Escapement numbers for our rivers, sombody must of just pulled them out of their ars

Posted by: Anonymous

Escapement numbers for our rivers, sombody must of just pulled them out of their ars - 11/15/01 04:11 AM

Go to alaska and look in the rivers. every square inch is used for spawning or rearing. when is the last time you went to a river down here and saw the entire river full of fish. You should be able to walk accross the backs of wild fish in our rivers. every side chanell should be full of smolt and fry but you only see a few.

Where did this misconception of our current escapement numbers come from? I am possitive the actual historic numbers where much much higher than even our largest runs in recent years. Look at our huge runs of fish this year. Sure the runs this year are phanominal to us but what would people a hundred years ago thought about the runs today?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Escapement numbers for our rivers, sombody must of just pulled them out of their ars - 11/15/01 04:35 AM

Ya, but they didn't have GL3's and pink worms back a hundred years ago Rich. wink But I know what you mean about what "coulda shoulda been". It's been a genuine fishing tragedy. But we can deal with it still if we all clean up our acts - both literally and figuratively. (is that how you spell that long word?)

It's been a great couple of years where I've seen fish as thick as the 1800's in some places. Should be close to that for a couple more years before we cycle back to average runs. Let's hope the powers to be get it right soon enough.

RT