How can I tie a knot that keeps my jig horizontal? P.S. Thanks for the idea Tyler!

Posted by: fromcuthroattosteelies

How can I tie a knot that keeps my jig horizontal? P.S. Thanks for the idea Tyler! - 01/24/02 11:45 PM

Whenever I fish jigs, I continually get frustrated because after each cast, I find my jig resting vertical instead of horizontal. Is there a special knot I can tie to keep it drifting at a horizontal position? If so, is there a link of a website with directions or an illustration? Thanks guys
Cuthroat
Posted by: fish_finder

Re: How can I tie a knot that keeps my jig horizontal? P.S. Thanks for the idea Tyler! - 01/25/02 12:06 AM

I usually tie what I think is a trilene knot and it holds well. Through the eye twice leaving a loop, around the line 4 times and then through both loops that are now left. Wet it and tighten, I've caught quite a few fish this way and I typically fish 6 or 8 lb. test. I test my knots pretty good before using them though and once in a while I have to tie this one 2 or 3 times being the only drawback.

Dave
Posted by: cowlitzfisherman

Re: How can I tie a knot that keeps my jig horizontal? P.S. Thanks for the idea Tyler! - 01/25/02 11:03 AM

Just use a dab of supper glue in the hook eye of the hook after you tie your knot! It will hold your jig in whatever position you want it.

Cowlitzfisherman

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook????
Posted by: JacobF

Re: How can I tie a knot that keeps my jig horizontal? P.S. Thanks for the idea Tyler! - 01/25/02 02:44 PM

I typically use a jig with enough weight to balance out and ride horizontal. For those kind of jigs, I use the surgeon's loop knot. For lighter jigs like John's Jigs, even though they hang vertical out of the water they balance out near perfectly when in the water.
Posted by: ynotfish

Re: How can I tie a knot that keeps my jig horizontal? P.S. Thanks for the idea Tyler! - 01/25/02 08:56 PM

ditto on the super glue works great
mike