drifted, dead drifted without a weight, the methods of presentation are dependent on the water situation. Another hint...oldtimers used it off Johns River before I was born...way before most of us were born. I've slayed big nooks with it in nameless rivers right next to the people slinging regular river gear. Enough for that one...can you guess what it is and do you have the confidence that you can make it work is the big question. The other system
I may not even use as it's a friends new extreme killer tech....got a couple of Oregon highballer guides scratchin their heads. Nah! I won't risk it...too many of you guys may become physical if you saw what this system does.

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
Always FishOn!
Gooose :p laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 01:54 AM

OK Gooose, I'll bite. The first one is using yarn. That second one that may get guys angry at ya is your habit of using a portable smaller gillnet. eek jk Actually, that's what fishhead5 is going to do with his hands behind his back (see pg. 1 of this thread). shocked

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: RT 1 ]

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 02:23 AM

RT how many hints does a smart guy like you need? eek ! If you were a great big piggy of a nook or a ho what would be a simple T-Bone steak to you? Team Topgun will be the sled with the tarp to screen from all eyes what we're are throwin and what we're draggin them in with! eek laugh Like I said my fishin friends got some of them southern experts scratchin their heads tryin to figure out why my guys are consistently slayin fish in front of their clients while they got to work for them. Got to the point where they're tryin to keep them damm silvers from attacking there rigs as they're only interested in big nooks.

Gooose laugh

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 02:54 AM

Herring soaked in terryaki marinade and grilled over alder wood? ...

Sounds like it better not be posted on the BB? wink
Posted by: Paranoid

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 03:35 AM

Checked the Satsop in person tonight. Sorry to say that it is on it's way out again. Will check it again in the morning.

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 08:31 PM

Just posted to the other Satsop watch thread:

Jim Bain just called me and we both agree with what Dan S. posted in the 'Satsop watch' thread - he says it's toast, with more rain on the way. I propose we just keep this thing on a 'go when it's ready' basis for the first Saturday in Nov. that it's fishable. Most guys should be able to go. That would be Nov. 3rd, 10th, or 17th - not the Sat. of Thanksgiving weekend though. The Satsop should come in for one of those Saturdays, and those famous big silvers come into it fresh all thru November; just like chinooks do in the Tillamook rivers. Keep us posted on the 2 boards guys. Thanks.

RT
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 09:31 PM

Well, I was goiing to have bail on this weekend. Need to do tabs on my truck and winterize my trailer down on the Nooch. Too much to do and not enough time. I'm game for one of the other weekends.. I'd love to meet more of you (I'm kinda tired of always seeing Os or RT smile just kidding guys) Plus I want to show off my new cat frame. It's a real beaute!!!!

Hope to do FIII before thanksgiviing. That's when all hell breaks loosee at UPS and I usually veg on weekends (buut a fishing trip wouud do me good)
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/25/01 11:19 PM

God you guys are killing me water condition" I will be there on Saturday thanks for reminding me what everybody buta few of us KNOW FNG1 e-mail me!!!
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: Flotilla III: Game Plan? - 10/26/01 03:25 AM

Fastwater, I sent you a private e-mail as provided on this board, don't know if you will get it or not. Send me mail via FishNg1@aol.com and I will reply.