Cowlitz jetboating help?

Posted by: Fish Hunter

Cowlitz jetboating help? - 11/20/01 06:48 PM

Would anyone be able to share some info on the Cowlitz? I've fished the bank at Blue Creek twice and that's it. I want to start running my jet up there this winter. What are the good flows, ramps etc. Favorite method? Got a good link for flows there? Any thing special to look out for? Thanks for any help on this.
Posted by: fiishawk

Re: Cowlitz jetboating help? - 11/20/01 07:15 PM

Fishunter

NW Fishing.com for flow charts for the cowlitz is a good place to start .. Look at the chart for castle rock . Flows run between 3500 and 10000 feet .. Four main ramps Barrrier dam , Blue creek mission launch and Oleequa creek there are know real problems running the river. Blue creek is bad starting now and until after the christmas holidays with all the hatchery fish coming in.. At any one time there will be between 50 and 75 boats at the blue creek drift during the week of christmas.. the favorite method would be free drifting ..you will catch on good luck..
Posted by: fish4steel

Re: Cowlitz jetboating help? - 11/20/01 07:28 PM

I would look at the flow below Mayfield Damn; unless I am mistaken, Castle Rock is below the mouth of the Toutle and will show a significantly elevated flow rate.
Posted by: Predator Dawg

Re: Cowlitz jetboating help? - 11/20/01 07:57 PM

FH,

Launch and follow the 65 boats ahead of you. It is a very easy river to boat. Even the corner at BC is over rated unless you have low water. Know how your boat corners and you'll do fine. Besides, those bankies at BC are real tolerant of sleds that slide wide through the corner and douche them. laugh Where a hard hat if your so-so with the controls...

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Saltine ]
Posted by: bronc

Re: Cowlitz jetboating help? - 11/20/01 10:06 PM

HEY SALT had a good laugh over your post , about them b.c bankies being tolerant about being douched. laugh laugh laugh
Posted by: Fish Hunter

Re: Cowlitz jetboating help? - 11/21/01 02:44 PM

Yeah that Blue Creek bank scene is a real love in huh. rolleyes Thanks for the feedback. I'll run it next Tues. and maybe those brats will show up too. Tight lines!