Callin' out all you lurkers!

Posted by: Dogfish

Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/29/02 09:45 PM

Hey! Stop that! Quit lurkin', stop jerkin', and start workin'. Help us out with your info. Share your insights, and pull up a keyboard and chat a while.

Andy
Posted by: Dave Jackson

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/29/02 10:03 PM

It's like being an actor on the state and someone just turned off the front flood lights. Suddenly, I can see all the people out in the audience and I feel...kinda...stunned.
Posted by: ONTHESAUK

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/29/02 10:24 PM

Stunned??? You think someone was listening to you?

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/29/02 10:39 PM

Ouch! He's up against the ropes!
Posted by: Timber

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 01:41 AM

What the hell is the deal with all these lurkers? mad I see over half the names on here that I have never seen a post from mad .Lets get some info goin here guys...Don't just be LURKIN!!!TM
Posted by: aosteelheader

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 02:02 AM

A lot of times I want to post a reply but someone else has already said what I was thinking, or pretty close to it. So I just read on.
Posted by: Seacat

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 09:31 AM

Wow, with the new recent visitors feature, kinda puts a whole new spin on things here doesn't it?

Dogfish, I can understand some of the reluctance though of some of the so called lurkers to join in. How many times have you seen people or have been yourself flamed for various reasons on this board. Doesn't take much for a guy to get jumped around here.

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 11:49 AM

I know, but I know the flamers, and if they read the board a lot, they know the hot buttons to avoid and the people to ignore.

For example posts on Sleds vs. Driftboaters vs. Bankers, don't mention zipper lip streams like Percival Creek in Olympia that empties into Capitol Lake (J/K), anything dealing with the tribes and their right to use nets, commercial fishermen, and what type of hook is best. If they avoid these simple topics, ask a question or two that get a discussion going, or present us with a solution to an issue they they have overcome, I welcome them.

Well, except for that 4x4 guy who keeps on lookin' at naked pics of his mom and sister with his MAC(10) 'puter. wink All but that guy are welcome to post.

Andy
Posted by: Kyle_A

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 12:11 PM

There was a time when this board was a great resource for fishing information. I learned a lot in the first year or so. It seems to have become a replacement for a couple of peoples private email threads to each other. No longer the great source of information it once was. I still take a quick glance daily just to see if someone has posted some good info, or if it's the same couple guys/gals braggin about how great they are and sharing information that should be shared in private mail, not in a public forum. Now go ahead and continue the thread as to "what's up his _ss" and "take a chill dude".

The poster formerly known as Cracker.
Posted by: Dances

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 12:47 PM

Hey TM
Maybe they dont have anything good to say:)
Havent you ever heard the frase(sp) If you dont have anything good to say Dont say anything at all rolleyes But its not like anyone around here ever advideds by that rule anyways wink shocked
Dances Out

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 01:08 PM

The thing is Kyle, you took the time to post. Thanks. Yeah, there are a few cliques here, and a few guys who take but never share. That's society for you. There are also a number who share for the sake of making folks better fishermen.

Bob has shared a great deal, especially on gear selection for conditions. This summer there was tons of sharing on salt water salmon fishing. I asked a question on springer tips this week and got a wealth of information, so sharing does happen. You might not get the name of a zipperlip, but you might get enough clues to figure out how to find your own.

I'm just asking for the lurkers to contribute, heck, even a good joke, cause we could all use a laugh once in a while.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 01:24 PM

My.02 worth,
I've been viewing and sharing info on this board for couple years now. I could of sat back been a lurker and tried to retrieve info that may help me, but instead I contribute knowing with my knowledge that I help people and reality is that feels good. I love seeing others catch fish! But in return I as most all on here won't share all their secrets or favorite places to fish.

Loosen up and share a little, or if you just a beginner don't be afraid to ask..
Keith laugh
Posted by: BERKLEY BOY75

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 01:29 PM

i lurked for awhile cuz i lost my password..so i have a excuse.. laugh
Posted by: ET

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 01:37 PM

I've posted a couple replies but for the most part, I've been a lurker for a couple months now. Problem is, I've only steelheaded a couple times and don't have anything to add. Just looking for info for the next time I might be able to get out and try it again. I read all the posts about nets, hooks, boats, etc... but what more can be added? I look forward to posting my $0.02 about the saltwater fishery this coming year.
Posted by: taoski

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 04:06 PM

I'm with ejthomp and most other smolts. I post when there's somthing I can contribute, and keep ly trap shut when I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't think lurkers are with holding anything, just listening to the experts for a while. Peronally, this is my first steely season, so I still have a lot to learn. When I've gained enough insight and wisdom about the sport, I'll gladly share.
Posted by: Loco_Dingo

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 05:10 PM

I guess what Dogfish and others are looking for from us smolts or lurkers is what I define as "SPAM". I'll contribute when I actually have something to contribute...on the other hand, this reply is a lot like others and therefore is SPAM. Happy now?

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 06:18 PM

So you're saying that you're lame??????? wink

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 06:36 PM

SPAM, or NOISE?
Posted by: LittleBear

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 06:48 PM

'Guess I'll come out from lurking to say "Hello". I'm a Native to Northwestern Waters but haven't been able to get much fishing in 'til the last year or so. I'm afraid I pretty much suck at it, but I'm an avid Steelie and Salmon FISHERMAN (OK... Woman) just not a very good CATCHERMAN. laugh I enjoy reading the posts on here and hope to catch up with some of you on local Rivers one of these days. I'm also big into fly tying... and have only beaten the water with a fly line... hmmmm... three times rolleyes ...that includes at the North Pole! (For real!)
Posted by: fishblood

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 06:51 PM

I have been reading this board for about 6 months now and haven't posted much but thats because I don't know much about the subjects being discussed. I enjoy reading others opinions on issues such as hatchery practices and comercial fishing. when i first came to this board I didn't know enough about these issues to have an informed opinion so i've just listened to what others have had to say while gaining enough information to formulate my own opinions. If I new more about fishing techs i would be glad to share but since I caught my first winter run just this monday I probably don't have much to add. Hopefully as I learn more I will be able to add to the discusions.
Posted by: Crayfin

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 07:49 PM

Kudos for you guys/gals that came out of the shadows! I agree with Dogfish. If you have to glean some information for awhile--tell us how you have done! Tell us a joke smile I have been steelhead fishing since I could carry a rod and I still learn a ton on this board from guys that could no doubt make me look silly!

Anyway---good for you for posting!
Posted by: Fish Chaser

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 08:05 PM

OK here it is. I have been lurking for a long time. I don't have any excuse I just enjoy learning as much as I can, so that my next Pursuit might end up in success. My lurking has paid off, I have learned which books to read on the subject of Steelheading. I appreciate the information that Dave Jackson has posted as well as RT. I have never landed a steelie, I have lost a few. Hopefully as I gain more knowledge and Lurking Time I can add something useful.
Posted by: Loco_Dingo

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 08:21 PM

To Dogfish: The shoe fits and is on my foot.

To DJ: Noise, Spam, elevator music, SuperSonics game...all the same.

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 08:50 PM

Loco, great response! You made me laugh. smile And to you others that have posted, welcome.

Little Bear, keep it up. We need more ladies on the water. Looks like you already spend some time there anyway. AuntyM could use the company.

Andy

Hey Bob, could we work out some kind of commission deal here?
Posted by: Wishiniwasfishin

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/30/02 11:35 PM

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery. Right? OK so I have been a lurker for almost a year. Please don't hurt me. Now that I am a member I can not only learn from some of the masters (no names required), but perhaps add alittle info of my own. Fish sturgeon, salmon, and stealhead on the snohomish system, and know a lot of guys who do as well. I also fish and crab out of Everett. I have a lot on the cowlitz between barrier and blue creek and spen a lot of time down there in the summer. I plan on going down for a couple of springers this year.

This is a great site, and I am glad to be a part of it. F4 sound cool too!!!!
Posted by: Timber

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by danceswithfish:
Hey TM
Maybe they dont have anything good to say:)
Havent you ever heard the frase(sp) If you dont have anything good to say Dont say anything at all rolleyes But its not like anyone around here ever advideds by that rule anyways wink shocked
Dances Out
Tell me how you really feel!!! laugh

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Chaser:
I appreciate the information that Dave Jackson has posted as well as RT.
I posted information? confused

Dad, is that you? eek
Posted by: tommo41

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 01:07 AM

Ok, I've been called a lurker so I posted about red prawns.

Hope it helps someone.
Posted by: spawnout

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 01:34 AM

Well, I came out of the closet (aka, lurkerlocker) what, last week? I didn't jump in here right away as I wanted to read about what was going on and learn some of the rules, so as not to get flamed on my first post for doing something stupid. 15 or so posts so far and I haven't felt any heat yet. What I learned, other than the obvious things already stated, was introduce yourself, and try to add something even if it is just your own twist on things. There are an awful lot of things that we all do besides fishing, many of which are vitally necessary to know about so we can go fishing, things like good excuses, transportation advice, delicious ways to prepare fish so we will be encouraged to go catch more, or even how to make this damn 'puter do what you want it to. So don't be afraid to look around first, but don't be afraid to jump in either laugh
Posted by: Westend's Revenge

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 04:00 AM

Hello All,
I've been reading this board for a couple of years or so. My prime concern has been news and information regarding salmon fishing in the western reaches of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. My wife and I haven't missed a season there for about thirty years. We trolled commercially for a number of years, until we were pretty much forced out of it. We fished from Neah Bay, around cape Flattery, and down to the Umatilla Reef. Nowadays we fish out of Sekiu.
I have no interest in steelhead fishing. From scanning this board I gather that there are enough steelheaders without me. I'm focused on ocean salmon, and we plan to be in Sekiu again this year. It's quite likely that I've met with some of you already, if you've been to Sekiu, and may see you again this coming season. Glad to help, when needed. I'm quite familiar with the area.
Westend's Revenge
Posted by: slash

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 04:56 AM

Hey Dogfish,
Since no one posted a joke for you I will. Will probably get flamed from some people but what the heck.

Secretary of State Powell and Secretary of Defense Rumsfield were sitting in a bar outside the Nation's Capital. A regular customer walked in, ordered a drink, and then noticing the two officials sitting at the end of the bar asked the barman, "Say ,isn't that Powell and Rumfield?" The barkeep replied,"yep that's them."

A few drinks the man walked over to the two and said, "Excuse me, but what are you guys doing here?"

Rumsfield replied,"We're planning World War III."

The man said, "Really? What's going to happen?"

Colin Powell said, "Well we're going to kill 10 million Arabs and one bicycle repairman."

"What?" the man exclaimed. "Why are you going to kill a bicycle repairman?"

Rumsfield turned to Powell and said, "See, I told you no one would give a [Bleeeeep!] about the 10 million Arabs."
Posted by: blackdog

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 10:16 AM

I feel like I'm at an AA meeting or something..."Hello, my name is Blackdog, and I'm a lurker." My biggest problem is I am addicted to steelhead and salmon fishing (as well as deer and elk hunting) but live in Central Oregon, so my opportunities now are limited. Therefore, I now live vicariously through all you jerks who get to fish every freakin day. wink Jealousy can be ugly. I have gotten five days on Oregon rivers so far this year and have hooked over 20 fish, with over half landed. By far my best season in years smile Can't wait until all of you start chasing springer soon so when I get the chance to sneek over the mountains, there won't be as much pressure on the rivers for catching some nasty natives laugh laugh

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 11:32 AM

Hey Westend,

Where do you usually stay when you are up at Sekiu? I ended up fishing about 16 days up there last year, and we may have bumped into each other. Slim chance, but it has hapened before.

Andy
Posted by: fish4steel

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 07:09 PM

Slash.............
TOOOOOO FUNNY!! (and a good point too)
Posted by: Westend's Revenge

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 09:47 PM

Dogfish,
We stay in a spot down the beach, not right in Sekiu. If you've ever wandered into the little marine/tackle shop in the middle of town in the AM we have probably met. My wife and I tend the store during the morning hours, especially on the weekends. Last year we were up there from June to November. Since we want to attend our grandson's HS graduation this year, we plan to get there in May, and probably leave in October. 'Sure hope fishing is as good this year as it was last year.
Westend's Revenge

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 01/31/02 10:30 PM

I'll keep that in mind next time I head up there. I usually stay at Rhonda's place, the Coho resort. Post up before you folks head up there this year, and I'll make it a point to stop by.

Andy
Posted by: SteelieDan

Re: Callin' out all you lurkers! - 02/01/02 01:25 AM

Well I'm just so damned in awe of the rest of you that I just plain don't know what to say. Would love to see more from the folks who fish the Mother River though. I'd give my .02, but it never seems to catch fish for me, so. . . .

laugh