best steelhead vest

Posted by: black marlin

best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 06:51 PM

what is your fav way to carry arownd your steelhead stuff on the river? Im thinking adout a vest, what is ypur fav vest?
Posted by: ONTHESAUK

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 07:03 PM

I have ended up using a fanny pack. Find it a little easier to get in and out of, stays dry under my rain gear and provides a belt for my chest waders.
Posted by: Metalhead Mojo

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 07:41 PM

you might want to look at a filson.
ive got their foul weather vest, its expensive, but the inside stays dry in a downpour and built to last forever.
Posted by: G-MAN

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 08:01 PM

I make my butler carry all my stuff. Frees up my casting and supplies him with a pay check. He also cleans all my fish, my truck, ties my leaders and cures my eggs. I highly recomend a butler over a vest or fanny pack. laugh
Posted by: JacobF

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 09:38 PM

I like the Xtream. It's waterproof, lots of pockets, and has a rod holder so you can have your hands free to tie up.
Posted by: Sid Fishious

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 09:47 PM

Just thought I'd put my .02 in. Theres a company in Seattle named Xtreme that makes very heavy duty steelhead vests at a reasonable price. They are well thought out and of the highest quality.And no I don't have any affiliation with them. Just trying to help!

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 10:31 PM

G-Man can i borrow your buttler???
sounds just what i'm looken for

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 10:35 PM

do you have a web site for these xtreme vest
Posted by: RockLizard

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 10:50 PM

Ive got one of the Cablelas, nice vest but wish it was waterproof. Next one I get will be.
Sid Fishious...coolest name Ive seen yet, hilarious.
Tight Lines
RL
Posted by: jon

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 11:05 PM

I use one made by Coldwater Pack Co. It's made with the NW winter fisherman in mind.It's tough and this one will not fall apart or split seams. I now see them being sold down at Sportsco for around $69 or $79 I can't remember which. And that is a good deal cause I paid around $89 for mine a few years ago. And I thought I was getting a good deal then becuase I saw them for as high as $99 at other places.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 11:09 PM

I personally use the one out of cabelas also. It seems to have plenty of pockets and reality is I wish it didn't have so many pockets because I tend to pack too much stuff..
Keith laugh
Posted by: CRAVEN MOOREHEAD

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/08/02 11:48 PM

I agree with Onthesauk, the fanny pack is the way to go. Takes all the weight and stress off your shoulders and puts it down on your hips.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 06:54 PM

I have a brown Field and Stream vest. Has enough pockets for all my crap. I think I'd be lost without it. Its got to be the best thing to carry around. Hooks and snubbies in plastic container, and hook file in the left front pocket. Three colors of yarn above with scissors, nail clipper. Lead and Leatherman in the front right pocket. Knife. Corkies, spin and glos, jigs, rags, etc. in the little front pockets. Also carry floats, spinners, pink worms, license and pen.
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 07:45 PM

First off, if you're worried about waterproof vests, buy one you like and waterproof it with some of the sprays on the market.

Ok, I have an old Cabela's shortie model thta has held up quite wel. The short length is great for dep wading. Plus it has JUST enough pockets. I've fond over theyears, th more pockets you have,the more CRAP you put in them. Once I downscaled, the more I put th gear I needd, adnnot so much extra stuff. I also have a chest pack, but am giog t sell it here shortly. I'm loking at buyin a vest or pack just for y fly fishing. Looking at either the Verticle master by Sims or a chest pack thtath Fly Shop exlusively caries. This is only for my fly fising mind you. But vest wise, an for he money, I like te Cabela's, an with th spray is waterproof.

Just my .02
Posted by: centerpin

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 07:46 PM

I like the BC style vest it has big pockets,the back and sholders are lined with waterproof matrial,there is a large opening that wraps around like a shotters vest,I have packed lots of brats out in it.I havent seen anything close to it in the US. cool cool
Posted by: DMK

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 07:57 PM

The Stearn's vest with the inflatable bladder is great.I fish nearly every day in boats and solo onthe bank in some hairy spots. I've never had to use the safety catch but it's nice to have the added confidence whereever you'r out.
Posted by: pimpinshrimp

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 08:31 PM

I use a fanny pack from mad dog gear for fishing silvers. But I use the coldwater pac vest for steelhead fishing it has fleece lined pockets to keep the sausages warm.
Posted by: Metalhead Mojo

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 09:09 PM

pimpinshrimp...do you recommend drifting them with a corkie or hanging the sausages under a float?? :p
Posted by: pimpinshrimp

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/09/02 09:40 PM

I recomend a rocket red wing bobber. but you have to take a bite before you use them
Posted by: North

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/10/02 12:13 AM

The Danielson Easy Drifter is my favorite. It has the right pockets in the right places, and costs less then $20 bucks. Almost disposable at that price. Holds up pretty well too.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/11/02 10:24 AM

I also bought the vest from coldwater. They have a websight http://www.coldwaterpacks.com

This is a reporduction of the old columbia steelheader vest but with some improvements. Buy this vest and it will last you a lifetime, the material is very heavy and durable.
Posted by: Old Man

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/11/02 01:24 PM

I don't think that whatever vest that you buy will be good enough. They never seem to have enough pockets. I have one for gear fishing and one for fly fishing. I just can't seem to get all my fly boxes in my vest. I carry 5 boxes. Don't ask me why because I don't know the answer. Jim S. laugh
Posted by: Fishslayer75

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/11/02 04:38 PM

Jacob and my self just had this conversation on sat. The xtreme vest are awesome and the new one that Soos is putting out will hold your fish in the back lower half which will make for a nice walk out of the hole. Very well thought out unit.

Bill
Posted by: Jellyhead

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/11/02 05:16 PM

I use a "purse" of sorts. Actually it's like the old soft sided creels. It has a shoulder strap that I put over my Right shoulder and the bag hangs under my left arm. I've really downsized the contents of my vest recently, and can get all I need in this thing. Works great for me ,all of my bait, and gear right at my side.

Aaron
Posted by: Thumper

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/11/02 08:41 PM

I am fascinated with the concept of floating after I fall out of my sled or off the cataraft. So I use the Stormy Seas inflatable vest.
Posted by: PrimeEvil

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/11/02 08:57 PM

i use the stearns co2 vest with the rip cord.. i hope i dont need it.. but you never know!
Posted by: Migrating_Smolt

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/12/02 12:31 AM

After much searching I have found some information on Xstream Fly Fishing and Outdoor Gear.
The website is out of date but, after talking with Sōs, I feel that they are out to make the highest quality and most useful vest out there.

Xstream web site
Prices:
Xstream Deluxe - $130.00 (This is one one described with a pocket in the rear to carry fish)
Xstream Regular - $85.00

The website lists an 1-888 number that did not work for me. I should be getting pictures of the vest(s) soon. Hopefully I will get them soon, as it is time to replace the old vest...

-Stephen
Posted by: StorminN

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/12/02 01:21 AM

I just saw that XStream vest for the first time this past Saturday, and met Sos for the first time, too.

The XStream vest looks awesome, if I didn't already own a CO2 inflatable Stearns vest, I'd buy the XStream one... it has way more pockets than the Stearns, and seems to be very well thought out. That Sos guy fishes a lot, is my impression. I expecially liked the cutaway at the back of the neck and the fleece detail there. Check it out.

-N.
Posted by: mt. mike

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/14/02 10:36 PM

If you are fishin out here just get the warmest vest you can find. don't worry about pockets of waterproof, as it will b covered up by at least 2 different layers anyway. I usually "borrow" my sons down vest iit is warm and nice and light.
Posted by: High Rod

Re: best steelhead vest - 02/15/02 02:05 AM

I use one of those stearns with a ripcord also. Wonder though, if I have so much tackle stuffed in the thing that it will act like a lead vest rather than a life vest if I ever needed it. eek