Cowlitz Dangerous?

Posted by: plug puller

Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/20/01 01:47 PM

Don't worry I am not talking about the snaggers up at barrier dam. Since all of the other rivers are blown I am thinking about floating the Cow tomorrow. I floated it this summer when it was at 2650cfs but now it is something like 7500 cfs. If I walk it down the corner at Blue Creek should I still be able to keep control of my boat? Have any of you guys ever floated it this high? Thanks in advance.
Chris laugh
Posted by: Fish Hunter

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/20/01 02:35 PM

Wish I knew. But along those lines, what are the good flows to fish/run the river in a jet boat ?

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Fish Hunter ]
Posted by: DriftWood

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/20/01 03:02 PM

No problem, the blue creek bend is tougher at the low flow. Stay tword the inside of the bend and you got nothing to worry about. Watch for those monster sleds shooting up it though.
Posted by: gillraker

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/20/01 03:19 PM

My opinion is that the Cow is in its prime when running between 6000 and 8500 Just get there and enjoy possible double limits of Silvers and Steel.

Gill
Posted by: rainycity

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/20/01 03:36 PM

Floated it Sunday and the rowers did an outstanding job...Said it was a about than they normally float it and actually said some parts were easier than before..Of course, they didn`t complain much about anything..Kind of tough to complain when you`re catching fish..

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/20/01 07:57 PM

Hey thanks for the replys guys. I am going there tomorrow. I think I am going from Blue creek to Mission to target steelies. Well, thanks. Any other info would be great.
Posted by: centerpin

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/21/01 02:54 PM

Plugpuller how did you do?

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/22/01 01:36 AM

We didn't do any good. There were a lot of steelies caught by the bankies at blue creek. There was also a record number of a$$holes there. I probably won;t return til next summer. The river has 1 foot visiblity. The Blue Creek hole was the only real hole now since the water has come up. Tight lines and good luck.
Posted by: LittleZoZo

Re: Cowlitz Dangerous? - 11/23/01 09:35 AM

A$$holes at Bluecreek?! You dont say! LOL! Yeah, the Bluecreek crowd can get kind of brutal long about winter run time.... The best way to handle most of those guys is to just shoulder right in there and stand your ground. Try to frown as much as possible and screaming a few cuss words at the boaters now and again never hurts. If you do all of these things, everyone else down there will think you're just as big an A$$hole as they are and maybe they'll leave you alone..... Seriously, It can be brutal down there this time of year. It's not a place you go to commune with nature or anything like that. You go to bluecreek to harvest fish and that's it. I fish it all the time and have never had any real problems yet, but just the same, I'd much rather be hiking some other river all by myself. Oh well, what do ya do? All the other rivers in the area are blown out right now and the Cowlitz is close to home and full of fish.