Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall?

Posted by: fromcuthroattosteelies

Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 01:16 AM

My wife and I are both teachers, Hence, living in the Greater Seattle area we are having a tough time finding a home. We looked at a home in Yelm and made an offer. I was also thrilled to see the Nasty run through there. Do the fish make it up that high. If so, can it compare with the puyallup or carbon? Buying a new home depends heavily on the fishing opportunity
Posted by: Fish Jesus

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 01:36 AM

See the regs! I'm not sure if fishing is allowed that high. Tank crossing may be the deadline!

FJ...out.
Posted by: Migrating_Smolt

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 04:24 AM

FJ,
You are correct. For Salmon, below the tank X-Ing... There are 5 lakes within 20 minutes of Yelm (Trout, Bass, Catfish, Perch, etc.). The Nisqually above the Tank X-Ing is good Trout water. See link to read about Steelhead on the Nisqually (Steelhead on the Nisqually thread) .
Posted by: riverswild

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 10:14 AM

If you are looking to move to Thurston County, Yelm is not a bad choice. Even though it boomed up in the last 15 years it is still a quite town.
Posted by: haverodwillfish

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 08:04 PM

Not to make anyone who lives in Yelm mad, but I work law enforcement in that area (7th Ave south to Yelm) and have to say that it is meth-ville, but fishing on the Nasty is not bad. If you and your wife are looking for a house, I would have to say that getting one out in Orting or Sumner would be a better bet, especially if you have kids. I see a lot of TAs (traffic accidents) on 7 Ave, and like I said before, crime is relatively high in that area. And yes the tank xing is the highest you can go. Most of the fish stop at the hatchery on Fort Lewis, but if you have a pontoon, or like to walk, the stretch from Yelm down to Nisqually is great rafting/trout water.

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 10:01 PM

haverod, what's your take on Eatonville?

FJ...out.

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 10:39 PM

FJ,
I think that Eatonville is great, like Orting, and Sumner, but not trashy like East Fort Lewis/Yelm/Roy area (sorry locals). I have spent so much time on E Fort Lewis, and on the Nisqually running all the meth-heads out of there, it just doesn't seem great to me to raise a family there, if it's your backyard, and you like it, fine, I just don't. I see far too much crime down on the Thurston/Pierce County line. But I still like to fish the Nisqually near Mounts Road and the town of Nisqually. What I like about Eatonville is that there doesn't seem to be as many dump sites, and it is closer to the mountains...best of both worlds: hunting and fishing.

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 10:40 PM

FJ,
I think that Eatonville is great, like Orting, and Sumner, but not trashy like East Fort Lewis/Yelm/Roy area (sorry locals). I have spent so much time on E Fort Lewis, and on the Nisqually running all the meth-heads out of there, it just doesn't seem great to me to raise a family there, if it's your backyard, and you like it, fine, I just don't. I see far too much crime down on the Thurston/Pierce County line. But I still like to fish the Nisqually near Mounts Road and the town of Nisqually. What I like about Eatonville is that there doesn't seem to be as many dump sites, and it is closer to the mountains...best of both worlds: hunting and fishing. E mail me for more opinions.
Posted by: bardo

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 10:47 PM

ever give any thought to the grays harbor area? shelton,elma, montesano etc. close to just about all the great op rivers.

Re: Is the nisqually in Yelm a good place for salmon in the fall? - 01/22/02 10:50 PM

With those type of influences my business would surely go down the tubes!

FJ...out.