Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard

Posted by: Dances with salmon

Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/08/02 03:17 PM

I just had my mechanic check out the outboards on my 1988 Tiderunner and discovered that the 120 hp needs a new power head. I figure if I just fix the powerhead something else will fall apart on me. I'm thinking about digging deep and getting a new bigger 4 stroke outboard instead, Maybe a Yamaha.

Has anyone out there had any experience with the larger Japanese 4 strokers? What about reliability and repairs?
Posted by: StorminN

Re: Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/08/02 04:28 PM

I haven't heard anything about the bigger Yamahas, though I have an older 9.9hp and like it pretty good.

I've heard good things about the bigger Hondas being reliable, though I've also heard that they are a little short on torque. I've heard that the bigger Hondas (like the 70 to 130hp ones, I think) are all based on the Honda Civic 2.2L engine... which is proven to be very reliable.

Not sure when the Vancouver, BC boat show is, it's right around now; I went last year and talked to a Honda dealer from Victoria, if you do decide to repower, you can save thousands of $$$ if you buy it in Canada, and the Honda America people are entitled to honor the warantee.

-N.
Posted by: Dances with salmon

Re: Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/08/02 08:11 PM

Thanks for the tip on purchasing in Canada. I have been cruising the net a bit and it looks like they have some really good prices up there. I wonder where I can get some info on import fees to bring it back and whether or not you have to pay all of their sales taxes if you are going to export the motor directly?
Posted by: HBP

Re: Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/08/02 11:56 PM

I've got a 98' Yamaha 25hp, one word, AWESOME! I dont't know if Yamaha makes a 4 stroke that big, but if they do buy one, you won't be dissapointed.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/09/02 12:10 AM

StorminN, A friend of mine bought a 50 hp. Johnrude in B.C. a couple years ago and got a hell of a deal on it, problem was, he took it to a shop here in Wa. and they told him they couldn't touch it, the Canadian motors do not meet the same emission standards that American motors do, all U.S. sold motors have an emissions sticker on them, repair shops will not do any warranty work on a motor that doesn't have this sticker, can't believe a Honda would be any different.
Posted by: Cpt. Mike

Re: Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/09/02 12:31 AM

Dances w/salmon,

AkKings, is correct about geting service on a motor from BC down here,they will look at it and charge you $150 and tell you they can't help you. I bought a 150 Yamaha last year at the boat show in Puyallup for a boat I have in Mexico, if the 4 stroke is anything like the 2 stroke, buy one. I have already put 300 hrs on the motor in less than 5 months and I love it. I will run this one a couple more years and figure on buying a 4 stroke for a replacement. I have a 150 merc. on a Trophy and there is no way the Merc. comes close to the Yamaha. Gas in Mexico is over $2.00 per gal and the yamaha uses 1/3 less fuel and about 1/2 as much oil as the Merc. When you start it up not even a hint of smoke. Just a real nice engine and lots of power and very quiet. Most people only put on about 40 to 50 hrs a year. Thats 6 years so far.
Posted by: ET

Re: Repowering with a 4 stroke outboard - 02/09/02 01:12 AM

All(domestic or import) of the 2002 four-stroke motors that I have seen meet 2006 CA emissions standards. I can understand dealers being irked to see all the Canadian motors coming down here, so they probably will try to get a few extra bucks off you when you ask for warranty work. But if you stick with Yamaha and do your maintenance, I doubt you will need warranty work! Great motors!!