Best Deep Cycle Battey?

Posted by: BossMan

Best Deep Cycle Battey? - 11/20/01 10:12 PM

Was looking into getting a new battery for my electric trolling motor and was wondering if there was a huge difference between various deep cycle batteries. What should I be looking for to tell if one battery is better than another? Anybody have any favorite brands? What's the best value for the price?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Best Deep Cycle Battey? - 11/20/01 10:19 PM

Try the West Marine store down at Shilshole. The staff are knowledeable and they back their products real well. Don't have their catalog in front of me so can't help you more than that. BTW their catalog has a real good discussion of battery types and uses.

Gooose laugh
Posted by: StorminN

Re: Best Deep Cycle Battey? - 11/21/01 12:23 AM

Gooose is right, call that West Marine store first and make sure Milton is working when you want to go... he's the guy to talk to. Their catalog is a great resource for all types of info... worth the $5 they charge for it (though they give you a gift certificate for $5 at the same time)

So go in, but a $1 keychain and a $5 catalog, walk outside, turn around, and come back in and buy your battery, and use your $5 gift certificate.

-N.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Best Deep Cycle Battey? - 11/21/01 06:55 AM

Exide, deep cycle batteries.
Posted by: Jellyhead

Re: Best Deep Cycle Battey? - 11/21/01 11:26 AM

I use a brand called "Rolls" batteries. They were originally made for the demands of commercial boats. They cost about twice as much as a Les Schwab battery, so depending on how much you use your trolling motor, depends on if you want to spend the bucks. I use mine alot, I mean alot. I have a bass boat, and all time spent fishing is on the trolling motor, when I troll for salmon or steelhead out of my skiff, I use the electric (same batt's, diff. boat).

These batteries have a seven year warrenty. (Pro-rated) They are the heaviest battery for group size I've ever hoisted (lot's and lot's of lead) I'm on my third year with this pair and can't notice any loss of power. With my old les Schwabs or Delco's I would get two seasons max, with the end of the second season being about 1/2 of their original power.

One thing, whatever brand you choose, is keep them on some sort of trickle charger on the off season. A little on board "guest" type charger is great for this and will prolong youre battery life.

Trojan batteries are also pretty good. Alot of the other bass guys I know run those. So are some of the dry cells. I have no experiance with those, but have heard good things.

Good luck,

And definitly pick up the West marine catalog. A wealth of boating hints and tips in it.

Aaron
Posted by: StorminN

Re: Best Deep Cycle Battey? - 11/21/01 12:23 PM

You might also check into Dyna batteries, they are made right in Seattle, they are located right near the Fishermen's Terminal, on the Magnolia side of the Ballard bridge. (on one of those cross streets between W. Emerson and W. Commodore Way)

Directions:
If you're on W. Emerson heading west from the 15th or the Ballard Bridge, go past the Fishermen's Terminal, through the light at the Cafe Apassianato, and up the hill, take the last right before the bridge over the train tracks, go down that road almost all the way to W. Commodore Way [1/2 mile or less?] Dyna batteries will be a on your right on that road, it's a long, low slung building.

They cater to the commercial fishing business, so I'm sure they must be tough batteries. I've heard of people going to their factory there and getting good deals, though I've never bought a battery there myself or used one of theirs...

-N.