Best one man watercraft?

Posted by: Perfect Drift

Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 09:22 PM

Has to be light enough to carry around logjams, sweepers, etc. Also, has to be good quality in all aspects of the vessel! Don't want the seat to break and fall in rolleyes . Still can't believe that actually happened to someone.... Not worried about the price tag. So, what's the best?? Can be pontoon, small raft, doesn't matter.

Thanks,

James
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 09:41 PM

i'd say a pontoon!
tyler
Posted by: fiishawk

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 09:41 PM

toutle fly shop (toutle, washington ) has a good quality one man pontoon boats ..Not a bad price ..
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 10:00 PM

If you are going to get a pontoon boat make sure it is rated for rivers. Some are and some aren't. I have a Bucks Bag Boat but it is for lakes only. The pontoons are not big enough for rivers. Jim S

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 10:22 PM

Specific manufactures that are better than the other? The rougher the water it can take on the better! Obviously if a stretch of white water is "too much" for the boat, you can walk around it. That's why on the orginal post says it has to be light enough to carry.

Thanks,

James
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 10:38 PM

Since you said money isn't an object, the here's what you do. Buy yourself a set of whitewater cataraft tubes. There are NRS, Aire, Sotar, Maravia, and Wing to nam a few. SInce you have the mone, buy a set of Wings. I'd highly sugest a sset of 12'. You can get by with a set of 9', but 12' are thebest al around versatility tubes. Now, you ned a quality frame built. Figure out how you want a frame t be built. Once you decided (I'd highly suggest haveing a 2 frame setup. One fo single man, the one for a doublyou ever do decide to run 2 people. Now, give Osprey on here a call, an have him build a cuustom cataraft frame. He builds a good, if not thebest cataraft frame you'l ever seen. I have a custom cataraft whitewater frame system built over 12 years ago by somone wh was one f best in industry. Well, I'd have to say Ospereys is beter by far. Get in touuch with him and he'l lead you theright way.

If you ever have a problem, or question, let me knnow.
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 10:42 PM

PD-
If you want an all around kick ass pontoon boat that will take on very rough water yet is till very packable look towards the Outcast Pac 900. It is a 9 footer with stainless steel powedercoated frame, and heavy duty welded seam pontoons. Spend the extra $150 and get the the Cataract oars and you will be all set.

I'm not sure of the exact price but with the upgrade oars you are looking at around $1300 for a boat that can be put together in 5 minutes and can run some nasty whitewater. I have ran the Hoh from Spruce Creek all the way down to 101 in that boat without a problem. That section may not have terribly difficuly water but I have little epxerience on the oars and it got me through that water very easily.

Outcast is a division of Puma/Aire and stands behind their product. The 900 comes with a 10 yr. warranty.

Outcast Boats

Now I we just need to sit back and wait for 69'er to pop in and tell us how Outcasts suck and to buy a cataraft. [edit]Damn it! He beat me to it!![/edit]

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: RPetzold ]
Posted by: ctflyfish

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 11:00 PM

The best of the pontoon boats are great for most applications, but I have used a Watermaster (oblong tube) for the past 15 years and it has some advantages: packs totally-including fins and oars-in its own carry bag which is packable and airline shipable; weighs only 33 pounds; easy to ship by helicopter and simple to set up.
Downside is that the best pontoon boats can take heavier water. I have had my Watermaster down some class III without a problem. Happy hunting.

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/27/02 11:08 PM

Steelheader69,

Ball park figure on how much it'll cost with your idea?? Money shouldn't be a problem when the time comes to buy, but still wanna know ahead of time what it'll set me back. laugh

Does ANYONE know what the smallest Aires Puma RAFT is? BK informed me that they're pretty bad a$$. I believe there's a picture of one under the "New Boats" section in the last STS. I think it's called the "Super Puma", if I remember right. Looks a little big to carry (the pink one pictured in STS), so I was wondering if they make one that's smaller. Kinda like the raft design better than the pontoon. Anyone out there own both at one point, that can give me the pro's and con's vs. one another???

Thanks guys,

James (PD)

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 01:14 AM

Oh come on Sparkey, it'll be alright. Plus, all I said was that there's a difference, one's a pontoon boat and the other is a cataraft. Each has their bennies. Now, a cataraft is a kick butt machine and a pontoon boat smells like a butt laugh ROFL. Just kidding. But they both have their places. I have told people to actually buy a pontoon boat. Only because it's not warranted to spend the type of money for a cataraft when you don't need it. Like buying a Ferrari for a chase vehicle when you can EASILY get by with a moped (but hey, would cut the commute from Oxbow to Minnie down to about 2 minutes smile ). I ran my Outcast on solid class 3's, borderline class 4's. Can it be done, yes. Is it advised, ummm nope. Plus, like you said Ryan, it all depends on your oarsmanship. The oxbow is a piece of cake for someone experienced, a bit technical for someone new.

Now, he wants a boat you can stand up and fish from. So Outcasts are out of the picture (except the 12' and that's only for the front passenger). You have the money to spend, go with something good. I'd say, and Osprey can give you an exact figure, somewhere in the $2500-$3500 range, all depending on what you put on it and how intriquet you make your frame. Can be more and less. It really depends on oars you want, type of frame design (multi piece or single). Options.

The Steelheader is an awesome boat if you want a premade fishing boat. But if you want to customize and get exactly what you want, have one built.
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 11:43 AM

Have fun packing a pontoon boat, frame and all around some of the jams in our rivers. Watermaster if huge water is not a concern.
Posted by: Dave Jackson

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steelheader69:
I have told people to actually buy a pontoon boat.

Yeah? I've told people to go to Hell, but that doesn't make it a prime vacation destination.
Posted by: Osprey

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 12:29 PM

Hey Cuz rolleyes

OK since price is no object...."The perfect One man Boat" ......Is not a Raft!!!!!
They are slugs compared to Cats eek
First
1 set of 12'Wing Inflateables Cat tubes with top and bottom chafe.

1 piece White water fishing frame with double top rails (more storage and adds more strength to frame design)
Stand up platform is Honey comb titainium flooring.(The Best)
Remote anchor system.
9' set of Cataract Oars

retail costs will be around 2500-3500.could be more depending on Frame material and how much someone wants to charge you for a Custom Boat wink

Nothing handles like real cataraft...they are the Sports cars of the River

Oh Sparky....sorry dude that one ain't it rolleyes
.................Os
Posted by: Extreme

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 02:46 PM

James,
I have owned both a raft and a pontoon boat in one-man versions. You wanted feedback on both, here is my $.02:
The raft: It was a Tote-"N"-Float. When Personnal Watercrafts first showed up about 10 yrs ago, this was one of the few around I could find. I think it was around $600, 8 years ago, fully equiped. This meant anchor system, pump, oars, everything. It was light enough to haul around with no problem but I never carried my rods put-together with me on the same trip I was carring the boat around an obstacle. If the rods were broke down, no problem. Ya had to wear neoprenes and ya sat low in the water. This made your butt into a depth finder, ouch! It was slow
to row which made getting out of tidewater areas (Feeders to LaCenter) tiring. It handled Heissen to Lewisville with no problem but I always ended up soaked. It was not very reponsive which meant you had to plan yor moves waaaaaaay in advance. I sold it after one year for the following....

The pontoon boat: Bucks Bag Bronco. Bought it about 7 yrs ago. With everything (Anchor system, waterproof storage, oars, etc) it was about $1000. The tubes are bladder types and are 8 ft long. Lots of controversy over bladder types of pontoons. Anyway, it worked for me as I never had a problem with the pontoons. The frame was awesome. You ended up drier as you sat up higher out of the water. With your feet in the braces, rowing hard, low tide, you could be out of the Feeders in LaCenter within 20 minutes. Very responsive boat and quite a fishing machine. It was heavier than the raft for carrying around crap but not too bad. I even ran it from Sunset Falls down, walking it around the bad spots. It did the Trestle rapids though.
There are lots of options in boats available now that weren't there even as recently as 8-10 yrs ago. A guy can find the cheap boats on sale at GI Joes for < $300. Ya break it, ya buy another. Plus ya can buy two cheap so your buddy can go along.
My $.02,
x

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 05:34 PM

Hey Extreme, whatdaya do when you came up on Horeshoe falls?? Being the biggest waterfall on the EF, obviously you had to walk around... How was carrying your pontoon boat around it? Been in that area, and it was a serious pain in the a$$ to walk around the falls without a boat! eek eek
I do like staying dry though, good point...

Osprey, 12' of pontoon might be much to "pack" around a over-sized sweeper. Also, this personal watercraft must be able to maneuver in smaller rivers, I mean small!! But also has to be able to take on some decent whitewater.

Cuz??? Thanks, Brah. laugh laugh laugh

Keep em coming, getting a lot of good info so far!

Much aprreciated,

James

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Drift:
Osprey, 12' of pontoon might be much to "pack" around a over-sized sweeper. Also, this personal watercraft must be able to maneuver in smaller rivers, I mean small!! But also has to be able to take on some decent whitewater.

That is why you want a Pac 900...I can guarentee you will love this boat!!
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 05:56 PM

i was lookin in the ads of sts and saw an add for Drift Lite Boats they are 1 or 2 man DB's that can fit in the back of a pickup truck.
Tyler

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 06:21 PM

It's not the Titanic Boys eek
sure you can't pack it on you're back and you ain't runnin anything tuff on that Outcast of Sparky's.

I run a smaller frame for small rivers.When I've had to pack my larger set up... more than once, I just drag it.Damn shoulda went left there $@!#@*)(&**.

Being 6 miles from you're rig because you're little pontoon boat sprung a leak or you broke the frame eek

I've seen all these horror stories before.

You asked for our opinions ,that's mine.
I'd rather have more boat than I need,other wise buy an Outcast.
.....Os

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 06:27 PM

In five years of working a tackle shop and selling pontoon boats, both Bucks and Outcast, I have never seen an Outcast pontoon returned because of a leak and I have never ever seen a tweaked frame on an Outcast of any sorts. If either of these scenarios were to take place, we would be the first to hear about it.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: RPetzold ]
Posted by: fishhead5

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 06:42 PM

Is this going to be anything like Jig Wars???? eek eek

Fishhead5
Posted by: dcrzfitter

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 08:04 PM

Ok this is my 2 bits on the pontoon thing. I am biulding a 16' Cat.(and allmost done!!!) now that is a big one!!! these lil 12 ' things are NOT big!!!!I call them kittens they are allright for 1 or 2 guys. I tried to fish off a 10' outcast. I hated it. every time you shift yer body the boat turned. it made it very hard to drift and fish. all it was for is getting from one gravel bar to the next. it was fun to float in but NOT for fishing. I would say the 12' boat that O's has is just fine for 1 guy. I would go with WING or SOTAR Tubes. have a custom frame biult and you will be happy.

As for a raft? get real!! those things are like drag racing with a train!!! they go where the river pushes them.

If money is seriously no biggy then go with the Helicoter thing!!!!! screw the boat and fly. laugh I think that is my next project. :p

dc eek
Posted by: Extreme

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 08:23 PM

James,

That day in upper EF I was following a buddy in his kayak. It was a combo whitewater/fishing trip in late winter and we were traveling light. I normally don't like to fish the EF so far up as I feel those fish have earned their peace making it that far. It was more of a scenic tour as I had never done it before nor since. My buddy ran everything in the EF that day, still does, while there were several spots I couldn't/wouldn't. Horseshoe was one of them. The Bucks Bag Bronco is 32 lbs - empty. The way the frame was I could rest it on my shoulders, fully assembled and "Back-pack" it with the stern up. You could also rope it around some of the stuff. The roughest water I ran with it had to be the Trestle area. I stayed in the thing and hugged the south side. I got wet but I was still sitting on the boat at the bottom. That didn't always work out so well for me in some of the rapids.
The Bronco was an excellent size pontoon boat for what I liked to do. I sold it to one of the guys on here not too long ago. I have messed around some with kayaks lately but don't enjoy them as much - too bloody cold/wet!
x

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/28/02 09:32 PM

Yeah, iit's boat wars on here. A 12' isn't that big. Yes, it's biger then a 9' andheavier then an outcast, but they are very easy to drag (and designed to TAKE th abuse of dragging).

Ryan, I think since Outcast has dropped their ratings over the yeas, is probably why you don't see the frames tweaked. I've personally have seen a half dozen tweak, an Ii've had my own Outcast 10 years ago creak and twist (but lluckily not snap/fold) on a class 4. I knnw alot of my budies up north in my old whitewatering club would use ther hardcore boats running the hard water. May be wy you dn't see any boats comme in. Most guys (even if it's nly abotu $1000) take thir investments and run them in anything over a class 3.

Ok, I'd say again, and reconfirm what Os said, that a 12' boat is the way to go. But if you want a smaler portable boat. Then here's thedeal. You wnt a boat you can stand up and fish from. Right?? Then rule out the Outcasts. Buy a 9' Steelheader from Skokum. It's a cataraft grade boat and you can STAND UP AND FISH!!!!! (DISCLAIMER) I run an Aire. And yes Outcast has Aire build their tubes. But Aire builds their tubes to OUTCASTS specs (including design and strenght of tube material). Doesn't make it sa quality, just makes it from same manufacturer (example, Chevy makesa chevette and it makes the K5 Blazer, but since they are both Chevys, does it make tem both the same design and built th same???) Sure, you could drive a chevete off the main road, an go running logging roads with it, but wouldn't you rather have a 4WD???

You have the money, have a custo boat built. You CAN"T stand up and fish from an Outcast. I do believe Wing has a 10' set of tubes, but seriously speaking, you'l love a 12' set of tubes. I've owned DB's, kayaks, ponton boats, catarafts, an have run many styles of pontoon boats, catarafts, B's, and Rafts. (Most of y cataraft/Raft running was almost exclusively whitewatering during the mid/late 80's). Heck, why buy an outcast?? You can run alot more water and outfit a Kayak to suit your needs. You can even run Clas 5's (I have in akayak on the upper Nisqualy). You've said what you want, and you'l be more suited to a cataraft. If all else fails, tallk with Osprey, and check out his 12' Wing. Then you'l see how "'big" his boat realy is. Now my 16' Aire, it' a monster. LOL

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/29/02 01:30 PM

Ok let me explain wink
he asked for the ultimate one-man boat..peroid
Haveing a boat to fish off is the key!!!!other wise use a float tube.
If I'm gonna spend the bucks I want something I can anchor and fish off any where I want to,if it just gets me from point to point,I'm missing water that if I could fish.
Sure you can stand up on 9'...scary
Heck I've fished off the front of a 13' outcast eek ...never again.
even the smaller boats have anchors,but just because you're anchored doesn't solve this problem,on a smaller boat you don't have a good angle to view the water you want to fish,you can't see structure or the bottom or the fish rolleyes
Thats why you need to be able to stand...(safely)

If being able to put the thing on you're back and hike is the key then you're missing the boat wink (jk)
Because It needs to be able to handle everything you want to throw at it.

Argueing with Sparky on this topic......No thanks
I've got shoes older than him rolleyes
Posted by: 'Head hunter

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/29/02 02:11 PM

I'm looking for a pontoon boat, too. The criteria is to supplement the drift boat, (but not replace it), fish different water, and pre-explore rivers I wouldnt go to just blindly.
So the partner and I went to the sportsmen's show for a look-see, and of the 3 or 4 displays there, the one we kept coming back to was the Skookum rafts. Their Steelheader and Osprey models have the best looking features; general ruggedness, and safety I think we're looking for. Their 10' pontoons are 19" dia. and look really tough, and the boats come fully equipped for a very competitive price. They also have great-sounding load capacities.
There are some down sides, though. I'd hoped to be able to just throw it into the back of the pickup, tie it down and go. They're too wide. The longer and wider boat will be tough to get into some places like beaver ponds, smaller streams, etc. Standing on the platform could face plant you into the river, if it takes a lurch.
Over-all, though, I can see myself on one of the Skookums over the others.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/29/02 02:29 PM

After you decide which pontoon boat to buy, you will need to determine which HOOKS ARE BEST to fish from it laugh wink
Posted by: outliketrout

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/29/02 03:48 PM

Perfectdrift:

It appears as though you are leaning towards the smaller boats (less than ten feet). Just to let you know there are many of these boats sold on e-bay, in fact there is even the exact boat sparky is talking about on there now. Also, just so that you know these smaller boats are a pain in the butt to fish off, and are really only for transportation from gravel bar to gravel bar.

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/29/02 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the input guys!! smile Learning a lot here regarding inflatables.

Osprey, sounds like you make one mean boat that is top of the line. However, fishing while standing isn't the priority. Getting into areas on smaller rivers and creeks (example: Naselle-upper and lower, Elochoman, etc. *Please note* these are just expamples of smaller watersheds that I might float, or other drainages that resemble these in size. Some might even be SMALLER, especially during lower water conditions) where I cannot get to by foot, is. A lot of these creeks, will probably have many sweepers and log jams where I have no choice but to walk around. Outliketrout said it best, "gravel bar to gravel bar". Most of the fishing will be done by pulling off to the side, hopping out, and working the stretch in that fashion. Now you know what a good percentage of areas I'll be floating. But....

If were to decide I'd like to fish the uppper Sol Duc, Hoh, or other river with more size during moderate/lower water conditions. Is there a PWC that can do both. Like I've mentioned before, if a stretch of whitewater on a larger river is too much for it, I once again can walk around it. But if I decide that I willing to oar through it, is there a PWC that can do the smaller rivers, yet handle decent whitewater??? We are not talking CLASS V's here..... rolleyes But it has to be of good quaility, that's why I mentioned money isn't the major concern.

Does such a PWC exist? Small, lightweight, rugged, yet stable enough to handle some rougher water?? How much does the 9' weigh O's??

Thanks,

James

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/30/02 11:28 AM

Perfect Drift great questions!
I've built a few small frames like you discribed for a set of Wing 10'(the best tubes around) they are not a huge diameter something around 16-17" ,But these tubes were designed for white water,so depending on the frame componets you want,i.e anchor system,some way to stand up (not what you think),etc etc. I assume you'll be around 40-50lbs maybe less.These smaller frames have their place just like you've discribed.I won't go into design features here,thats what make my frames so unique;)
The boat has to fit you're needs,good luck....Os

btw as far as an over the counter boat for what do what I'd look at the Steelheader,
IMHO he has a few design flaws.....
That's why I built my own:D

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/30/02 07:33 PM

If money is no object buy two boats. One like the Watermaster or Abel Travelcraft (the new versions have much larger tubes than the old toten'float described above and sit WAY higher out of the water and track very nicely on rivers up to class III) that are self contained for packability (ifn' and when you want to bushwack that 1/2 mile into the upper part of a great drift otherwise unnaccessible...try packing an stainless frame, 8 ft. tubes and your gear 4-plus miles up the Queets in one shot). It just gives you the option of fishing less pressured water with ease. For the other rig, have Os' make you a killer type IV chewer that can pack the farm with it with no worries.

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/30/02 09:40 PM

Great replies gentlemen!!! Keep em coming! Another question for all, O's, Sparky, ctflyfish, and the rest.

Let's say your floatin the upper Duc during lower water flows and you get "high centered" or pinned up against a rock, which slides better over the top, a raft style PWC, or a pontoon??

Thanks

James laugh

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/30/02 11:29 PM

PD-
I do not have any personell experience in rafts and I do not have alot when it comes to being pinned on rocks and such but I have had a couple nasty experiences.

The Pac 900 because it sits so high in the water it slides right over rocks plus it has a very very low center of gravity so they are very difficult to tip. When I have rowed boulder gardens, I do not find it necassary to row around all the rocks. Many times I just give one hard push on the oars, hit the rock and spin off.

One time on the Upper Hoh, coming into the Upper Canyon, there is a very nasty short section where there is heavy brush against the one bank that has the good current and free of rocks while the the rest of it is littered with VW Bug sizes rocks. The drop into it is very steep yet shallow and has an incredible amount of flow.

Anyways, as I was coming down, I was planning the bst way to pick through the boulders. I was not paying attention to the oars and accidently lodged the right oar between two rocks. The boat spun broadsize to the current and totally pinned me against the oar with full current pushing against the left side of the boat. The left pontoon came completely out of the water and the boat pivoted around the oar almost 180 degrees and shot me into the run backwards.

After that experience, I realized these boats are incredibly difficult to tip especially considering they weigh around 50 pounds. The amount of current forced against that boat was incredible and if that boat was to of ever have tipped that would have been the time.

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/31/02 01:12 AM

Well, the raft style at least gives you the opportunity to bounce of the obstacle before it is right under your arse. There is several spots on the Queets we've purposely seen how the two styles of boats (Watermaster and Pontoon) would act in that situation (taking into consideration every situation has many variables coming at you QUICKLY) and we could not get the Watermaster to stick on the rock...it glanced one way or the other. But, I wan't operating the pontoon and don't ever get in one anymore since I have the other rig.
I'll agree that in heavier situations the longer pontoons would serve you better, but tailor your purchase to what you'll be fishing the most and go from there. There was an Abel Travelcraft on the virtual flyshop, brand new, for around $700 bucks the other day. Regular price is $1300. I also know of a new Watermaster Kodiak (the 8foot boat with BIG tubes and large carrying capacity with motor mount, upgraded Carlises, all the bells and whistles that is being sold at dealer cost). Email me if you want the phone # for the shop.
Posted by: nwsteel

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/31/02 11:58 AM

Great info! I too have been thinking about buying a pontoon.

RP, is the Fishcat 9' Deluxe model comparable to the PAC 900? What class of Rapids can each handle? Does the Fishcat also carry a 10 yr. warranty? To me the 2 boats look very similar, in structure and design, but I would value your opinion since you mentioned that you sell these.

My second question is about fishability. Can you drag a small anchor from these (thru swift water)and pull plugs or divers all day long as you would do in a drift boat. What size rope/anchor would you recommend?

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 01/31/02 06:19 PM

I have never been in that situation,fishing solo,Got hung up once fishing 2 guys,(go on a diet Danny) wink but we were just pinned against a rock in low flows,a little wiggling and we were clear ,with all my gear and me 6'- 205 it still only draws maybe 3-4 ",and the wonerful thing about urethane is when it gets wet it gets slick,I have abused my boat I normally drag it,it has been across blackberrys and 1 barb wire fence(that I know of) rolleyes
That pac 900 is Ok if you don't weight much.

I have soo much confidence in my boat,I look for tuff stuff,why go around when you can just go thru.......Os

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 12:54 AM

nwsteel-
I could not tell you the exact differances between the FishCat and Outcast as we only sold there for a short period of time a couple years (too many problems with the Fishcat). I can guarentee you though that the FishCat does not have the 10 year warranty as the Pac 9, which is the midrange model, has only a 3 yr warranty.

Do not buy the FishCats...you will regret it.

If you are concenred about money look towards the Bucks Bag SouthFork or the Outcast Pac 9.

Trust me...

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 01:01 AM

dangnabitt Os', these Watermasters put me so high outa the water they've compromised my diet plan...I'm gonna have to only go down to 265 to sit 8 inches outa the water!!
Posted by: JimB

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 01:43 AM

The most awesome watercraft is soon to be unveiled! Can't wait!

Jim

My .02 anyway!

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 04:01 PM

Chucker-Ducker,hope you're diet works for Ya,I just went for the "Big boy" from the start,

"The most awesome watercraft is soon to be unveiled! Can't wait!" confused

Too late Jim it's been at my house for a few years now
rolleyes ............Os

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 04:56 PM

I've run some pretty haiiry water, back when I was running cats only for whitewatering. Every boat is susceptible to being pinned and stuck, just that an inflatable has the ability tobreak loose ad pop to srface once you're ejected/broke free (whereas an aluminum/glass/wood boat will be stuck on the bottom). I've personaly have been pinned and stuck too many times to remember. Between runing flaming geyser on the upper Green to parts of the Toutle and everything inbetween (and a few up north and south) I've been in some hairy situations.

The situation Sparkey is talking about is a meneuvering situation. You can be pinned for second on an inflatable in the bouulder garden on the Hoh, but a few pulls of one oar and you'l be ppulled by current (whereas I've seen a glass driftboat iin same place get sucked under and stuck because of non boouyancy). It's really dictated on the tube design and frame design how you'll faiir iin a situation like that. YES, an Outcast and any other boat can be flipped and tossed around depending on situation. Floating the Nooch on high water, came around a corner in my old Pac 9 (before they had the900) and my Dad was in his Outcast. He tok the slot to wide and got nailed up next to bank. Only thing keeping him from flipin over was thtahe was holding abranch for dear life. One tube was out of water next to bank and his othe tube was submerged by pressure of te high water ripping around the corner. I had ony one shot, came by him, slamed into his boat, an grabbed his anchor rope and foated aay from hiim. Went tooposite baank and pulled him free.... BARELY. I've hit class 4 hydraulics with my 16' cat on whitewater trips thtasucked my boatup to th oarlocks the ejected th boat literally airborne from th pressure. I ppersonally have never flipped my boat, but i kknow guys who have had their 16 AND 18 foot cats flipped runing clas 4's. Now clas 5's. I've only ran class 5's in a kayak, only clas 5 i've ever dne in my cat was on the Iiciicile, an t was a verticle drop of about 12' over aspilway. Almost toppled bot over, ut can be done with a bigger cat becauuse of teh length. It's really what predicament you're in dictates if you get out ok. I've had friends in kayaks thtahave spiled into clas 5's and neve came back up. THee i a cuople slots in te upper Nisqually tha have claaimed a few people I kknw.

Iis there a perfect all around boat?? Nope, they all have thir plusses and minuses. But th closest thing yo'll find is a whitewater grade cataraft. The biger and harrier the water, th biger cat you'l want. You hit big water on the big whitewater rivers, the more tube you have eating the run the more stability you'll have. Say it this way. The slot Ryan was talking aboout on the Hoh. In my 9' Steelheader ii was a kick in the pants. It ate it up fine, but had to keep active and as bonced a bit. Now, run i in my 16' Aire, and it loses it's flair. The upper Duc is alot more fun in my 16', gives more oof a chalenge. Hit water like upper stretches of mos rivers (Rogu, Gren, Nisqually, Icicle, Sky, etc) then you'll want a bigger boat. Most one man whitewateers wil run usually a minimum of a 14'. Some may g as low as 12'. Most guys I knew, and they're buddies in th NWRA, woul run 16+ lenght. Tha's on big wate mind you, say like th Colorado and th likes. Most waters here ii Washington/Oregon tha most of us fish won't need a huge vessel unless you want a multimaa boat to fih from. Ii run a 16' first because I laready had it and converted to fising from, an second it' perfect for running 3 wit ALOT of room to fish from. I'll be building a 12' pretty soon for my perfect 1-2 man fishing boat. Will have the ultimate frame built by theultimate frame builder Osprey. smile
Posted by: JimB

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 05:46 PM

Os,
When did it get to your house?? Dang I just saw it at ******'* house two days ago...hmmm

Seriously Os...I mentioned your name as someone that may be willing to be resourced some on this project.

If you get a chance call me on my cell, sometime between 3:30 today and 8.

Thanks,

Jim
Posted by: seadeep

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 07:49 PM

Is there anyplace that rents some of these catarafts or such? It would be nice to take one out for the day to see if it's what I'm looking for...

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/01/02 08:07 PM

I'm more then willing to take anyone out and let them run my cat. When I get my other one built I can rn more thn oe at once andlet you all run testruns. All Ii ask is thtayou pay for gas, and maybe throw in some nail polish pink okies laugh

Re: Best one man watercraft? - 02/02/02 01:06 PM

Oops Sorry Jim wink Just got back on I'll call Ya

Thanks St69er laugh

Everyone has certain needs as far their Infateables are concernd rolleyes rolleyes

I had the chance to fish a lot of different Boats before I knew what I wanted.

There is just something about Riding a Cataraft......If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand....... cool ..Os