Anyone used Gore-Tex socks?

Posted by: Wild Chrome

Anyone used Gore-Tex socks? - 12/31/01 07:18 PM

I got a pair of Gore-Tex socks for Christmas. Does anyone have experience using them inside neoprene wader feet? They're supposed to help draw water away from your feet. I'm not sure whether to wear them inside or outside my thermal socks.
Posted by: R Ridgeway

Re: Anyone used Gore-Tex socks? - 12/31/01 08:04 PM

I have used both GorTex and neoprene socks and you need to wear a wicking sock underneath for both. I usually wear an inner-polypropylene calf high ski sock followed by a medium thickness wool or acrylic (non-cotton) sock for some insulation followed by the Gortex or neoprene sock. I stay really warm standing in cold water and if my wader ever leaks my foot stays dry. The inner layers wick the moisture away from your feet through the ankle area. Put cotton in the equation and you're at least going to sweat and feel damp. Here's a site that describes some liner socks (haven't used this company). http://store.yahoo.com/campmor/footwear-liner-socks.html
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Anyone used Gore-Tex socks? - 12/31/01 08:06 PM

I haven't used them in waders, but I have used them in two pairs of hiking boots that I use for hunting. They are great. I use wool socks in my waders.

Andy