High Wind Fishing

Posted by: ynotfish

High Wind Fishing - 01/01/02 12:05 PM

Hey all,
I live up in goldbar and fish up here mostly, we get extremely high winds here making fishing challenging, what is your favorite high wind teqhniques?
mike
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/01/02 12:17 PM

is it really windy today?
tyler
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/01/02 12:19 PM

Cast backhanded or side armed low to the water and add extra weight. Reel in the extra slack too. Sometimes need to move on to a hole that doesn't blow as much.
Posted by: Leadslinger

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/01/02 01:24 PM

Yeah,the wind can be a pain out here.more often than not the high winds don't extend very far west from Sultan.If I'm dumb enough to try in this weather,and I usually am,I like fling spoons because I think it's probably easier,than with bait, to feel a fish with a bowed line.Obviously timing my casts between gusts.Short casts,angled downriver and I'll put my rod tip at water level to try and keep the wind from really bowing my line.
Posted by: Bobber Down

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/01/02 02:18 PM

Yeah I got a good dose of that Startup/Goldbar wind on Saturday. I managed to conquer it by casting side arm and parallel to the water, so that your drift rig has the least minimum altitude during the cast. The higher your line gets on the cast the more problems you will have.

I was using a dink float and roe setup, once my float hits the water, I'll actually put my rod tip just under the water about an inch until my float drifts downward from me then I'll raise my rod tip to even with my hip. The farther your rig floats down from you the more you can raise your rod tip.

Oh yeah the fishing was slow, only one take and miss, felt like a cutthroat or dolly hit.

BD
Posted by: Old Man

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/01/02 05:56 PM

It seems that the wind blows year around in the Sky valley. When I fish it in the summer it some times blows me off the river. When that happens I go fish smaller stream in the area. And there a lot of those. Jim S. cool
Posted by: AkKings

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/02/02 12:33 AM

Man, it was blowin like a busload of qu##rs out there today, I fished (attempted to fish) for an hour or so then said the hell with it, it seemed to be an effort in futility.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: High Wind Fishing - 01/02/02 12:42 AM

Good one AKkings, that's funny!!! laugh
Keith laugh