Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route?

Posted by: trouter

Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route? - 01/09/02 03:36 PM

Does anyone know if you can get past the slide on hwy 4 without having to go into Oregon? I've heard you can get to the Beaver Creek Hatchery by taking back roads of hwy 4 from Mill Creek, is this possible?
Posted by: cooter

Re: Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route? - 01/09/02 04:30 PM

Yes it is possible but it's been so long since I've done it I can't remember how. It brings you out by the lower fish hatchery. Kind of a shortcut, but not when its snowing.
Posted by: buzzerbaby

Re: Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route? - 01/09/02 09:43 PM

Take cameron creek (just past Abernathy creek), then cross over on robertson road to old mill creek road. I'm not sure where the actual detour is but it should be marked (and slow). Good luck.

Buzz
Posted by: sinker

Re: Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route? - 01/10/02 05:44 AM

We tried going this way about 15 yrs ago or so. Bro-in-laws family grew up on the Elochoman. The road was on the map alright, but a ways past the pavement it was washed out in a few places. Finally got to the point where a jeep couldn't make it. Didn't look like they had used the road in years.
But like I said that was a long time ago. They've probly since rebuilt it for logging.

Where is the slide at on hwy 4?
Posted by: buzzerbaby

Re: Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route? - 01/10/02 10:44 AM

Info I got this am was that it is open for one lane only and it is slow. The slide is at mp 47.5 (between abernathy and mill creeks).
Posted by: Krome Brite

Re: Getting to the Elochoman, Hwy 4 alternate route? - 01/10/02 06:31 PM

It also might help some to know that it is about 13 miles east of Cathlamet.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Krome Brite ]