Biggest salmon on a jig

Posted by: Anonymous

Biggest salmon on a jig - 10/29/01 01:50 AM

I got a 25 lb Chinook hen whle fishing with RT and Mark of First Cast Jigs on a cherise and red bead jig tied on a 2/0 Owner hook. No bait,no scent,no rubber worm. Later that day Mark got a huge 35-40 lb. buck on a blue/white jig. RT, always the experimentor, got a nice summer steelhead on a wiggle wart worked through a riffle. This all was for an upcoming Hot Tamale Outdoor show with host Scott Kappes who also got a 30 lb 'nook on a jig his first by the way. Anyone not giving bobber and jig fishing a try is really missing out. No matter whose jigs you use you really ought to give it a try.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Biggest salmon on a jig - 10/29/01 01:53 AM

Never caught a chinook on a jig. confused
But I have caught them on gidzits!! eek
Keith
Posted by: SotarBoy

Re: Biggest salmon on a jig - 10/29/01 06:09 PM

Hey Stew,
You take your bobber and jig to a North Coast stream, uhh let's say Tillamook area, and I'll meet you there with a bobber and some of my eggs. laugh eek laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Biggest salmon on a jig - 10/29/01 06:40 PM

Hey Sotar, normally I would agree with you completely. But on this day I was as usual trying all sorts of things for them. I was using eggs I cured in Amerman Egg Cure, one of the very best cures, and the jigs outfished them on this day. It's right on T.V. film, to be shown next Monday, a week from today on NW Oregon and metro cable stations. Of course on some days good eggs rule. And Friday the Wilson R. was gin clear and only at 2.7 ft.; conditions that jigs work especially well in. The more techs you have aquired the more flexable and productive you are going to be. Another thing, egg supplies are finite, jigs supplies aren't. I've become a believer!

BTW, I was fishing with Superfly recently on an Oly Pen river and I was float fishing a pink rubber worm on a jighead hook for silvers. On one bobber down it turned out to be a chinook buck weighing about in the mid 20's. So even the Kings like the pink worm too.

RT

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: RT i ]
Posted by: Dave Jackson

Re: Biggest salmon on a jig - 10/29/01 06:53 PM

I think that northern pikeminnow thing that I caught probably had salmon smolts in it's belly...