Question on reels

Posted by: banki

Question on reels - 10/22/01 11:27 PM

I have just picked up a couple Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5501 C3 reels on ebay and I was wondering if anyone has had problems or just an opinion on them.
rolleyes
Posted by: Spooled

Re: Question on reels - 10/22/01 11:37 PM

If I only had one reel for Salmon and Steelhead a 5501 would be it. Durable, reliable, castable and able to handle big fish. They aren't fancy, just good.
Posted by: Thumper

Re: Question on reels - 10/22/01 11:59 PM

Good, basic reels. Especially useful for backtrolling plugs and such since they are about the only reels where the line guide moves in free spool, allowing you to easily estimate the length of line you have let out ("ten wraps, 50 feet", etc.). Relatively primitive as baitcasters compared with todays Rolls Royce reels (Shimano Calcuttas and Curados, Quantum PR600s, etc.). The high end reels outcast the old style reels unbelievably.
Posted by: chumsalmon

Re: Question on reels - 10/23/01 11:38 AM

those are great old standby reels, pretty hard to destroy one of those. like said before they aren't as smooth as todays fancy reels, but if i had to choose one based on reliability and durability i would have to pick a 5501!
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Question on reels - 10/23/01 04:41 PM

Just remember to back the drag's off of them while not in use.The drag system will last longer.This goes for most all reels too.But have found it really helps on the 5501's and 6501's.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: banki

Re: Question on reels - 10/23/01 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. im hopin to test my reel out on some winter steelies, when i come home for christmas