When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too

Posted by: Anonymous

When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/23/01 11:00 PM

Well its that time of year agian when the brats are starting to show in good numbers and with the brats come the meat head jerk fisherman to the terminal zones where the brats stack up.

Never fails, every year I end up getting pushed out of the terminal zones by a bunch of low holein crowdin jerk offs. There could be 1/4 mile of a drift but if you hook a fish and they see they are right there one on each side of ya not more than a foot away.

You know the people that come out from the PS arnt the problem fisherman. I have rarely had a problem with any of these guys. The ones that cause the most problems are the guys that come out from Port Angeles Im not saying that all you PA guys are bad but 95% of the guys that are the biggest low holin know it all crowdin jerks tat are the ones ive had problems with are the ones from PA.

I see them countless times doing this crap. Maybe its not thier fault. Maybe they are yousto the Lyre and Elwa too much I dont know. But the guys from the sound are rarely jerks. Dont get me wrong there are some cool guys from PA but seems like there are lotts of rude ones too.

I dont act like I own the place and would gladly share a spot with a guy but some of these guys just push it too far.

I go through this crap every year, I gues its just one of the hazards of fishing near the hatchery.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/23/01 11:49 PM

Sorry Rich but you won't get much sympathy from me, I live in the Everett area and fish the Sky/Sno rivers as well as the sw Wa. rivers and put up with that crap just about every time out.
If I had access to the rivers you do I would spend more time fishing and less time complaining. Just my .02 worth

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 12:45 AM

My experience is that it's usually a small core of locals that gives me the most grief wherever I fish. They are totally aware of what they're doing. This is followed by a huge bunch of urban types who have no connection to the experience other than it sound like a cool NW thing to do. They typically are totally ignorant of their ill manners. My dad called them "sea gulls."

Gooose rolleyes
Posted by: B-RUN STEELY

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 02:36 AM

Goose... You can come fish with us anytime.. drift boat or jet boat. Let us know....

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 02:44 AM

All the way to Idaho? Thanks guys....but only if I can swing a whitetail hunt. Welll shhesh maybe not even that...is it really that good?

Gooose laugh

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 03:09 AM

I don't know Goose... When I was at my dads ranch the other day I would have sworn I was in Washington state... I got my 5x5.... We left those no front licence plate weiners parked at the gate.... All from washington state... plus two from california..

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 03:26 AM

Too much to resist...gonna figure out my liitle vacation time left.....can probably swing a 4 day week end any time in December. I keep readin and hearing bout you guys ...simple question is it sweet? Gotta go... darn Elk are on the front porch again after my apples. Damm lab left for the neighbors again.

Gooose laugh

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 05:10 AM

I dont expect solitude this time of year but id like too see people give each other a little respect. If somebody is in the zone before you than go some where else. I dont mind this stuff on places like the Bogie and Clawah because Its just gonna happen but in some places it just is uncalled for.
Posted by: ltlCLEO

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 07:52 AM

wow I fish your way alot and generally don't have a problem.I fish the solduck primarilly,down low,moriarity and the end of the 3000.The river was good to my wife last sunday.matter a fact another fisherman came down tothe whole,saw me and my wife and left.I was standing on a whole bunch of fresh,frisky fish,and tried to wave him on but couldn't get his attention.My two biggest kings have come my way with the help of fishermen in drift boats giving me a hand.I do stay away from people though.I have had problems with people around here.Something about salmon jumping stacking up that brings out the worst in people.
Posted by: bobbersdown

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 09:59 AM

I think that I have had only one opportunity to share in your sorrows Rich. On the Green. Wasn't a fun time. I have not had the opportunity to fish where you do but hope to get out to the peninsula some time this year, or next....keeping it on the list. I have yet to catch a steelhead in my life so am dreaming of the day. I just hope it is not ruined by some inconsiderate fishermen.
Posted by: Osprey

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/24/01 01:19 PM

Your'e right Rich every year,it happends.
Manners just seam to get lost by a lot of people.

I'm still jealous,sure wish I could get up you're way more wink ......Os

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 01:28 AM

While experiencing much needed solitude today on a zipperlip stream had some obviously urban dude wander up and start asking questions and making observations. rolleyes Talked bout how well he was killing silvers on the Dungy, how disappointed he was in the dark silvers on the Quil, how he'd never fish the Elwha again because it was difficult and by the way whats running in this river? Observed how I wasn't using bait and how his info was that steelies preferred shallow water. All my answers were a bunch of "unhuhs." Total Type II urban cowboy type! eek Hope this isn't the future of our fisheries? rolleyes

Gooose laugh

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 01:36 AM

Goose,
Yup I see those types every now and then. Those guys who put on the show that they know what they are talking about. They tell you the life history of each species and their habbits. Then they try to give you a few tips (both of which are pulled out of their arse. Then they start asking questions.

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 01:45 AM

Rich G
laugh
Gooose laugh

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 03:42 AM

Guys,,, thats funny... Give tips then ask questions... W

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 03:44 AM

Guys,,, thats funny... Give tips then ask questions... We call that " SPOKANE" itis!!!!!!!

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 09:05 AM

All the more motivation to do those 5 mile hikes on the rivers.What about all these a$$ h--- that can't pick up after themselves.Running into more and more no tresspassing signs and you can't blame them.
Posted by: bardo

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 09:47 AM

if you dont like fishing with all these guys, you should try fishing the snahappish gorge. you will be the only one there
Posted by: Dances

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 11:32 AM

Hey B-Run
I live over by spokane and they dont even ask questions. They just give tips pulled from where the sun dont shine rolleyes wink
Posted by: Fish Jesus

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 11:57 AM

In order to avoid locals busting my chops I use this rule.

When fishing Elwha........I'm from PA
Satsop or nooch................... Monte
Bogey or Duc...................... Bear Creek
Etc. Etc.

I've got what you might call a floating zip code!

FJ...out.
Posted by: FISHNBRAD

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 02:27 PM

Hey Rich, I feel your pain brother. I was out in your neck of the woods for the last few days and got to witness alot of crazy $#!+ going down. We Had a problem with a couple of guys on the Bogey Saturday. First they are fighting eachother rock throwing and all. Then we had a fish on and this jerk (the brains of the two) throws over our line gives it a jerk and yells fishon, needless to say the fish went free with a hook in it's mouth. To my disbelief this round head had a few choice words for us, but we showed great self controll and said nothing, first because we were in shock, and second, this Idiot must be nuts for talking crap to a boat with three guys that go close to 900lbs combined with the 6'9" frame of our fellow board member scrawny taking up a good chunk of that . A little while later this twit hooks a fish and tells us not to cast over his line this time, and not in a nice way, he looses his fish and starts telling us how he's going to cross the river and kick our butts. I guess It was my purely my fault for not knowing that I was fishing their river, my bad. It was to bad he never made it over to see us, maybe next time we can get togeather.
Posted by: CedarR

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 06:09 PM

From today's South County Journal:

ST.AUGUSTINE, Fla. A man was killed yesterday in a brawl among six anglers vying for the same fishing spot. Craig Alan Buckley, 35, died on the Mantanzas Bridge on Florida's east coast... Three men were arrested, including Buckley's 37 year old brother, who was charged with assault.

How long will it be before we see an article similar to this one with a Washington/Oregon dateline? Judging from some of the rudeness reported on this board, it will probably be sooner, rather than later. Be cool .
Posted by: UltimateFeashKacher

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 07:34 PM

fish Jesus,

I like your floating zip code idea. Need to get me one.

OP guys don't like PA guys. PA guys don't like PS guys, PS guys don't like CA guys, .... I see a vicious circle here. As a CA guy once said "Can't we all get along?"
Posted by: Fish Jesus

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/26/01 08:10 PM

Getting along would mean sharing and no matter what some people teach their children following through with certain ideals becomes more of a "do as I say not as I do" proposition. We try to teach our children social ideals so as they may get along in life yet contradict those teachings in our own displays of greed.

Lots of fish most often means that leading by example diminishes. I make it a piont to explain my opinion to my 12 year old son when he questions me on a fellow fishermans etiquite. I work with my boy not only on his fishing prowess but also in the manner in which a great angler carries themself. He's pretty much got the prowess it's the manner that sometimes gets clouded when multiple hookups are present. All in all I am confident in the fact that my offspring will not be one of those knuckleheads to which we toast
to their ignorance.

FJ...out.

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/27/01 08:43 AM

I figured you were down at the hatchery when I read the first post but didn't want to say.Very well.I was fishing up at the Sol Duk hatchery years ago with my wife and had a guy on the other side of the river,a local,start to threaten us.He then pulled his pants down and took a dump right in front of us and told me if I came over on his property He would kick my a--.I crossed the tailout,got all wet,and kicked his drunk butt.My temper is not set for that kind of envirement.I havent fished a hatchery since.Something about stacked up fish that brings out the worst in some people.
Posted by: bobbersdown

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/27/01 10:18 AM

Was out at Reiter for the first time on Sunday. beautiful area. Not so beautiful people. some were quite nice and understanding that 'combat' conditions require more patience with the guy next to you but others were just elbowing their way in. I even saw some people crossing lines across the river. Didn't have anyone relieve themselves though. I may head back on some weekday but not on the weekend if I can help it.
Posted by: Les Johnson

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/27/01 10:33 AM

My wife and I fished the Bogacheil River over Thanksgiving weekend. Most of the folks at the hatchery and down along Goodman Road (I believe that is the name). We did run afoul of one person however who made up for all the nice people. He enlilghtened me to the following:
1. Fly fishermen are not welcome in the Forks area.
2. Fly fishermen cause all the problems on the river including ruining the spawning beds
3. A fly-fishing group is attempting to stop the catching of wild steelhead (some truth here although he could not identify the group).
4. If sportfishermen don't take more native steelhead the Quileutes plan to take more. This may or may not be true, I don't know.
Since the guy was brandishing a fillet knife (he was filleting a hatchery steelhead as he lectured me) I chose to fish elsewhere.
What I do know is that I've fished the Olympic Peninsula for more than fifty years and during that time have:
1. Supported local businesses by dropping a lot of money in Forks and peripheral areas.
2. Been a reasonably good citizen who does not foul the river banks with empty cigarette packages or beer cans.
3. Made my own choices on which fish I keep -- or release in accordance with the regulations.
4. Enjoyed the largely wide open spaces left on the Hoh River for my type of fishing, which has been for the past ten years or more, only fly-fishing.
It is too bad that a few people tarnish the experience we all attempt to enjoy during our winter fishing. I don't blame any one geopgraphic area (Port Angleles for instance) for producing these inconsiderate, loud-mouthed, borderline illiterate louts. They are everywhere and since most of them have kids who will be brought up in the same borish manner, we will have to learn to live with them, at least during "hatchery brat season."

Les Johnson
Posted by: Coho

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/27/01 11:39 AM

There's always one bad apple,eh Les
Posted by: rainycity

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/27/01 12:09 PM

TJ,
Make catching your first steelhead a memorable one, don`t make it Reiter Pit, that`s combat fishing at it`s worst.
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/28/01 12:16 AM

I enjoy fishing secluded out of the way streams away from the so-called morons and that is what I treasure.

It seems to be that the OP has a higher percentage of these waters then anywhere else on the state...If I could make a living out there I could. That is one reason behind my pursuit of fisheries science at the UW.

Anyways, I also enjoy the combat fishing at times. I enjoy a little comedy at times and a trip to Reiter is full of it. The fights, the yelling, the crackers etc. etc. etc., it is downright hilarious!!!!! You just have to go into that type of fishery knowing what to expect...

Hell, I spend a day down at Drano this past Spring and I thought it was a blast. Normally trolling in a big circle is no fun but at Drano it is differnt, because there are so many people. It is blast just to sit back and watch everyone jockey for postion so they get the best line angle at the best water. It is riot to watch lines upon lines get crossed and see chrome springers zip across the lake taking one fisher's line after another with him. Just go in there with some patience and a good attitude and it can be a Hell of alot of fun.

Also if you have some pented up anger, terminal fisheries are a great place to go as you will no doubt have a good reason to yell and scream at someone. laugh

Re: When the brats show the meat head fisherman do too - 11/28/01 12:34 AM

Your right the olympic penninsula definately alows for olot more privacy.I have to hike alot more but it is half the fun.You can spend all day hiking not see anybody and still might catch a fish.When you do it is even more rewarding.I am the same way,I go to the crowds for entertainment,and if you go with the right state of mind,it can be fun,in verry small doses.I have a feeling that it is alot harder to do on the other side.alot more fish at times though?