breaking rods?

Posted by: HBP

breaking rods? - 01/31/02 08:29 PM

I've read alot of threads about different brands of rods and it seems like alot of you have broken some of these high end rods ( loomis, lamiglas etc. ) do rods get more fragile when the graphite content goes up? , or are you guys just hard on rods? I'm still trying to decide on a new rod, but I'm a little nervous about shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a rod that won't last. Thanks.
Posted by: JR32

Re: breaking rods? - 01/31/02 08:38 PM

the higher end rods are more fragile this is because the graphite is thinner making the rod lighter and more sensitive. Any high end rod should come with a garuntee against failure due to workmanship which covers most fishing situations. The rainshadow's I have built have this garuntee and I assume loomis and lamiglass do also.
Posted by: G-MAN

Re: breaking rods? - 01/31/02 09:29 PM

Go to Walmart, buy the Shimano Convergance IM6 rod for $49.00. I have two of them in my boat. If you don't think it a nice rod for the money, take it back. No problems on returns at WallyWorld. I have 22 rods and I'm impressed with these. Originally bought one for the other guys in my boat, smile but liked it so much I bought another.
Posted by: ltlCLEO

Re: breaking rods? - 01/31/02 11:06 PM

I have the same problem with the high end rods I break them.They are a wonder to fish with,sesitive and light but I have broken too many to shell out the bucks only to break them!Even with the life time guarentees I don't like hiking into a favorite canyon to have a rod break and have to hike out with that sick feeling in my gut.I find the im6 blanks to be as tough as they get!
Posted by: Vic

Re: breaking rods? - 02/01/02 12:36 AM

Breaking Rods is one topic I am definitely an expert on (Just ask the guys at Teds they will tell you). I have near 20 rods and they are all Loomis or Sage. As you go up the line in the Loomis Rods they get more fragile. They also get lighter and more sensitive. I use to fish with cheap rods and have decided that the better rods are worth the money. The only time Loomis ever charged me anything on the rods I returned was when I did something stupid to the rod (I let one bounce out of the boat on the way home and it got ran over cost me $50 to get a $225 rod replaced) . Most of the time they just fixed the damaged piece and sent it back no questions asked.
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: breaking rods? - 02/01/02 01:04 AM

laugh laugh laugh Vic, you have got to be the only person that I know that has broken an 1141 GL3 twice over.
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: breaking rods? - 02/01/02 01:05 AM

go with a st. croix. im very pleased with mine
tyler
Posted by: Tchinouk

Re: breaking rods? - 02/01/02 01:24 AM

Best Rod for the money is the Buzz Special Berkley IM7 I have purchased a couple that I havebeen using regularly for 6 years now never a problem I have never paid more than 50.00 bucks becouse they usually go on sale once or twice a year. I know alot of people on the Harbor who are using these becouse of the price and quality.
Posted by: bardo

Re: breaking rods? - 02/01/02 08:48 AM

ditto on the im7 . i broke four expensive rods this year before i started using cheap rods. if you are going to horse a fish or reef on your rod, you should use a heavier or cheap rod.
Posted by: willierower

Re: breaking rods? - 02/01/02 06:34 PM

A high end rod shoould last a lifetime. I own or have owned a bunch of Loomis, Lamiglas, Sage, St. Croix.... you name it Ive owned it. I cant recall the last time I broke a rod while fishing. Most breakages I have had occurred at home.

If you use the rod the way it was designed to be used it should never break.

If you dot want to spend $200 plus on a nice rod. Check out the Allstar Elite series. I now have a couple of them. Sweet rods for the money.