Fishing alone/ photographing CNR?

Posted by: fishnjunkie

Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 03:35 AM

How about some advice, or comedic attempts, to photograph your wild chromer, before you BONK your knee while releasing it. The catch is, I fish alone 99% of the time, and am worried about the safe return of the fish. But would like to have a Pict to put in the books..
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 04:02 AM

Take a look at the Dolly Pic I posted earlier today. I hold most of my fish like that when I take pics of them when Im alone. Very safe for the fish as I dont take them completely out of the water and you still can get a good pic.
Posted by: Paranoid

Re: Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 05:40 AM

A couple of days ago I hooked, landed, and successfully released a 41"x24" chrome buck. Believe me it was a three ring circus act. I managed to get a few good pics of the fish as well as a so-so "self portrait". The pics are quality enough to supply the taxidermist with ample to create a repilca mount. I was fortunate to be able to block the fish in a shallow back eddy with my driftboat while I fumbled with the camera. I placed the camera on a stump(a tripod would have been great) and barely had enough time to chase the fish down and get back into the picture. Certainly not front page quality but any solo pic of a without harming the fish is a trophy in itself. Good luck!
Posted by: ltlCLEO

Re: Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 10:02 AM

That is the ONLY draw back to fishing alone.Rich g picture is probably the best way to do it without harming the fish.I have taken them with my foot right next to the fish in the shallows for size referance but didn't like the results.I have a stack of pictures like that but I finally quit taking them.I look forward to my wife coming along to take pictures anymore.The rivers that I fish are not made for two fisherman,so memories will have to do for now.I have caught some high teen maybe 20lb fish on the solduck took pictures but they have always turned out like sh**.I always felt like I did more harm than good.I already have a couple of trips planned in march april with my dad this year so hopefully I will get some good pics.I chose dad because he has a killer dig camera!Plus he has never caught a steelhead!Is he in for a surprise?
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 10:05 AM

yeah I have the same problem, I fish 99% alone to and have had about 4 pictures taken in 4 years. Ben
Posted by: Steel-Addicted

Re: Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 10:54 AM

I learned the art of "one man fishing" back in the good old days of CNR on the Sky.

1. Use a camera that has a lanyard. Put the camera around your neck, and tuck it into your vest or waders.
2. As soon as you get the fish hooked solidly, pull out the camera, and get ready to take a few shots of the fish while playing it.
3. Slide the fish into shallow water, or slightly onto the bank. Quickly lay your rod next to the fish, and snap away. Be carefull that the fish does not take off with yuor rod!! This lets you estimate the actual length later.

The big draw back is that by yourself you can not get pics and also measurements without harming the fish in most cases.

---
Steel-Addicted
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Fishing alone/ photographing CNR? - 02/01/02 11:10 AM

I to fish alone. So I leave the camera home. But with all my bad luck I don't have to worry about pictures. Jim S.