Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ????

Posted by: elkrun

Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 08:33 PM

Time to replace the old waders. Seems I only get about a year and a half on the neoprenes. Need some opinions on what is best. Is Gore-tex really that much tougher? Anyone have the cabelas gore-tex? Cant bring myself to spend the dough on Simms Guidewear. I am hard on waders and looking for durability and of course warmth. I also need wading boots as well. Felt or felt/studs? Any preferences?
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 08:47 PM

i think gore-tex is tougher but colder too
my .02
Posted by: Dr Pepper

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 09:03 PM

I've got breathable waders and I think they are really nice. In the winter time I just put long johns and sweatpants on underneath and I'm okay unless I'm standing in the water for a long time. I'd get neoprenes if all I did was fish in the winter. For year round I think breathables are the way to go. The brand I have is "Rafters". The only place I've seen them is at Swains in Port Angeles. I've had them for about 2 years and they are starting to leak finally. I've never tried the studded felt wading boots. Whatever you do don't buy the cheap canvas felt wading boots. I've got some Hodgman Bantam weights ( I think that's what they are called) and they are nice. They costed $50 and it was a way better deal than the $30 canvas kind that wear out really fast.

~ Dr Pepper
Posted by: Crayfin

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 09:09 PM

I woudl have to second the thought on breathable and neos. I go through a set in about the same time as you and I finally broke down and decided to have a pair of both. I cannot give up the warmth of neoprene for winter fishing and they kinda suck for summer fishing and when you walk alot on those winter days. I dont spend alot of time standing waist deep ion the river, but when you do..............BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

As for shoes, I would say go with the studs, they ROCK! I have a pair of Danners and they are awesome boots (pricey @ $120) but they have lasted far better than ANY of the others. I went to get them resoled at the outlet and they said 4 weeks so I bought another set. I almost never wear my boots that are only felt soled. You will not be disappointed. Word of caution though.....they do begin to jab you in the foot a little if you're doind a ton of walking--worth it for the traction by far!
Posted by: EggsGuy

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 09:18 PM

Where did you find the danner studed boots for $120? they list at $160.oo

thanks,.
EGG'S
Posted by: Diana

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 09:44 PM

I've had them both and like the breathable guide pants better than the neoprenes. The neos fit too tight if it's really cold out and I wear alot of layers. They remind of why I hated panty hose....not that you'd relate to that, tho one never knows.

The guide pants are great. Hubster got me a pair for Christmas. They fit loose and with a pair of longies under thin pants, they "slip" within the layers so they don't bind up.

Get felts with studs....you can pull a boat load of fat fishermen upstream without a problem and they'll appreciate not having to get out and walk. It will make you the most popular oarsman on the river. laugh

diana
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 10:52 PM

The Wader Terrorist speaks...
Do not buy neoprene, first of all. Anyone who says the breathable waders are too cold in the winter has no idea how to properly layer. I wear a pair of Simms fleece-lined long underwear and over that I wear a pair of Simms fleece sweats. I never get cold...on those really cold days though, I have a pair of lined nylon lightweight pants that I wear. Never ever do I get cold.

I stay totally comfortable in the winter and never get too hot in the summer.

Now onto brands...if you want to spend the big bucks get a pair of Simms Guidemodels. They are $375 but very well worth it. I've got almost two years on mine and have had a couple minor intermittent leaks but nothing that has ever brought me to search them out and patch 'em.

If you want to spend less money, you can either go with the Simms Lightweights or the Bailey's Lightweights or Bailey XTH's. I have never seen pair of the Simms Lightsweights come back and they run $199. The Bailey's Lightweights run $199 as well..we've had 2 pairs come back but we've also sold atleast 100 pairs of these buggers. The Bailey's XTH's are a wonderful wader as they are a heavier ply then the Lightweights in the legs and like the Lightweights they have built in gravel guards and a built in wading belt. They run $295. Both Bailey's come complete with a limetime warranty which we will perform over the counter for you. The two pairs that we had come back, we gave brand new waders over the counter no questions asked. You can not beat that!!
Posted by: rc

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/29/02 11:50 PM

In researching breathable waders I came across this interesting article about a controversial report which compares the breathability and durability of some of the leading brands: www.flyshop.com/centers/INDUSTRY/10-99GORE/
I'm leaning towards Patagonia breathables because they're such a great company with a "no questions asked" return policy.

Ron

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 12:00 AM

2 things to not about that report...it was done 2 and a half years ago (alot has changed in 2 years) and secondly the results do not match personell experience.

I can tell you the Tailwater's are the biggest piece of crap breathable ever sold...hence the reason they went out of business and yet they were rated 2nd highest durability. On the other hand, the Bailey's which I have found to be incredibly durable were given a very low rating. confused
Posted by: slash

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 12:49 AM

Go with the breathables! Like Ryan said, if you layer your clothes properly you won't get cold. I would also spend the extra money and get the studded felt bottom shoes. I didn't and wished I had the first time out. Worth the extra cash not to fall on your butt shocked !
Posted by: papafsh

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 01:34 AM

Breathables at by far the best way to go. I've said this before, I know, but that's the truth. With fleece pants, shirt's and socks cold is not a problem. the best advantage is not feeling like your in a sausage casing. I have two pair of neoprenes, medium size, stored away in a box, anybody wants to buy them e-mail me. cool
Posted by: Loco_Dingo

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 01:42 AM

I have both and use both. Hunting the island of the Snake river looking for ducks and pheasant means a lot of bushwacking that is far too hard on the breathable. Neoprene waders are easy to repair and so cheap that if I really trash a pair it doesn't matter that much. Breathables are great for all the reasons mentioned above and also are much lighter. I've backpacked in the Winds with waders and a lightweight float-tube. Neoprenes would have added a couple more lbs.
Posted by: UltimateFeashKacher

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 01:48 AM

I have had Orvis Silver Label (No sweats) for several years. Last 2 years I used for 30 straight days each year in Alaska. $195.00 plus a good warranty (4 years, 1st year 100%, 2nd 75%, 3rd 50%, 4th 25%). No leaks, highly recommend it. In summer time is nice and cool. Winter time I wear a few layers with it.
Posted by: RockLizard

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 01:56 AM

Another vote for breathable's here. The only time I wear neo's anymore is when my breathables have not dried from the previous trip. The only part that ever gets cold for me is the feet, and that happens when I use my neo's as well (think I need a larger boot for layering up).
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 02:15 AM

There is a Danner outlet in Portland that I bought a pair of studded river grippers last yaer for $108. They are seconds but I can't tell why. I coat the stitching with thinned aqua seal (reccommended by some of my guide friends) and have had no problem with them.

The Orvis Pro-Guide breathables are a tough material. Retail for $265 but can be found for less on the auction sites. I never had any leaks in two years of heavy use in the SW Wash brush and wire piles along the rivers. However, I did fall and tear a hole in the outer layer of the double knee. When I called for advice on repairing the knee they told me to send them back and they promptly put a new pair in the mail for me (they had been put through the paces). Customer service seems good through Orvis on that product. I'd reccommend these waders to anyone.

Watch out for the Patagonia SST breathables. Reports are that they virtually melt when coming in contact with any DEET based product. Ryan might have more info on that.

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 02:26 AM

Mr. Lizard-
If you are having trouble with your breathables drying trying treating them with Revivex. Revivex brings back the water repleccent in Gore-Tex and other breathable fabrics.
If it very easy to use and your waders will almost surely dry much faster.

CnD-
I have heard similar reports inregards to the SSTs and DEET but I have not heard any detailed reports in regards to the severity of this problem and what Patagonia's customer service does to rectify the problem.
Posted by: rc

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 10:50 AM

Thanks guys for the heads-up about Patagonia SST Breathables not being DEET resistant. I'll check it out and let you know if I find out anything conclusive.

Ron

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 01:09 PM

EGGS---I would call the Danner outlet store in Portland--that is where you get them for $120.00

The number is (503) 251-1111

just ask if they have your size. They will take your card number and send them to you! smile
Posted by: ltlCLEO

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 02:58 PM

Rp,
Am I right in guessing you are wearing around $600. in wading gear? eek
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 03:11 PM

I have neoprenes, light weight, waders and in the winter I use hip boots. I don't get in water deeper than my knees. I haven't found that I need to get in any deeper. I can always hit the other bank if I have enough weight on. If I fell down I would still probly still get wet with neoprenes on. So much for waders. Jim S.

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 04:20 PM

I am with you Old Man.I wear hip boots and wool pants durring the winter!The hikes I do,you get to hot in anything else!during the summer I wear a pair of carharts cut off right below the knee pading and my hiking boots.My wife loves when I wear thenm around town!Everybody that goes with in the summer always insist on wearing there neos and end up with borderline heat exaustion and wetter on the inside than I got all day.
Posted by: EggsGuy

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 04:36 PM

Thanks Crayfin called them a bit a ago and the lady said that they were the 2nd quality boots,,,the first quality are $160.oo.
thanks

EGG'S
Posted by: PhishPhreak

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 05:15 PM

I use both neo and breathables, but if I had to choose 1 it would have to be breathables!

I got a pair of cabela's for $99 and have been happy. Plus they back up their stuff pretty well.

I don't have studs in my boots yet, but plan to in my next pair. Slipping on the bank when it's muddy is just too common - and a broken rod, leg, or hole in my waders is just an accident waiting to happen.

One reason I like breathables that has not been mentioned yet, is that they tend to fit more loosely, and I can slip them over my work clothes in the morning (for my pre-work fishing fix. Some folks just need coffee...) and not have to worry so much about wrinkles or even sweat like I would with neos.

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 07:41 PM

Eggs---yea, they are second quality but it is almost impossible to find the flaw most of the time. Like I said mine have held up better than anything I have ever tried and they are still going strong! I am having them resoled and I will get another 3 years out of them. I figure buying them cheaper lets me get them resoled for free!

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ltlCLEO:
Rp,
Am I right in guessing you are wearing around $600. in wading gear? eek
Something like that... shocked I do stay very very toasty, warm and dry and do not sweat even if I am putting miles on my wading boots that day. I spend as much time as I can on the rivers, which at times, is alot. So I do what I can to be as comfortable as possible.

I mean think about it...you spend 1/3 of your life sleeping and look at how much you can spend on mattresses to be comfortable...I spend another third of my life fishing so why not be as comfortable as possible? confused
Posted by: ctflyfish

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/30/02 11:52 PM

I own both. I get my high-end Gore Tex from a reputable shop that will exchange them if they fail. My friend returned his Orvis several times in 4 years and they always gave him a new pair, no charge. In winter, I like neoprenes because they provide warmth and also about 9 pounds of floatation, about half as much as a PFD. Two folks I know capsized a raft in January and were stranded on a rock. The one wearing neoprenes lived, the other died of hypothermia. Finally, they are fairly inexpensive. So, I think each has a place.

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/31/02 10:47 AM

Its all good Rp!!!I just got hit with a severe case of sticker shock!After reading your post I went over to siims site and took a look!Looks like some nice sht!!
I do sleep on a $1400.00 bed which I argued against right up to the morning after I slept in it!!! smile
Posted by: T Dodge

Re: Waders- Gore-tex or Neoprene ???? - 01/31/02 01:18 PM

Do Gore Tex waders get as stinky as neoprenes? If so, how do you clean them? I don't own a set of breathables, but they are on my list. Another great advantage I see is that they pack better.

I second all the comments on studded wading shoes. They are like night and day compared to felt-only boots. The only problem I had was getting used to exactly how well they grip. I've almost gone down a couple of times because the studs grip so well I almost went down because of my forward momentum. The only spot I see that warrants extra caution with studs is dry smooth rocks - they are like ice when using studs.