Situk River Alaska?

Posted by: Fish Jesus

Situk River Alaska? - 11/14/01 02:16 AM

Going to fish Steelhead on the Situk in late April early May. Has anyone been or know somebody who has. I know some are probably wondering why go all the way to Alaska to Steelhead when such prime
opportunities exist here. I figure that I can't go wrong experiencing Alaska for the first time and at the same time working on my endless craving
for hooking up with the silver bullet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FJ..out.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Situk River Alaska? - 11/14/01 03:02 AM

Ain't been there but seen it on a tv show. It looked like ahsome fishing but rainy and cold. The yakutat river higher up southeast is the best steelhead river in alaska.
Posted by: TW

Re: Situk River Alaska? - 11/14/01 05:24 AM

F.J
Have fished the Situk twice. Last April for steelhead, and once a few years ago in Sep for Silvers. Feel free to email me twilli6636@yahoo.com with specific questions and I will be glad to help you out.
Tom
Posted by: Thumper

Re: Situk River Alaska? - 11/14/01 05:34 AM

Knack....the "Yakutat" river you are thinking about is the Situk. It is Alaska's best spring steelhead river. We have been fishing it for 24 straight years now, usually for fall fish (silvers), but a few times for spring steelhead as well. If you hit the steelies right you will catch 10-30 fish a day. One keeper over 36 inches is allowed. FJ....let me know if you have any specific questions.....maybe I can help, or can put you in touch with my son who has guided on the Situk.
Posted by: CRAVEN MOOREHEAD

Re: Situk River Alaska? - 11/14/01 10:33 AM

Myself,Fish Jesus and 2 others are booked for May 6th thru 10th, 5 days at the Yakutat lodge. It sure would be awesome to hit the timing just perfect and have one of those 30 fish days....
Posted by: Thumper

Re: Situk River Alaska? - 11/14/01 12:55 PM

Just be sure to wear your fur-lined jockey shorts. There is no colder place on earth than the Situk River on a sleety, stormy spring day. 16 miles of wilderness and its a long walk out through hip-deep muskeg if you flip the boat. Take a few highway flares to start a fire. You never know.......