Has anyone seen........

Posted by: Sol Duc

Has anyone seen........ - 01/28/02 09:24 PM

I was wondering if anyone has seen or used those slinkies that you tie between your leader and main-line.They have a swivel on each end of the slinky and are used,kinda like (inline weight) i seen them the other day at outdoor emporium.They claim they are less snagy then slinkies used in the more common way?? Any thoughts on these? Thanks Ron
Posted by: UltimateFeashKacher

Re: Has anyone seen........ - 01/28/02 10:24 PM

For drift fishing, I think it will give your lure (bait) a more erratic movement because both ends of the slinky are tied to your line. This erratic movement can be be bad in general and good at times. I have used the in-line method for floats but not for drift fishing.
Posted by: B. Gray

Re: Has anyone seen........ - 01/29/02 02:01 PM

I think it's another method for float fishing we've imported from our neighbors to the north. The only time I've seen them used is under a float to give your worm something like a drift-fishing presentation. Some of the Forks guides use them on their float rods.

Bruce
Posted by: Metalhead Mojo

Re: Has anyone seen........ - 01/30/02 03:12 AM

how strong is a slinky used inline like that? do they have a rated breaking strength? or should a piece of mono or braid be used along with the slinky?
Posted by: UltimateFeashKacher

Re: Has anyone seen........ - 01/30/02 05:00 AM

I think it all depends on how much of the slinky material your swivel is grabbing and how well you have sealed your slinky. I make my own and I use 2 snap swivels. I stick the "snap" part into the slinky (grab a piece of the material) at each end and use the "eye" part to tie my line. In general It is strong and it will not be your weakest link. As I said before I use it with floats and not for American drift fishing.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Has anyone seen........ - 01/30/02 12:56 PM

I've been using an in-line slinky for a bit whn I'm float fishing and have been very happy. It seems to reduce tangles that sometimes occur when using split shot on the line and you get a "whirly-bird" type of cast.

Drift fishing ... I think I'll pass, thank you smile