Vision hooks are awsome

Posted by: plug puller

Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 12:10 AM

Superfly, Parker, Bk and Kid,
I just wanted to say that I have been using the hooks for 3 months and I really like them. They keep a very sharp tip. I got a steelie the other day and the hook went right through the bone on the side of the mouth. Any dull hook would of been rejected. Great hooks. laugh

thanks Eggs, I wasn't totally sure. laugh

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: plug puller ]
Posted by: EggsGuy

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 12:18 AM

Dont forget to thank BK,,he is one of the rep's also.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 12:49 AM

Plug Puller same for me...nice hooks. I'll be out west on that litle river this saturday if you want to hookup. Don't work for these guys but I've got one of their Allstar rods you gotta try if you want.

gooose laugh
Posted by: StorminN

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 02:17 AM

Yeah, my fishing partner and I have been doing some testing this season, and we both agree that the Vision hooks are damn good and a great deal for the money.

We've tried Mustad, Eagle Claw, VMC, Hayabusa, Gamakatsu, maybe a couple of others, and I'd say the only ones that might be sharper are the Gamakatsu's, but they're too much money, and too hard to sharpen when they dull on rocks, etc. The Hayabusa's seem to be very close to the Visions in performance, but I'd need to try more Hayabusas to be sure, but they're harder to find here than the Visions.

I'm super happy with the Visions, I've definitely straighted some 1/0 ones on 15lb line, but only on snags, not on fish... and I feel I hook more fish when I'm using the Vision hooks, and that's what's important, right? Fishing with confidence?

-N.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 11:48 AM

Something that StorminN pointed out to me, so I'll explain what's going on.

The reason for the logo-only web site?

We're working on the *real* front-end and web site now. Since we all hate those "under construction" sites, we felt it would be better to just wait to unvail the site when it was completely finished. We're working on the site now. Until that time, just click on the big Vision logo to gain access to the e-site.

Here are some contact emails you can use:

For product questions, comments, and questions in general, send email to:

products@visionhooksandtackle.com

For questions concerning an order that you have placed, email:

orders@visionhooksandtackle.com

Need some help with your Vision Hooks & Tackle, found a bug in the web site, please email:

support@visionhooksandtackle.com

Just a quick teaser for you. We will soon have 1/4 white backer rod for sale on the e-site really soon! Also, Vision is working on a PenTac "clone" spoon.

Thanks for your support in Vision Hooks & Tackle.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: parker ]
Posted by: plug puller

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 03:14 PM

Gooose,
Saturday is the only day I can't fish frown . I might be at the donkey spot on thursday afternoon to evening. I am probably floating on Friday and Sunday if the rivers are ok. I am open all next week if you want to hook up. I will know my plans better on thursday for what I am doing this weekend, everything depends on how much rain we get. frown laugh
Chris

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: plug puller ]
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 03:36 PM

StorminN, you're happy with a hook that straightens on a snag with a 15lb. line, I think I'll stick with a Gammie that will break that same 15lb. line before it will straighten, a Gammie may bend but I have "never" straightened one.

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 05:25 PM

What size and color Vision hook? Just the 1/0's? That would be the same size a Gammy #1.

What brand of 15lb test line were you using?

I'll test out a Gammy 1 and a Vision 1/0. Although, IMO, 15 is way too heavy of a line for that hook, I'll still do the tests and see what happens.

Just looking at the hook size to line poundage, yeah, it doesn't surprise me at all your busting/bending/straightening hooks, regardless of who makes them.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: parker ]
Posted by: Jersey Fresh

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 05:43 PM

I too like the Vision hooks BUT each time I have purchased a 50 pack I have had several defective hooks in the pack that have to go straight to the garbage. I thought I was unlucky but it keeps happening?

JF

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 05:52 PM

Jersey,

One of the downsides to a small company is the lack of time, resources, and man power to physically check each hook before they are shipped out to stores.

Sure, it would be nice to have a fleet of minimum wage workers sorting hooks for Vision, but that isn't going to be happening any time soon. At least not to my knowledge.

If you find defective hooks, send them back to Vision. It only takes an envelope and a stamp. Vision will gladly replace all your defective hooks.

Yeah, it sucks. They know it and apologize for being a small company with no Umpa Loompas doing their sorting. wink Vision will replace all defective products brought to their attention, though.

Send the hooks/swivels, along with a return address to:

Vision Hooks & Tackle
PO BOX 39
East Olympia, WA 98513

products@visionhooksandtackle.com

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/11/01 07:43 PM

AkKings, you say "a Gammie may bend but I have 'never' straightened one" Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but when I say the Visions straighten, I really mean they bend and open a bit and come off the snag... and I'm perfectly happy with a 1/0 hook that bends on 15lb line. In fact, I've done the same thing on Gammies, but they seem to be a tempered A LOT harder than all other hooks. This makes them brittle, I've broken a few of them, and they are hard to sharpen once they dull. It's a value thing for me, $4.67 for 25 darn good Vision hooks (.186 each) is better than $2.69 for 8 hooks... (.336 each) I don't think the Gammies are worth almost TWICE the price. (Yeah, you can buy them in bigger packages and save, I know...)

Parker,
First of all, I wasn't complaining. I realize 15lb line is big line for 1/0 hooks. I was using 1/0 black octopus hooks, on 15lb Maxima UG.

I'm happy with the hooks, I want to buy 1000 of them.

-N.
Posted by: Kid Sauk

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 12:11 PM

Plug Puller and StorminN, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you like the hooks smile I fish Vision hooks and swivels exclusively and I have never had a problem with them. I've said it before and I'll say it again.......Vision hooks are sized differently than Gamakatsu so your Vision 1/0 is just a hair bigger than a Gammy #1. Go a size up on the Visions if you are used to using Gammies.

Save money and buy Vision hooks, you will be pleased!

Thanks again for your support! laugh Peace
Posted by: gillraker

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 12:41 PM

There are some for sale in the classifieds laugh

gill
Posted by: Bob D

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 03:30 PM

Heres my take on Vision. First I will tell you that I switched to Visions this Fall after Salmon and all my worm rigs and cheater rigs are tied on Visions now! I have tested them on the Bogy the other week and the results were outstanding! We missed 2 fish out of a few! Thats to be expected when multiple hookups are happenin.
There almost or as sharp as Gammies and under half the cost! Thats the biggie for me as Gammies were getting very expensive in the quantities I go thru.
As far as quality goes there darn consistant but I havent used the big ones yet and Ive heard they are less consistant but Vision was working on that in the beginning.
Appearance: Black and red hooks look good but not as consistantly finished as Gammies. But Ill easily overlook that factor. Thats also one of the reasons Gammies are SOOOO expensive. The one thing Im wondering is if the finish will flake off if sprayed with WD-40 in my hook box as they did when I bought a pack back when they started. I had a very disposable income then so cost was never an issue so I never really gave them a second look.
I will spray them this week and let you all know what the outcome is and if they do flake is there something in the process that can be altered to cure this? I carry alot of hooks with me so when they get damp I spray every once in a while so they dont rust. oes anyone else?
All in all a exellent hook and I have ordered a bunch more.

Keep up the good work guys...

Bob D
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 03:33 PM

hey Bob, where did you pick them up at. I'm from port orchard to and was wondering. what color of hook do you run with the pink worms. thanks Ben

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 03:47 PM

Hey Rock!
I order from Vision. I ask the guys at Sportco every week when Im in there and they still dont have 100 packs! But Im working them hard!

Bob D

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 03:54 PM

Hey Rock diddent answer your question, I run red but it really dosent matter as red turns black first under water! It just looks good to the fisherman!

Bob D

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 04:34 PM

If you can not find the Vision products you are looking for at your local tackle store, you can always get hooks and swivels on line at:

www.visionhooksandtackle.com

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: parker ]
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 08:28 PM

A note on sharpness:

N.S. Black is the sharpest of all the colors as they are handled the less (requiring the least amount of finishing). Since I learned of this, all that I fish is black.

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 09:10 PM

Sparky, I'd have to agree, I think the black ones are just a wee bit sharper, or maybe it's just me being a kook...

-N.
Posted by: eggs

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 09:36 PM

The thing i like most of vision hooks is the BEND!!! I agree hooks must be very sharp, but when using small hooks the bend is the most important! Vision guys.... you have it right. Gammy's are very sharp, but wrong bend, and the small hooks loose there point quick!
I need to try Vision larger hooks, but am worried they are too thick? I like two 5/0's to run my prawn rig... only have been able to get the (spin) i am looking for with vmc's..... extra fine? Parker and gang whats your coments?
Posted by: nikkomutt

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/13/01 10:37 PM

How do get on the Vision Web site?
It asks for username and password.

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/14/01 11:58 AM

Click on the link to www.visionhooksandtackle.com

CLick on the very large Vision logo. This will take you to our e-site.

Click on the "sign in" button. You will need to click on the "Create New Account" link if you do not have an account.

Once you've created the account, shop like there's no tomorrow! Oh wait, if there was no tomorrow, you wouldn't need to shop, now would you? Who makes up these sayings anywyays? That one is stupid! wink

Eggs - ask Joe/Justin for a sample of the 5/0's. I'm sure they will work just fine, but like anything else, sometimes it all boils down to personal preference. Try 'em and see if you like 'em! wink

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: parker ]
Posted by: nikkomutt

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/15/01 03:30 PM

Hey Parker thanks for directing me to the website.
Everyone here seems to like these new hooks.
The problem i have is i cant find them anywhere.
Do you guys have sample hooks?
Posted by: Bugleman

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/15/01 03:44 PM

Blah!!

Owner needle points all the way. Way hard steel and a 1/0 almost never bends unless stuck into a rock. I get size 1 for 20c and 1/0 for 25c a piece. Sweet hook up ratio and haven't had a steelie spit a hook yet on my rod. Look up Taka tackle in So Cal and buy the pro packs.
Posted by: FASTWATER

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/15/01 09:05 PM

What ever happen to the Mustad boys? Still buy them, fish them and kick ASS, even if I go thru a couple of FILES!!! Next round just keep up. PEACE!!!
Posted by: fishhead5

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 12:37 AM

Bugleman,
Haven't had one spit the hook yet??? Does that mean you're one for one laugh

Fishhead5
Posted by: Huntar

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 12:50 PM

The guys I was fishing with Sat. went 7 boated for 8 hook-ups - the Vision hooks never lost a fish. (The one lost wasn't on a Vision).
Posted by: Metalhead Mojo

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 06:29 PM

if the visions are sharp as gamakatsus, then what difference would price make? seems everyone is cool with spending $300.00 + on a gloomis rod but some of you are complaining about an extra buck for the gamakatsus?? price shouldnt matter, as long as the quality is there...
Posted by: fishhead5

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 06:42 PM

KSR, I go through about 2000 hooks a year, I don't go through that many rods.

Fishhead5

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 06:43 PM

thats a good point!!
Posted by: Kid Sauk

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 06:52 PM

KSR and others,

There is more to Vision hooks than a great value compared to Gamakatsu. It all boils down to the bend of the hooks. Vision hooks have a unique bend from the hook point down which is straighter than comparably sized Gammies. This allows for deeper penetration on the hookset and a slightly larger barb helps keep fish on.

We are not talking about high-modulus graphite rods, we're talking about chemically sharpened hooks. I am very familiar with the process involved in chemical sharpening and Vision, Gamakatsu, Owner, Mustad Ultra Point, etc. are all sharpened in the same fashion. If you want to buy the same thing for a higher price, then be my guest. There are too many guides and recreational fisherman to list that have dumped over-priced Gammies, Owners, etc. and turned to using Vision.

This is America guys, nobody is forcing you to use anything you don't want to. If you want a great chemically sharpened hook or the best worms and swivels on the market for a lot less than the competitors, then look to Vision hooks and tackle. If you haven't used Vision tackle, then please give it a chance before you go knocking it.

Vision is an Olympia, WA based company owned and operated by hard-core fishermen just like yourselves. I have always been in favor of supporting local fishing companies such as Beau Mac, Worden's Lures, Luhr-Jensen, and many of our smaller local jig manufacturers, etc. etc. Thank you for your support and with Vision you will hook and hold more fish! smile

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 09:51 PM

Saturday I put Visions thru the torture test. I won't say which river but it gets a late run of chrome..yes rooks...very chrome very large fresh from the salt chuck dogs. Yes dogs...hardly a hint of color on them....and notyour Hoodsport saltchuckers. Anyone by now should know that your normal nasty ugly dogs are harsh on tackle including hooks....well how many of you really have experienced them in their true saltwater form? What? Very few? Anyway alls I had were Size 1 Vision blacks as I left my Pips container with all my freshly tied 2/0s siting at home. Now this is the wrong size hook of any brand for these fish but you "dance with the gal you came with." Seven hookups with four to the bank, two busted 12 pd UG mid leader, and one threw the hook. All of the fish were not handled with kid gloves...I purposely wanted to see how much balls my 1025c Allstar, 201 BSF, 12 pd Maxima UG line and leader, and Vision hooks and swivels. If the rod broke or the reel failed fine..I wanted to fully test my chosen weapons. As far as I'm concerned all performed superbly including those tiny little outmatched Vision hooks. All the fish brought to the bank were locked solid in them hard bony jaws with the hooks a pain get out because they were pinned that tight. I've seen some whiners in my time but...aw heck with it if you don't like the product fine buy the overpriced stuff. Also love it when people who have only about one years river fishing experience start sounding like experts all of a sudden rolleyes .

Gooose rolleyes
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 10:01 PM

Well heres my .02 on visions vs. Gamis. If your fishing a river that allows barbs then fish a hook that actually has a barb. You may as well label Gami's as barbless because the barb they have sucks. I won't complain about there sharpness though. As far as visions go they do have a hilacious barb, and that with sharpness and amount of offset are the major factors in hooks.
Keith laugh

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 10:45 PM

ahhh, i see it, its a trash gamakatsu thread now...hmmm, maybe the STS guys owed the Vision guys some back advertising so they agreed to this thread??? LOL you gettin paid good for that last post gooose??? laugh laugh laugh

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 11:09 PM

KSR
I ain't no ones beeyotch. BTW did I bust specifically on gammies. Sorry guy you're an outright lurker as you have not offered from what I've seen much else than selective negative comments. Am I wrong but didn't you describe yourself as having little experience fishing rivers and were very virginial about the subject of snagging? How you been doing buzzbombing off the piers? Here's an offer for you....when do you want go river fishing and actually do some comparisons between hook brands? What? I'm waiting?

Gooose laugh
Posted by: $$B-MONEY$$

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/16/01 11:19 PM

"a gammie may bend but I've "never" straightened one." LOL, thats funny!!!!! laugh laugh laugh Vision... great hooks,great price!!!!!! laugh laugh laugh

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: BK ]

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/17/01 01:07 AM

sure. email me and lets go.
Posted by: Leadslinger

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/17/01 01:08 AM

Man,you guys take your hooks far too seriously.How can you get mad at each other over a friggin hook?LOL
I guess I'm the only hook hoe out there.I use Gammies,Vision,Owner and Mustad Ultra points.They all do the job well.My only beef with any of them would be where they are manufactured and under what conditions.
Posted by: ltlCLEO

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/17/01 01:36 AM

It sure does seem like the people who don't want to talk about the zlip like to dangle them,just can't quit fishing,huh wink I do have to say that v hooks compete with G hooks,the biggest thing in their favor I see is that they sharpen up better.I still think that it has more to do with knowing how the fish think than the gear.I have had too many kids with dull hooks and stinky bait out fish me!

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/17/01 01:40 AM

Sorry KSR ...everything out in the open for the board to see...I ain't afraid of the light. I'm already committed for this saturday with Fish Jesus....you pick your water...your hole....your river. Any Saturday or sunday....What? I'm still waiting? Geez I'm even giving you the max advantage of your expertise in fishing certain rivers...what more do you want? Hey if I end up a total failure in this ....got no problem eating crow in front of the board. BTW: I also fish Mustad 92553's in black because I'm still an old fart and they are designed similar in concept to the Vision hooks.

Cove RV Park & Tackle Prostaff(1)
"Best of the Best"
Team TopGun
Always FishOn!
44 But I Should Be Able To Out Fish Someone?
Lurker Bustin Prostaff

Gawd I miss anything? Oh forgot occassional Ark builder.

Gooose

laugh

Re: Vision hooks are awsome - 12/17/01 01:58 AM

what more do i want? i want you to quit making it conditional and lets get on the water. unless you were just talking and didnt mean to through with it. i hope you arent trying to back out now are you?? i sure hope not...

anytime, anywhere...